Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thailand Do's & Don'ts

Thailand Do's & Don'ts

I've been working on some stickies/faqs for the forum and came up with the idea of having a quick glance do's and don'ts thread. I've got a start, by no means comprehensive aimed at complete newbs or people who went for a trip and came back a little bewildered with the place. One or two sentences max, so add away and we should have a pretty good resource here for visitors.

Do’s and Don’ts
    Do drink lots of bottled water, it’s cheap (10 baht in 7/11)and available everywhere and your hotel will probably leave you a couple of bottles for free every day.

Don’t get so drunk that you make yourself a target, there are plenty of bad people in Thailand especially around the nightlife areas looking to make an easy baht.

Do try some Thai food, western food is easily available in the main tourist areas but Thai food is great and good for you – they know westerners aren’t great for spicy food so just tell them - no spicy!

Don’t insult the King or royal family, this can extend to stepping on a banknote, always respect the Thai royal family.

Do try the local beers – Chang and Singha being the most popular, it’s cheaper too!

Don’t disrespect the bargirls, they’re people too, treat them good and they’ll look after you.

Do visit a few temples, they really can be extraordinary places.

Don’t ring the barbell without checking how much it costs first, not having enough baht on you will mean you’ll be marched to the nearest ATM.

Do haggle in the markets, it’s expected and fun and you might get a bargain.

Don’t lose your cool or shout when haggling, it won’t get you anywhere.

Do go see some Muay Thai or kick boxing, fights happen all the time and it’s a cheap night out.

Don’t shake an Indian tailors hand – It’s weird at first and seems rude but once they have you they don’t like letting go. It’s ok, they’re well used to it.

Do try and learn some Thai, the locals love teaching you and get great sanuk/fun out of our bad attempts to speak Thai.

Don’t be flash with your cash, again it makes you a target, take enough for a good night out, leave some money in your safe for your friend in the morning.

Do change money in Thailand, you’ll get a better rate and no commission is charged. Exchange booths are everywhere.

Don’t forget to bag up, STD’s and the sex industry can go hand in hand, bear in mind condoms don’t protect against all STD’s so if there’s a doubt about the Girl’s health back off, pay her and put it down to a lesson learned.

Do bring your own condoms, there’s lots for sale in Thailand but not with westerners sizes in mind

Don’t ever get into a fight with a Thai, unless you’re life is being threatened and you’ve got to defend yourself it’s a big no-no. Gangs go fishing for fights, it might start with one guy but it won’t end that way.

Do agree prices up front, this goes for taxi’s, tuk-tuks, Ladies, markets etc etc. A deals a deal.

Don’t worry too much, it can be all a little intimidating at first but soon enough it’ll be second nature. There’s record tourist numbers going to Thailand, there’s good reasons for it.

Do tell us about your experience, trip reports are a great part of the forum, they help other travellers and you’ll get to relive your memories.

Don’t take a photo of someone unless asking them first, particularly ladyboys . A lot of bargirls don’t want it known that they work in the bar, once you get to know them this can change

Have fun, it's your holiday.
    Don't be intimated by a bar girl, into doing something you don't want to do and having them make you feel bad about it..
    Don't lie/ say things you can't deliver on or make false promises.
    Don't buy gold on your first date.

My advice is always simple in reference to the girls... stay in the driver's seat. Do NOT put her in control... that is how nightmares start...

Also, some of the best real state advice I ever got applies here... if you never put yourself in a position to get screwed over, it's pretty difficult to get screwed over... I was reminded of this in the gym today, talking to a guy there who was a nice enough dude, seen him around a few months but never really talked too much (I'm there long enough already)... today we spoke and he shared that he's newly single after 2 years of marriage... she was amazing at first, so he married her after 6 months, then after another 6 months they bought a house (her name, of course)... then after a year, he finally found the ideal spot & opened a restaurant (her name again, because it's so much easier)... then she started to change... they started fighting a lot... he eventually had to walk away after sinking a big chunk of his life savings into the house & biz... but kudos to him, he readily admitted "It's my fault... stupid to put her name on everything like that... I trusted her, but people change... I got screwed over but I can only blame myself... live and learn"... you said it...
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 28th April 2013 at 22:07.

So.
    Do have fun.

Don't fall in love especially on the first night.

Do stay in control

Don't let her dictate your holiday.

Do remember the girls are pro's, they've fooled plenty of guys before you came along.

Don't take two girls from the same bar(unless they're lesbo's 555)

Do go with the flow and go by what feels right.

Don't make too many plans as they rarely happen.

As this is Asia Info. Maybe make it more SE Asia focussed?

Or is this forum going to be Thailand focussed?

don't act like a fool at immigration or around the cops
    dont tap thais on the head
    dont point your feet or toes at them
    dont get a haircut on Wednesday
    don't stop and look when enrtering a moving traffic lane just gooooo man....
    dont slow down or stop at a just turning yellow to red light you will get rear ended for sure
    do take two ladies home at least one time its fantastic
    do ring the bell but not over do it
    do drink some shots of LAO KAOW on the street corner after being up all night
    do soapie's

lots more do's than don'ts ENJOY

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    As this is Asia Info. Maybe make it more SE Asia focussed?

Or is this forum going to be Thailand focussed?
    My impression is that although the site name is Asia info it will still predominantly focus on Thailand as that's where the expertise of a lot of the members are, there are more Cambodia trips sneaking onto the radar but I certainly don't have enough knowledge to do any write ups about there. The old site used to have different sections for other countries so maybe in time this could happen. A lot of advice here is pretty general anyway so translates well for other countries in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Me123 View Post
    dont get a haircut on Wednesday
    If only I had known this before, that was how it all started......

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    If only I had known this before, that was how it all started......
    It's funny I never heard of this one until I started to swot up on some language revision for my next trip and stumbled across something on Thai superstitions. This article gives a few possible explanations.

Thai superstition ? Why no haircuts on Wednesday? | Learn Thai with Mod

Do what YOU want to do. Don't be held hostage by pouting, tears, or jealousy. It is YOUR money and YOUR holiday....always keep that in mind. I have seen MANY holidays ruined by the antics of an immature tg.

and don't pay any attention to anyone else's rules.....555
    soupdragon, Changone and Dkdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    55, do what Nelson says, it's true and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    and don't say you weren't told about falling in love, ringing the bell, ladyboys, tuk-tuks etc. 555.

pretty simple

just be normal

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    My advice is always simple in reference to the girls... stay in the driver's seat. Do NOT put her in control... that is how nightmares start...

Also, some of the best real state advice I ever got applies here... if you never put yourself in a position to get screwed over, it's pretty difficult to get screwed over... I was reminded of this in the gym today, talking to a guy there who was a nice enough dude, seen him around a few months but never really talked too much (I'm there long enough already)... today we spoke and he shared that he's newly single after 2 years of marriage... she was amazing at first, so he married her after 6 months, then after another 6 months they bought a house (her name, of course)... then after a year, he finally found the ideal spot & opened a restaurant (her name again, because it's so much easier)... then she started to change... they started fighting a lot... he eventually had to walk away after sinking a big chunk of his life savings into the house & biz... but kudos to him, he readily admitted "It's my fault... stupid to put her name on everything like that... I trusted her, but people change... I got screwed over but I can only blame myself... live and learn"... you said it...
    did she change or did he just not know her?
    marrying someone in a foreign country after only knowing them 6months is foolish

Do make pictures or film, don`t forget your camera.

Interesting topic, I may use some of the information to revise my page

Do keep your finger nails trimmed. It hurts the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Interesting topic, I may use some of the information to revise my page
    There's some good ones on that too, might do a bit of merging. Is that your site MrDK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast