Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Smoking laws.. Again..

Smoking laws.. Again..

OK this got done to death over on PI.. And people had pretty firm stances, I am on the side that some smokers, not all by any means, are anti social enough to make some rules necessary.. The kind of person who sparks up in a restaurant space etc..

But this is a shocker.

It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Your Own Home In San Rafael, California - Hit & Run : Reason.com

I mean ?? At what point does someone have freedom to be left the hell alone ?? At home !!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    OK this got done to death over on PI.. And people had pretty firm stances, I am on the side that some smokers, not all by any means, are anti social enough to make some rules necessary.. The kind of person who sparks up in a restaurant space etc..

But this is a shocker.

It Is Now Illegal To Smoke In Your Own Home In San Rafael, California - Hit & Run : Reason.com

I mean ?? At what point does someone have freedom to be left the hell alone ?? At home !!

Duppes neighborhood...

being an A-hole is still legal tho. :0

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    being an A-hole is still legal tho. :0
    Not mandatory

But this is a shocker.

but you post it like these are stand alone homes
    as i stated before, i live in a high rise condo and i smell cigarette smoke all the time
    get in the elevator just yesterday,and hey a notice to "PLEASE STOP THROWING YOUR CIGARETTE BUTTS OFF THE BALCONIES ONTO THE NEXT BUILDING"
    a huge % of smokers are assholes with zero regard for others, they will never do the right thing so they have to be banned

Dunno Paulie.. Is it worse than someone cooking ?? Or someone owning a dog ??

Live in a communal space (why I cant) you have to tolerate others somewhat.. I mean, these people bought and paid for these places, its their own home.

Yes some dick throwing his butts out of his own home and into someone elses or public space deserves to be stopped. But if you live in a condo or apartment, some exposure to other people comes with the territory.. Dont like that ?? Then live in a stand alone home.
    kaptainrob likes this.

Dunno Paulie.. Is it worse than someone cooking ?? Or someone owning a dog ??

Live in a communal space (why I cant) you have to tolerate others somewhat.. I mean, these people bought and paid for these places, its their own home.

Yes some dick throwing his butts out of his own home and into someone elses or public space deserves to be stopped. But if you live in a condo or apartment, some exposure to other people comes with the territory.. Dont like that ?? Then live in a stand alone home.
    my building is multi-cultural from burka wearing muslims, persians, every conceivable asian
    and i've yet to smell anything bad cooking, although they might not feel the same about my place
    also, people are not cooking on their balconies, most people who smoke go on their balconies so not to stink up their own place so it is more pronounced than cooking, much
    more
    they are the ones with the offensive addiction, so let them move to a stand alone home if they want to smoke

Once again the responsible people who dispose of their rubbish are being lumped in with the lazy idiots who don't. How about just enforce the existing laws on those who break them instead of trying to come up with new ones. The Irish minister for health has stated he wants Ireland to be smoke free by 2025, whilst I enjoy pubs more now that there's no smoking in them just banning it everywhere is too much nanny state for me.

My condo building in BKK you cant smoke in public areas or in your condo.

If there is smoke, there is a computerised smoke and fire alarm system that informs them where immediately. I found this out to my cost when I decided to cook one morning at 5am when I was drunk and then had the management at the door

The one thing you really notice these days is how your hair and clothes smell the next day when you have been out in a place where smoking is allowed. It is totally fucking minging!!!!
    Evilbaz and Steve@thaib like this.

Don't really have much of an opinion on this, but wonder how accurate the statements from the CDC guy is? My sense is that these secondhand smoking warnings tend to be exaggerated a bit.

"It's a big deal. ... There's air seepage between one unit and another," through insulation, cracks and power outlets, says Tim McAfee, director of CDC's Office on Smoking and Health. He says even the finest ventilation systems don't protect apartment dwellers, who are "involuntary exposed to secondhand smoke."

Yes
    Minging ...now theres an expression I have not herd for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    Minging ...now theres an expression I have not herd for a long time
    Gee's prolly in Scotland then ....

2. mingingcertainly common in eastern Scotland, where the final g isn't pronounced (minginn) (and probably n.e. England) since at least the 1950's. Something unsavoury, or long past its best.

Only in the past 5 years has the rest of the UK cottoned on to this wonderful word

I didn't change my underpants for a week, and they are now minging
    Cheers, Rob.

Yes
    ^ very accurate...my mates and i used minging all the time...east coast Scotland in the 50's

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    as i stated before, i live in a high rise condo and i smell cigarette smoke all the time
    get in the elevator just yesterday,and hey a notice to "PLEASE STOP THROWING YOUR CIGARETTE BUTTS OFF THE BALCONIES ONTO THE NEXT BUILDING"
    a huge % of smokers are assholes with zero regard for others, they will never do the right thing so they have to be banned
    +1

Laws like this only get enacted because smokers make enough of a nuisance of themselves for others to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    The one thing you really notice these days is how your hair and clothes smell the next day when you have been out in a place where smoking is allowed. It is totally fucking minging!!!!
    +2

Whenever I go out in LOS or somewhere similar, the first thing I do when I get back is shower to get rid of the cigarette smell, as soon as you go indoors all you can smell is stale tobacco on your clothes and skin.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Gee's prolly in Scotland then ....
    Been used in Glasgow since time began but equally so all over Scotland. Doesnt need to be explained to anyone in the UK. Funnily even down South lots of southern lads using the Aye expression too

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    +1

Laws like this only get enacted because smokers make enough of a nuisance of themselves for others to complain.

+2

Whenever I go out in LOS or somewhere similar, the first thing I do when I get back is shower to get rid of the cigarette smell, as soon as you go indoors all you can smell is stale tobacco on your clothes and skin.
    There are a fair proportion of places in BKK in terms of bars etc where it is enforced. Alot of other places its allowed only when there is an open air front and sufficient ventilation e.g. one example being Hillary 4 and in Hillary 2 before 8pm and then after it becomes non smoking when they close the doors to the front. Security are tight on it, anyone seen smoking are told to go outside

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Once again the responsible people who dispose of their rubbish are being lumped in with the lazy idiots who don't. How about just enforce the existing laws on those who break them instead of trying to come up with new ones. The Irish minister for health has stated he wants Ireland to be smoke free by 2025, whilst I enjoy pubs more now that there's no smoking in them just banning it everywhere is too much nanny state for me.
    you may very well be a considerate smoker but unfortunately it has been proven a large % of smokers are not
    actually, i think people in general are not considerate and need rules to keep them in line. smoking is just one that offends a lot of people because it comes in their space
    but in my other condo, we had a nice courtyard that kids played on and assholes would bring their dogs down there to piss and shit. just mind blowing they think that is ok
    just today i walked outside my building and there is 6 empty coffee cups on the stairs before the front door. they obviously live there but don't feel the need to carry their cups into their apartments and despose of them

so i think w/o these rules, a good% of people are assholes, not just smokers

"The butthurt is strong with this one"...55

you may very well be a considerate smoker but unfortunately it has been proven a large % of smokers are not
    actually, i think people in general are not considerate and need rules to keep them in line. smoking is just one that offends a lot of people because it comes in their space
    but in my other condo, we had a nice courtyard that kids played on and assholes would bring their dogs down there to piss and shit. just mind blowing they think that is ok
    just today i walked outside my building and there is 6 empty coffee cups on the stairs before the front door. they obviously live there but don't feel the need to carry their cups into their apartments and despose of them

so i think w/o these rules, a good% of people are assholes, not just smokers
    A real issue in Thailand, low class scum bags in restaurant who light up as soon as they have finished eating, hell even see some smoking and eating at the same time. Zero regard for anyone around them. Makes my fkin blood boil
    LivinLOS likes this.

I live in a block of flats that has a no smoking rule in any communal areas (stairs/landings etc) , I have no problem with that . If people wish to smoke in their own homes that should be their own choice , if at some point in the future smoking is made illegal in the UK then the law must apply to everyone.

What happens if some residents object to the smell of others cooking curries ? Do they get a law to ban people cooking what they wish in their own homes ?

How about dogs ? Some people have no problems with them , other are either afraid of them or possibly even have religious beliefs concerning them , should they also try to get a law banning them ?

Asthma attacks can be exacerbated by cat//dog hair and strong perfumes/after shave , so should they be banned from all communal areas ?

On the health side , the amount of second hand smoke we are talking about is minimal . Are these people standing on their balconies all day/night smoking numerous packs of cigarettes ............. and always when other residents have their balcony doors/windows open ? What if the second hand 'smoke' is coming from another building ? Bring in a law to get them banned as well ?

While smoking is becoming socially unacceptable , and I know first hand the medical implications , it is still legal and when certain groups can get specific laws passed that infringe on what people can do within the confines of their own homes (as long as it is not breaking national laws) I think we are one step away from "morality police".

Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    I live in a block of flats that has a no smoking rule in any communal areas (stairs/landings etc) , I have no problem with that . If people wish to smoke in their own homes that should be their own choice , if at some point in the future smoking is made illegal in the UK then the law must apply to everyone.

What happens if some residents object to the smell of others cooking curries ? Do they get a law to ban people cooking what they wish in their own homes ?

How about dogs ? Some people have no problems with them , other are either afraid of them or possibly even have religious beliefs concerning them , should they also try to get a law banning them ?

Asthma attacks can be exacerbated by cat//dog hair and strong perfumes/after shave , so should they be banned from all communal areas ?

On the health side , the amount of second hand smoke we are talking about is minimal . Are these people standing on their balconies all day/night smoking numerous packs of cigarettes ............. and always when other residents have their balcony doors/windows open ? What if the second hand 'smoke' is coming from another building ? Bring in a law to get them banned as well ?

While smoking is becoming socially unacceptable , and I know first hand the medical implications , it is still legal and when certain groups can get specific laws passed that infringe on what people can do within the confines of their own homes (as long as it is not breaking national laws) I think we are one step away from "morality police".
    but quite simply, and it is obvious
    cigarette smoke offends and damages people/property much more than any other example you stated

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast