Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The food we eat..

The food we eat..

This has come up in a few threads, and I know isnt really asia related.. But just seems to be getting out of hand.

KFC Boneless Chicken Only 50% Meat: What Happened to Real Food? | World Truth.TV

KFC has recently announced that it will now feature their ‘Original Recipe’ chicken in boneless form in all 4,500 of its U.S. locations. The company also stated that they are considering making all of their chicken boneless, with bone-in options no longer available.

Internal KFC surveys show that nearly four out of five servings of chicken in the United States are now boneless; the complete reverse of 30 years ago, when 80 to 85 percent of chicken was unprocessed.

The downside to the convenience of boneless chicken? It is only approximately 50 percent meat, according to studies. The other half of the mixture is made up of sugars, corn derivatives, leavening agents and other synthetic ingredients.

Studies show that many brands of chicken nuggets, the pioneer in the ‘boneless chicken’ playing field, contain Tert-butyl hydroquinone (TBHQ) and dimethyl polysiloxane. These are added to the oils the nuggets are cooked in as stabilizers. TBHQ has been found to cause bodily toxicity in large quantities, with resulting symptoms such as vomiting and delirium.

Some researchers argue that the levels of TBHQ in chicken nuggets are too low to cause these symptoms, but every little bit of poison adds up. Dimethyl polysiloxane is a silicone-based polymer that cannot be broken down by the human body.

It is also used in cosmetics. While some say it is harmless, why would you want plastics substituting as foods swimming through your system? This is not even mentioning the GMO corn used as filler in most of these products, and the resulting health risks of this practice.
    And we wonder why cancers are rising so fast...

Bioengineered Burgers

A 2011 article featured in the Huffington Post shed light on a bioengineering project that scientists worldwide have been working on for the past decade: growing meat “cultures” in laboratories. Researchers at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands have claimed to be about one year away from presenting their prototype of the world’s first bioengineered, synthetic hamburger.

A 2012 article in The Economist, describing related research led by Dr. Mark Post at Eindhoven University, details how this works: “(the) cultures, grown from stem cells, are sheets 3 cm long, 1.5 cm wide and half a millimeter deep… the stem cells themselves are extracted from cattle muscle and then multiplied a millionfold before they are put in Petri dishes and allowed to turn into muscle cells… The fatty cells of adipose tissue, needed for juiciness, are grown separately and then combined with the muscle cells before the whole thing is cooked.”

Sounds like science fiction, right? That may not be far from the reality of the situation. These ‘meats’ are completely experimental; there is no way to determine what health effects they will have on humans.

Such bioengineered meats could very possibly begin replacing the already-processed meat products used today. Furthermore, the packaging paper being designed for these new ‘burgers’ is a prototype made of silver nanoparticles, added to the paper by an ultrasound-like process, and designed to fight food-borne bacteria such as E. coli.

This packaging choice could very well have its own unpredicted side effects. When these ‘meats’ are released into the food industry, our generation will be the human test subjects, and will suffer any side effects that follow.

Nicholas Genovese, a worker in a meat-growing lab, told Reuters, “there are a lot of products that we eat today that are considered natural that are produced in a similar manner… society has accepted these products.” His observation is all too true.

No such problem last night,boxty and bacon rashers...yum. I wont put up a pic and spoil it 55

and all the subsidies go to all the stuff that makes bad food

K2
    Got to cull the population somehow ... cant have 7 billion (esp mega-consuming westerners) living forever.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    and all the subsidies go to all the stuff that makes bad food
    In many ways its precisely the subsidy, pushing down corn prices, which creates a corn glut, thats then used to feed beef stock, make fructose corn additives, etc etc..

Thats without even starting on the whole monsanto scene.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Got to cull the population somehow ... cant have 7 billion (esp mega-consuming westerners) living forever.
    i just saw a commercial for a burger wrapped in a pepperoni pizza
    that should help the cause 555

Thailand's fast food industry is growing daily and sugar consumption along with it. Just look at how many Macca's and KFC's there are already. Thai original recipe KFC is very good, chicken moist and tender but the MSG content is often too high. I never eat chicken nuggets, Thai fish/meat balls, or processed seafood (crab sticks) as I've seen the crap that goes into them, eg: ground bone-meal and other production 'waste'. Corn fillers probably the least of your worries.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Thailand's fast food industry is growing daily and sugar consumption along with it. Just look at how many Macca's and KFC's there are already. Thai original recipe KFC is very good, chicken moist and tender but the MSG content is often too high. I never eat chicken nuggets, Thai fish/meat balls, or processed seafood (crab sticks) as I've seen the crap that goes into them, eg: ground bone-meal and other production 'waste'. Corn fillers probably the least of your worries.
    the spoils of advancement!
    Ao had McDonald's for the 1st time when she was 21yrs old
    her son has been eating it( not much) since he was 5yrs old

but he does like sweets whereas a sweet for Ao is some cherries, or grapes

Most Thais think KFC is a Thai invention. Try telling them otherwise, they won't believe you

Good fun to watch the tv series Jamie Oliver's school dinners

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Most Thais think KFC is a Thai invention. Try telling them otherwise, they won't believe you

actually there is a photo in the wall at Gulliver's on Soi 5 near the toilets

it shows an old Kentucky Fried Chicken
    i showed her and she still didn't believe me 555

50% chicken is normal in the catering industry, the rest is crap that they stick in there to make it weigh more. Same with most processed meats.

I stopped eating meat 3 years ago and this was one of the primary reasons, we constantly expect lower prices and fail to think about how that can be made to happen.

555 Which province do they think Kentucky is in. You would think they would know it is foreign as that is where Outaluck got her degree.

What do they think the 'K' stands for? Kharasin??

5555555555 Maybe they think Col. Sanders was in the Thai military.

I think I have noticed how in asia the Col Sanders has been subtly changed.. To make him look more chinesey.. The glasses seem rounder and the beard more whispy confucious etc..

And all the steroids they use in meat production.......I bought some nice looking Thai beef on the local market a while back........It was the best looking filet I've ever seen in Thailand, but when I cooked it it shrunk to 1/3rd of the size and was tender as a flip flop..................I guess they inject water as well, but to make a Thai tenderloin that big It must have been some heavy steroids.....

Was talking to Gee about this the other day, in her opinion KFC and Macs are now the most popular food for younger Thais. If she is correct, this may be main reason so many young Thais are now getting physically obese? tons of really fat boys in Alex's class!! and yet older Thais were such a lean race, good food meat lots of veg etc, yes I know people will comment on the oils and msg's and other stuff but traditionally it was such good healthy food.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think I have noticed how in asia the Col Sanders has been subtly changed.. To make him look more chinesey.. The glasses seem rounder and the beard more whispy confucious etc..
    Or maybe just lose the glasses altogether....

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    And all the steroids they use in meat production.......I bought some nice looking Thai beef on the local market a while back........It was the best looking filet I've ever seen in Thailand, but when I cooked it it shrunk to 1/3rd of the size and was tender as a flip flop..................I guess they inject water as well, but to make a Thai tenderloin that big It must have been some heavy steroids.....
    Water infusion is common with cut & packaged product, especially beef/pork and chicken mince. Frozen fish fillets, particularly Vietnamese pangasius - look cheap until you thaw them... circa 25% water! We've tried a few Macro 1 kg catering packs and by far the best value for money is NZ Hoki.

I think you'll find the Col Sanders image was 'freshened up' World-wide, dark areas removed to make him look younger.
    This was the original >

And this, the new >
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 14th May 2013 at 17:03. Reason: Fix image
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    5555555555 Maybe they think Col. Sanders was in the Thai military.
    No he was chicken - he joined the MIB (paid rank) ...
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 14th May 2013 at 17:01.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast