Thread: Olympus PEN E-P5

Olympus PEN E-P5

Just Posted: Detailed hands-on Olympus PEN E-P5 preview: Digital Photography Review

No experience using mirrorless cameras. Any members using these cameras?

Thinking of getting the EP5 later this year.

Or should i also look at the Panasonic G Series Range?

Thank you.

Price seems a bit on the high side.

Press release for Malaysia Market -

The E-P5 is available for Pre-Orders now both online and at your favourite Olympus dealer. The E-P5 comes in Black, White and Silver and will have a host of lenses and accessories available including the new and improved VF4 EVF. The Black and Silver E-P5 will be available body only for RM3,499 and with the 17mm f/1.8 lens as a bundle for RM4,499. The white E-P5 will be available with the lens bundle only. Other lenses that are slated for release are the 45/1.8 as well as the 75/1.8 primes.

I just got rid of my DSLR gear and part of my thinking was the increase in quality of more compact cameras. I like the look of the Leica D-Lux and Panasonic equivalents, look like they have a very capable lens and great low light ability.

Downside of the Olympus range has always been the small sensor, so poor low light capability, and that funky 4:3 aspect ratio. Don't know if those things have changed?

I am using the Pany GX1 and the Pannilux f1.4 25mm prime as my primary night / bar rig. I have the 14 - 140 lens in the UK as a travel lens but mostly I am getting used to faster primes and fixed focal lengths. I nearly grabbed an OM-D but this came up on ebay as a steal so tested with this. Not perfect but works... So much smaller than a DSLR but its no pocket camera.

I expect the EP-5 to be a hot selling item..

Not too worried about pocket size, I just think that they are now a valid replacement for DSLRs in many situations and far more practical. Last time I took my camera bag away it weighed 12kg, quite a commitment dragging that around.