Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: United 200usd chnage fee

United 200usd chnage fee

This is just getting downright criminal

they have now raised the cost of cancelling/changing your ticket to 200usd!
    I mean when is the govt going to step in and do something about this? They won't because the politicians are bought by the airline lobbyists
    Tarzan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

I mean when is the govt going to step in and do something about this? They won't because the politicians are bought by the airline lobbyists
    They all fly on our nickel, so what the fuck do they care?

Why not just use a different airline? If I'm flying in the US, I almost always use Southwest because no bag fee and no change fee.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post

Why not just use a different airline? If I'm flying in the US, I almost always use Southwest because no bag fee and no change fee.
    impossible for my routes
    well i could fly Cathay, which i do if i am just flying to NYC, but if i am adding Boston, then i need to fly United

impossible for my routes
    well i could fly Cathay, which i do if i am just flying to NYC, but if i am adding Boston, then i need to fly United
    Well that sucks. I agree that the fees are ridiculous and wish more airlines would do like Southwest does. Free market will typically take care of BS like this, but if all the other airlines are falling in line, makes it tough.

Since the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 (U.S.), the airlines are pretty much left to choose where and when they fly, and how much they charge for their service.

With profit margins slimmed down, and "load factors" having to be extremely high to produce profits, they are within their rights and justified to charge for cancellations and changes. After all, that seat you have booked is a very perishable product.

Same applies to all the luxuries of air travel, having gone away.

You want cheap fares, you got em'! 555

This from wiki and sounds about right...

In 2011, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer (who worked with Senator Kennedy on airline deregulation in the 1970s) wrote:
    What does the industry's history tell us? Was this effort worthwhile? Certainly it shows that every major reform brings about new, sometimes unforeseen, problems. No one foresaw the industry's spectacular growth, with the number of air passengers increasing from 207.5 million in 1974 to 721.1 million last year. As a result, no one foresaw the extent to which new bottlenecks would develop: a flight-choked Northeast corridor, overcrowded airports, delays, and terrorist risks consequently making air travel increasingly difficult. Nor did anyone foresee the extent to which change might unfairly harm workers in the industry. Still, fares have come down. Airline revenue per passenger mile has declined from an inflation-adjusted 33.3 cents in 1974, to 13 cents in the first half of 2010. In 1974 the cheapest round-trip New York-Los Angeles flight (in inflation-adjusted dollars) that regulators would allow: $1,442. Today one can fly that same route for $268. That is why the number of travelers has gone way up. So we sit in crowded planes, munch potato chips, flare up when the loudspeaker announces yet another flight delay. But how many now will vote to go back to the "good old days" of paying high, regulated prices for better service? Even among business travelers, who wants to pay "full fare for the briefcase?"[
    Last edited by Pablo; 30th October 2013 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Since the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 (U.S.), the airlines are pretty much left to choose where and when they fly, and how much they charge for their service.

With profit margins slimmed down, and "load factors" having to be extremely high to produce profits, they are within their rights and justified to charge for cancellations and changes. After all, that seat you have booked is a very perishable product.

Same applies to all the luxuries of air travel, having gone away.

You want cheap fares, you got em'! 555

This from wiki and sounds about right...
    United collected 2bil in chnage fees last year and their profit projects to be right around 2bil

so i guess they are a change fee company now, not an airline

there should be chnage fees, but not extortion

2 weeks ago southwest charged me $90 to change my flight by 3hrs. That was from LV to Sacto.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Is that for all tickets?

Isn't it that usually for cheap tickets you either can't change or only for a very expensive fee.
    If you take a flexible ticket, the ticket is more expensive, but the changes/cancellations are cheaper?

I've been really lucky last time flying out of Thailand with Emirates. Completely missed our flight (my fault) by one whole complete day, but got a brand new ticket back home for only 150USD 'no show up' fee.
    if they offer a flight, than they shouldn't extort you to chnage it
    100, even 150 i was fine with, but it is getting mafia like

by the way, i have missed my flight 3 times on Cathay, just showed up a day after i was supposed to
    they put me on that flight all 3 times with no fee

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    2 weeks ago southwest charged me $90 to change my flight by 3hrs. That was from LV to Sacto.
    Yeah but was that a real change fee or were you just paying the difference in the fare?

United collected 2bil in chnage fees last year and their profit projects to be right around 2bil

so i guess they are a change fee company now, not an airline

there should be chnage fees, but not extortion
    The part that I love the most about all this, is that it is turning out just exactly the way the industry leaders said it would, in 1978.

That is to paraphrase one brilliant speech given before congress...."There will be hundreds of thousands of worker's lives upset through airline bankruptcies and cutbacks. Many of the leading airline companies will shut down due to economics. Small communities will have their air service curtailed of eliminated. Yes, you'll attain cheaper fares (for a while), but in the end, the nation will wind up with 3 or 4 major and dominant carriers, who will then be free to fly only where they want, and to charge as they see fit."

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Is that for all tickets?

Isn't it that usually for cheap tickets you either can't change or only for a very expensive fee.
    If you take a flexible ticket, the ticket is more expensive, but the changes/cancellations are cheaper?

I've been really lucky last time flying out of Thailand with Emirates. Completely missed our flight (my fault) by one whole complete day, but got a brand new ticket back home for only 150USD 'no show up' fee.
    That's exactly why I fly Emirates now, they seem to want to help rather than shaft you for mistakes.

Yeah but was that a real change fee or were you just paying the difference in the fare?
    Change fee.

For a chnage?

Seems reasonable to me.
    Dkdude likes this.

Change fee.
    Wow then that is definitely a change for them. My brother works for SWA...I'll have to ask him about it.

The part that I love the most about all this, is that it is turning out just exactly the way the industry leaders said it would, in 1978.

That is to paraphrase one brilliant speech given before congress...."There will be hundreds of thousands of worker's lives upset through airline bankruptcies and cutbacks. Many of the leading airline companies will shut down due to economics. Small communities will have their air service curtailed of eliminated. Yes, you'll attain cheaper fares (for a while), but in the end, the nation will wind up with 3 or 4 major and dominant carriers, who will then be free to fly only where they want, and to charge as they see fit."
    so if United' profit is on track for 2bil this year
    why is the impetus to raise the change fees 33%?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    For a chnage?

Seems reasonable to me.
    It was the night before departure and I didn't mind.

And why are people spelling it "chnage"..555

so if United' profit is on track for 2bil this year
    why is the impetus to raise the change fees 33%?
    Because they can! (it's called commerce)

I'm all for it actually. It's nice to see the industry starting to become more profitable, after years of bankruptcies, closures, layoffs etc. And all this to create a "race to the bottom", so every Tom, Dick, and Hillbilly can fly around at will!

Maybe they can give their employees some pay raises for a change. Instead of all the cutbacks and layoffs they've had to endure for the past 35 years!
    Last edited by Pablo; 30th October 2013 at 03:46.

Change fee.
    My brother is calling you a liar 55. He says they still don't charge a fee for changing your flight. You have to pay the difference in fares, but no fee just for changing.

so every Tom, Dick, and Hillbilly can fly around at will!
    Hey now.......

Hi, first post on the new form.

i changed my ticket which was Pittsburg-Detroit-Tokyo-Bangkok return. Original departure date was 7-Oct., new date was 2-Oct. Close to 500.00 USD to change. 250 for the change fee and 250 for the increase fare rate. Airline was Delta. 5 days difference but worth it, better to be in Thailand than Pennsylvania.
    slampay likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast