Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Drink trends in your country

Drink trends in your country

What's hot at the moment.

Cocktails, whiskey, vodka, smoothies, wines.

Looking for trends in bars, craft beers, flavored vodkas, high end whiskey or any other thoughts??

I don't really frequent bars too often, but craft beers continue to be big here. Seen a lot of advertisements for flavored vodka and high end whiskey. I tend to be boring and stick to the same old lager, pale ale, or Jack Daniels.

JD is whiskey... like it too

My industry, very interested in this.

We are seeing premium brands and high end drinks / offers doing ok. Big feeling for cocktails for the last few years and well supported brands like Bacardi holding up well.

Good whisky has never gone away in the UK and that remains buoyant. Good vodka, Belvedere etc., finds a decent market here, flavoured vodkas not so. Absolut has a foothold but nothing serious.

Craft beers we definitely 'get' over here. We have always had a following for cask beers so we are receptive to premium / quirky stuff. Brewdog are doing very interesting stuff and have an audience, they are brewing craft rather than cask and selling a lot of it; their estate is growing.

Wine is good, we are a receptive market for wine and actually seem to be moving away from the bottom end crap. I would like to say we are moving back towards French wines but we are not, there is still a bit of 'snob value' to French wines. The UK is quite wedded to New World and California in wine terms.

The UK is a mature market so anything new is going to struggle for market share. High street / circuit drinking is on the wane and local 'community' pubs are in their death throes.
    It's been interesting to see the way we have gone over the last few years. The off trade has upped its game in a big way and we have a fantastic range of products available.

The on trade has been in decline for the last decade or so.

If your offer is good, regardless of on trade or off, you will find a market. If your offer is not so good you are going to struggle.
    PadMC likes this.

Really like Chase English Vodka , smooth no need for a mixer , plus the Marmalade flavoured version
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Is that a potato vodka?

I just don't get the cupcake, whipped cream, etc flavored vodkas but I guess they're marketing to the young female or gay demographic and not the hillbilly demographic 55

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    I just don't get the cupcake, whipped cream, etc flavored vodkas but I guess they're marketing to the young female or gay demographic and not the hillbilly demographic 55
    Yes, your hillbilly market is pretty, um, basic. Not a lot to be had there...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Is that a potato vodka?
    Yes

http://www.chasedistillery.co.uk/Chase-Vodka.htm
    Last edited by Stillearly; 4th May 2013 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Thought so, we don't see a lot of it.

The Frisco young crowd/ the latest techies/ are big on creative mixed drinks. Bartenders are the new super stars making concoctions with herbs and citrus and such. And they get a high price for them too. A new bar/restaurant called Hard Water is a big Bourbon Bar. Many brands on offer.

I think over here, it's imported drinks that are on trend now. I see many pubs serve Asahi now.

50 baht singha happy hours still trending here.......555

actually one new one I have noticed is this pink creamy tequila (boom boom) shot the gals seem to be all asking for lately..I think its called Tequila Rose

Bleezers and Smirnoff Ice still as popular as ever
    as for me....vodka soda minaow...been drinking that for about 40 years 555

Tequila Rose is like a strawberry Beylis based on Tequila........very good, but I think it's asking for hangovers to drink much of it...
    In Ranong the most popular is still Leo Beer, Regency and SangSom.
    I stick to beer these days.

In South Africa wine with the cultured types down here in the Western Cape and brandy and coke up TWD's way 5555

^^ The girls in Pattaya seemed to have stopped drinking TR, a couple said it's nice but when they are being sick it just smells to bad 555

Now we're approaching the summer months in England, Cider and the numerous flavours seem to be the popular drink at the moment!!
    Its a pint of bitter a gin and tonic and a baileys, I call them uhhh....ladyboys!! สจวร์ต

Yeah the UK went silly cider (with ice) crazy about 3 or 4 years ago in the summers months.. Tho as someone who likes a drop of cider, not necessarily scrumpy but often the cloudier, more natural ones... Something like Addlestones etc is a fine drop..

I found all the popular ones being pushed were alco pop type super sweet stuff.. Natch (about all I can find in bars in Chiang Mai), Magners or that awful magners pear and some other fruit concotion jobbers being even worse. High sugar, chemy type flavorings, stuff like that.

Emu Export (known as wife basher years ago) is now trending amongst the younger crowd.

NZ's boutique breweries are producing some fabulous craft beer and cider >

NZ wheat beers were always a favourite. Now, in Thailand I enjoy a dry, high rice/grain ratio ARCHA, which is very similar to Asahi.

There's a trend in western cultures, moving away from the big brewers (tasteless lolly water), toward more expensive yet healthier (certainly tastier) craft brews. This has lead to major brewing conglomerates buying into the market, especially in NZ.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast