Thread: Crazy.. Airport airside explosive

Crazy.. Airport airside explosive

Can common items sold in airports after the security screening be used to build lethal weapons?

As it turns out, even a marginally “MacGyver-esque” attacker can breeze through terminal gift shops, restaurants, magazine stands and duty-free shops to find everything needed to wage war on an airplane. Just how easy is it to build these weapons? The bulk of Evan’s research, Terminal Cornucopia, has been released publicly for you to see for yourself.

The rules for Booth’s project?

Only materials that can be sourced inside the terminal after the security screening can be used.
    Only cash and a small, travel-approved multitool can be carried into the terminal.
    Anything in the airport you’d get yelled at for taking or messing with is off limits.
    Below is a video showing the results of this project. This video should shed light on the facade of “security” that TSA claims it provides. I’m sure after seeing this video, the TSA will ban every item listed in it.

Hope we don't get hacked by the - "you know who" !! 555

Haha and that explosion is supposed to blow up a plane in mid air? A fart would do as much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Haha and that explosion is supposed to blow up a plane in mid air? A fart would do as much damage.
    No but I suspect a few lobbed around inside mid flight would cause some freakout.

I have no idea whats reacting with the lithium, of it it can scale easily.

^ yeah would cause panic but still pretty pointless. And hardly sheds light on the TSA security facade.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    No but I suspect a few lobbed around inside mid flight would cause some freakout.

It isn't a chemical reaction involving the lithium. The water shorts the battery causing it to heat enough to detonate the aerosol. I suppose it could be scaled using multiple aerosols and batteries ??

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    ^ yeah would cause panic but still pretty pointless. And hardly sheds light on the TSA security facade.
    I think the overheating qualities of Lithium batteries is well documented, ask Boeing 555

I thought the video showed him using a pipe cutter, to 'open' a lithium battery ??

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    It isn't a chemical reaction involving the lithium. The water shorts the battery causing it to heat enough to detonate the aerosol. I suppose it could be scaled using multiple aerosols and batteries ??
    Yeah as if buying up all the supply of Lynx in Boots terminal 3 won't cause much suspicion!

I thought the video showed him using a pipe cutter, to 'open' a lithium battery ??
    I think he took the metal jacket off the battery, not actually open it to expose the lithium.

Just over/under volting Lithium Polymer (Li-Po) batteries is easy to make them conflagrate. No real explosions but something that burns very quickly will have the same effect.

I dont really get the logic of trying to blow up an airliner mid air. Not very good at making a political statement or effecting change, especially if the bomber is there to change their minds. If the object is to create terror, just pull the bomb into the terminal and detonate it in the check in line.

However it's easy to make explosive or at least rapidly burning devices from what you'll get in duty free.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Just over/under volting Lithium Polymer (Li-Po) batteries is easy to make them conflagrate. No real explosions but something that burns very quickly will have the same effect.

I dont really get the logic of trying to blow up an airliner mid air. Not very good at making a political statement or effecting change, especially if the bomber is there to change their minds. If the object is to create terror, just pull the bomb into the terminal and detonate it in the check in line.

However it's easy to make explosive or at least rapidly burning devices from what you'll get in duty free.
    Reckon they'll ever ban carry-on DF spirits ... a broken bottle is far more effective than any knife, and as noted, spirits inflammable. Smoke and mirrors = more costs to pass on in airport taxes. Terrorism was a huge corporation builder!
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Reckon they'll ever ban carry-on DF spirits ... a broken bottle is far more effective than any knife, and as noted, spirits inflammable. Smoke and mirrors = more costs to pass on in airport taxes. Terrorism was a huge corporation builder!
    Do you remember when they tried to ban laptops?

Back in the early 00's they tried banning laptops from aircraft, everyone revolted so the idea was quietly buried. Duty Free is similar, one of the things that get onto an aircraft without question and there's too much resistance to stopping it.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.