Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Travel Insurance with Existing Health Issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    19

    Travel Insurance with Existing Health Issues

    I am back of to Thailand at the end of June and have recently had a triple bypass on my heart and the main valve replaced.

    These things I now have to declare on my medical insurance.
    Has anyone had any experience of insuring for traveling from Australia and insuring for these sorts of pre existing problems, plus have any idea on approx costs to do so.

    I have been looking tonight and from what I have researched so far I have found a company called Covermore that seem to be fairly reasonable. At present they want an extra $200 on top of the normal premium to cover me for the operations I have had plus the fact I am taking Warfarin & Cholestrol medication at present.

    If anyone has any ideas on other companies to try, it would be great if you can let me know.

    My operations were only 6 months ago, so really need to make sure I have enough cover just in case anything happens as I will be in Samui for all of my trip, not on the mainland.
    Last edited by greenwood; 2nd May 2013 at 00:41.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    If that extra $200 includes cover for the existing conditions and post-surgery possibilities I find that reasonable.

    Most Oz plans use the same underlying insurer - Allianz or use the same healthcare monitor/provider - Mondial - so you may find only small variations in price.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    If that extra $200 includes cover for the existing conditions and post-surgery possibilities I find that reasonable.

    Most Oz plans use the same underlying insurer - Allianz or use the same healthcare monitor/provider - Mondial - so you may find only small variations in price.
    Cheers Baz, my GF is looking at getting a joint one for us via her travel agency where she works and that is backed by Allianz. I was a bit sceptical with using anything that Allianz was invovled in as they have had some bad raps in Aus in relation to house and car insurance. But will certainly look into it.
    I to thought that $200 on top of the normal premium for me on my own was a pretty reasonable charge, given what I have had done.

    Will post later once I have sorted it out, if I find any helpful tips to help people in a similar situation

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    I too face problems in that I have a progressive paralysis and I'm over 70.
    Another complication is that the maximum I can extend is for two years, without starting a "new journey", which means two tickets, wheelchairs, a Oz visa etc etc.
    So, after advocating and carrying private health insurance for 50+ years, now, when I might really need it, I can't get it overseas.
    I guess I'll carry "clear" credit cards.

    Although health costs are less here than in the West I have read/seen many Thais whose life savings and assets have been devoured by the need for prompt, serious healthcare which simply is not covered in many provinces by the "30 baht Thaksin scheme" due to underfunding and lack of specialties.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    781
    I would be interested in finding out whether or not medivac costs are covered in the event of a serious problem like heart attack or stroke most of which will presumably be classed as "Pre existing" by an insurer.
    Who wants to be faced with that kind of "Who's paying for all this?" decision while lying on a stretcher awaiting transport.
    Those doing the medivac would call the insurers first to get the green light, (or collect the deeds to your house).
    Once back home presumably your local health care system would take over.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I would be interested in finding out whether or not medivac costs are covered in the event of a serious problem like heart attack or stroke most of which will presumably be classed as "Pre existing" by an insurer.
    Who wants to be faced with that kind of "Who's paying for all this?" decision while lying on a stretcher awaiting transport.
    Those doing the medivac would call the insurers first to get the green light, (or collect the deeds to your house).
    Once back home presumably your local health care system would take over.
    Good question.
    First - read the fine print on the Exclusions.
    The decision on "pre-existing conditions" will be assessed on medical records plus current and past medications.
    e.g. one policy, if you were taking cholesterol or blood pressure or blood sugar medication automatically excluded any subsequent heart condition or stroke.!

    It seems they will get you home for treatment ASAP to get you off their books (as soon as you land).

    Carry a clean credit card ...

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwood View Post
    I am back of to Thailand at the end of June and have recently had a triple bypass on my heart and the main valve replaced.

    These things I now have to declare on my medical insurance.
    Has anyone had any experience of insuring for traveling from Australia and insuring for these sorts of pre existing problems, plus have any idea on approx costs to do so.

    I have been looking tonight and from what I have researched so far I have found a company called Covermore that seem to be fairly reasonable. At present they want an extra $200 on top of the normal premium to cover me for the operations I have had plus the fact I am taking Warfarin & Cholestrol medication at present.

    If anyone has any ideas on other companies to try, it would be great if you can let me know.

    My operations were only 6 months ago, so really need to make sure I have enough cover just in case anything happens as I will be in Samui for all of my trip, not on the mainland.
    Who is your Australian private health insurer?

    Ask them about travel insurance. This is what my sister did when she was travelling whilst prego.

    They'll be a bit more expensive but in the end, do you want to risk having to go into surgery in Thailand and not being covered?

  8. #8
    Member IamMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    70
    I got some statements to chronic desease from the internet, just translated to
    english by google.

    "As part of our travel health insurance cover in acutely occurring diseases and accidents - even for the cost of
    treatment of a chronic disease, if the VN did not have to reckon with treatment."

    Thats a statement from Alliance. VN is the insurance taker. I would say it means, if you got for example a coronary
    heart desease and your doctor says you need a stent in the next weeks, they would not pay if that occurs on holiday,
    if you get an unexpected heart attack, have done all your check ups, they would pay.

    "Chronic diseases are also covered so far, if they occur acutely at the resort and are in need of treatment
    in our foreign travel KV conditions."

    Thats a statement from Axa Insurance.

    I would in anyway explicit ask and name the specific desease to the insurance company and print the answer out.
    Last edited by IamMike; 4th May 2013 at 17:03.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Good question.
    First - read the fine print on the Exclusions.
    The decision on "pre-existing conditions" will be assessed on medical records plus current and past medications.
    e.g. one policy, if you were taking cholesterol or blood pressure or blood sugar medication automatically excluded any subsequent heart condition or stroke.!

    It seems they will get you home for treatment ASAP to get you off their books (as soon as you land).

    Carry a clean credit card ...
    Baz, I get that pre existing will be assessed and yes I've got the trifecta of medications.
    Just need to know when they will do their assessment, and tell me if they will cover me if I tell them at the start.
    I always carry twocredit cards in case the first one fails...555

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Baz, I get that pre existing will be assessed and yes I've got the trifecta of medications.
    Just need to know when they will do their assessment, and tell me if they will cover me if I tell them at the start.
    I always carry twocredit cards in case the first one fails...555
    If they are not happy when you declare pre-existing conditions (if you want coverage for them?) they will require a medical questionnaire or examination/report before they give you a quote.
    They then should clearly list your exclusions.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 5th May 2013 at 18:59.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    If they are not happy when you declare pre-existing conditions (if you want coverage for them?) they will require a medical questionnaire or examination/report before they give you a quote.
    They then should clearly list your exclusions.
    Ok well got it all sorted and ended up going with Covermore, cost of the standard policy is $100AUD plus $78.00 to cover pre existing conditions that they have asked questions about. I had a triple bypass plus the aortic valve replaced and they have covered all of those conditions.

    They have covered me for Schaemic Heart Disease, Aortic Valve Replacement, Heart Bypass and Cholestrol Levels.

    I have shopped around and all seem to ask the same questions, I gave exactly the same answers, and most would not cover the existing conditions.
    I have screen dumped all of the questions pages on what I have been asked to disclose, so if anyone wants to see them, let me know by pm and I can email you some copies.

    Just as a side issue and something that is very relevant to Thailand in particular, this company also will cover for moped/motorcycle riding as well. I think there is a limit of upto 250cc, but can check if anyone is interested. Not a lot of the other companies even ever asked the question when doing an assessment.

    Another good thing with this company is that other than travel to USA/Canada/NZ & UK, the help line for them company is an Australian number, so if needed, there should be no communication problems.

    So I am happy with what I have found and now looking forward to my trip.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMike View Post
    I got some statements to chronic desease from the internet, just translated to
    english by google.

    "As part of our travel health insurance cover in acutely occurring diseases and accidents - even for the cost of
    treatment of a chronic disease, if the VN did not have to reckon with treatment."

    Thats a statement from Alliance. VN is the insurance taker. I would say it means, if you got for example a coronary
    heart desease and your doctor says you need a stent in the next weeks, they would not pay if that occurs on holiday,
    if you get an unexpected heart attack, have done all your check ups, they would pay.

    "Chronic diseases are also covered so far, if they occur acutely at the resort and are in need of treatment
    in our foreign travel KV conditions."

    Thats a statement from Axa Insurance.

    I would in anyway explicit ask and name the specific desease to the insurance company and print the answer out.
    Personally I try to steer clear of anything that is backed or anything to do with Allianz. They have a shocking reputation here with home and car insurances and in no way would I trust them with travel insurance. The one my GF was trying to get me to take, was backed by them, but lucky enough they would not cover me.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Dodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    Just a bit of info for expats on medical insurance, Axa has a policy that will insure people under the age of 80 and will include pre-exisiting conditions. They cover a certain percentage (think from inception 75%, but will have to check the correct percentage) of the claim on pre-exisiting conditions for the first 2 years, if still renewing with them after this time, they will include the conditions 100%, Costs are reasonable and they have 4 differing cover levels, plus you can opt for excess to further reduce premium levels and start partially self insuring.

    Tip start a company/group scheme, need 5 members minimum and premiums really tumble even further.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •