Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: International Licenses

International Licenses

Phuket NEWS: Tourism Minister: International licenses a must for P

A sensible move or another opportunity for the BIB to gouge tourists for a few hundred baht?

If it gets the idiots that obviously can't properly control their machines off the roads then that has to be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    If it gets the idiots that obviously can't properly control their machines off the roads then that has to be a positive.
    I dont think this applies to locals

Best thing that could happen to non residents to enforce IDP/IDL

What you reckon is % of tourists with a proper motorbike licence along with IDP?

I think they should not enforce this when there is no public transport system between beaches or around the Island..

You don't see tourists doing monos on a Click or Mio.
    Certainly enforce a motorbike-endorsed IDP/IDL for the bigger hoon bikes IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post

What you reckon is % of tourists with a proper motorbike licence along with IDP?
    Yes but its legal to ride a <125 without a full bike license.

At a guess I would say about zero. This of course means that no tourists can rent a mc and will be forced to use tuk tuks and taxis.

I had an interesting flight last week when I sat next to Chirat Sukban, the Deputy Mayor of Patong. I won't go into too much detail what we chatted about on an open forum but he did say that big changes are afoot for Patong. He stuck me as a very intelligent well educated man and if his visions for the future pan out as he says it will be a huge improvement on how things are now.

At a guess I would say about zero. This of course means that no tourists can rent a mc and will be forced to use tuk tuks and taxis.

I had an interesting flight last week when I sat next to Chirat Sukban, the Deputy Mayor of Patong. I won't go into too much detail what we chatted about on an open forum but he did say that big changes are afoot for Patong. He stuck me as a very intelligent well educated man and if his visions for the future pan out as he says it will be a huge improvement on how things are now.
    i wonder how on top of everyday matters people like him and his staff are in tune with
    not a critcism at all
    meaning, people like us on forums, living there sort of get the news "1st hand"
    i wonder how fast or slow it trickles down to them

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i wonder how on top of everyday matters people like him and his staff are in tune with
    not a critcism at all
    Like I said I am not happy about discussing too many details on an open forum but the impression I was left with was the powers that be are very aware of the everyday issues facing foreigners on Phuket, what is currently lacking is the will to make changes. It was a very candid and enlightening conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yes but its legal to ride a <125 without a full bike license.
    Yes but how many will have IDP with even a normal driving license covering you for <125. All said it will be 300 baht or thereabouts fine, hard to envisage enforcement other than the usual checkpoints

Yes but how many will have IDP with even a normal driving license covering you for <125. All said it will be 300 baht or thereabouts fine, hard to envisage enforcement other than the usual checkpoints

That's my take on it, another gouging tool at the checkpoints. It might be very relevant when there are accidents though, who should and should not be on the road etc.

Did he flirt with you ??

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    not a critcism at all
    Ohh hes involved in the nuts and bolts no question..

His finger is in too many pies not to know..

Actually, I dont have a UK big bike license, but they have stamped bikes on my IDP on the last few I had..

I know its going to be used as a money maker.. But seeing people wobble down the rd, people who clearly havent been on a pushbike in years, yet set off into traffic.. I dunno, it makes some sense as a law. Too many other people get hurt, not just the person who falls off.

Actually, I dont have a UK big bike license, but they have stamped bikes on my IDP on the last few I had..

I know its going to be used as a money maker.. But seeing people wobble down the rd, people who clearly havent been on a pushbike in years, yet set off into traffic.. I dunno, it makes some sense as a law. Too many other people get hurt, not just the person who falls off.
    I agree it should be enforced on the basis of safety and much heavier fines would be better as a deterrent for unlicensed drivers

In terms of the IDP, I thought you had to produce the IDP and your home license, diddn't think the IDP was sufficient on its own. assume it's only an issue for you outside Thailand?

The IDP is supposed to be accompanied by, but no one, ever in the world, including western rental companies, have ever asked for that.

Now I have Thai and Cambo bike licenses, and a thai IDP also.. Cambo doesnt issue IDPs as its only a partial signatory..

I could ride in the UK, for a limited time, on my Thai bike IDP.. But getting insurance with it, is probably complicated and costly. Then again so it getting a UK bike license these days.

Did he flirt with you ??
    All over me like a cheap suit and seemed disappointed when I told him I wasn't over-nighting

Did he flirt with you ??
    Bent as a 10 Bob note

Ohh hes involved in the nuts and bolts no question..

His finger is in too many pies not to know..
    Old history there to say the least

Agreed, that there's two sides of it... one, it's another tool to be used to gauge... but on the other, maybe it will become a deterrent. Problem is, like any tool, how will it be used... I kind of doubt there will ever be real enforcement of standards on the locals... how many of us have seen kids 12yrs old & younger riding around with a few friends on the back? Think that'll stop because they pass a law? Doubtful, imo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast