Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Results 1,081 to 1,091 of 1091
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: Climate Change

Now that another hurricane (Irma) is forming... thought this was a good basic instructional video. And yes, I will unashamedly post it in the climate change thread 555. Whether you believe our planet is getting warmer or not, these hurricanes basically feed on both a warmer atmosphere as well as warmer oceans. Heat is energy. Heat is fuel. That's just basic physics.

Anyways, I've always been a sucker for tracking these weather events, and will be very interesting to see the path towards the weekend. Paradoxically, it may even cause more damage eventually if it escapes between Florida and Cuba, but could also easily be pushed out and cause none. So tracking the temperature, but also the jet streams which I find particularly interesting when it comes to climate change. They are becoming much "wavier" especially as the northern hemisphere is warming and giving us all kinds on unusual events. Like the snow dump over eastern US as we've discussed earlier, and also the unusual path of hurricane Sandy. Briefly explained in the last part of the video, but more in depth in part 2.

HURRICANE IRMA

Last edited by sundancekid; 5th September 2017 at 22:16.

Ok, so nothing to do with climate change. I have family in Ft. Lauderdale , and the eye of Irma looks to be right in their path come Sunday if the forecasts hold true. That's a beast of a sucker even if it may be downgraded to a category 4 or lower. The cone has been trending eastwards as of late though, so could still miss Florida altogether. Hoping for the best. Could be massive damage if the projected path and intensity (below) comes true...

Last edited by sundancekid; 8th September 2017 at 00:29.

Also got some close friends in Fort Lauderdale.....they are evacuating.

Doesn't look good.

We got a retarded amount of rain and a couple of tornados in Nashville last week as a result of Harvey. Amazing how strong those storms are even several hundred miles inland after they've started to break apart. I was literally standing in my garage in boxers and a holding a glass of bourbon at 1:30 am watching the drainage ditch near my house roaring like a river and creeping up towards my garage/basement. Thought for sure I might get flooded.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Similar to me. Never been near the eye or the epicenter. But when I traveled around southern Mexico in 1995, we were bit by both a cat. 3 hurricane and an 8.0 earthquake. Wading waist deep in water between gusts in Campeche and being in a shaky three story hotel. Thankfully neither the Tequila nor the Dos Equis bottles were far out of reach 555. Mostly slept through the Tsunami down here, but heading down to the beach in the aftermath was a sight I will never forget. Twisted cars, buildings, structures and bodies.

Looks like Irma is heading west though compared to the earliest forecasts. But absolutely hammered Cuba. Will be interesting to see how it will react once it reaches the warm waters of the Florida straight. At least my family appears to be off the hook, but could be a lot of hurt for people on the west coast. Don't fuck with nature 555.

I am a Richard Branson fan....I really admire the guy.

I'm just not so sure recently how you can be so 'pro climate change' while operating an International Airline.

I understand it has to be done by someone but then surely you avoid being seen as hypocritical on this subject?

A step in the right direction for the region and planet..

China cleans up winter heating

BEIJING, Sept. 16 (Xinhua) -- China has regulated use of cleaner fuel for heating in north China, where coal burning in winter is a major source of pollution.
    In the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region and nearby areas, 28 cities will now use only natural gas, electricity and renewable energy for heating.
    Other regions in the north should phase out the use of inferior coal, which is widely used in rural areas due to its low cost.
    Smog is still a very severe problem in winter in northern China. Coal accounts for more than 60 percent of China's primary energy consumption, much higher than the world average, and in the north, the ratio is around 80 percent.
    The share of non-fossil energy is to rise to 15 percent by 2020 and 20 percent by 2030. Coal consumption will be limited to less than 58 percent of energy use by 2020.

China cleans up winter heating - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Trump Administration Won’t Withdraw from Paris Climate Deal WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...sla=y&mod=e2tw
    Last edited by Loop; 17th September 2017 at 04:14.

Warmer Arctic is the 'new normal' - BBC News

A warming, rapidly changing Arctic is the "new normal" and shows no signs of returning to the reliably frozen region of the past.

This is according to the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Arctic Report Card.

Director of the administration's Arctic Researcher Program, Dr Jeremy Mathis, said the region did a great service to the planet - acting as a refrigerator.
    "We've now left that refrigerator door open," he added.

Dr Mathis was speaking at the annual American Geophysical Union meeting in New Orleans, where Noaa presented its annual summation of Arctic science.

Yes, this liberal hoax is unfolding pretty much exactly as Svante Arrhenius theorized... in 1896. Since then, the original hypothesis has been thoroughly backed up by multiple lines of physical, scientific evidence. Including Arctic amplification.

As far back as 1896, the Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius hypothesized that changes in the concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth’s atmosphere could alter surface temperatures. He also suggested that changes would be especially large at high latitudes.

Arrhenius didn’t get every detail right, but his argument has proven to be pretty sound. Since the mid-20th Century, average global temperatures have warmed about 0.6°C (1.1°F), but the warming has not occurred equally everywhere. Temperatures have increased about twice as fast in the Arctic as in the mid-latitudes, a phenomenon known as “Arctic amplification.”
    https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IO...w.php?id=81214

^Fake News according to Trump... can't trust anything not covered by Fox...

This was hilarious with Bill Nye

https://youtu.be/IFgBFYkBZ6E
    Proof of a Scumbag

I'm sorry, but do you have me confused with one of paulie's siblings?

my truthful opinions on LGBT matters. Sorry about your son

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455