Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: the state of british education

the state of british education

Camelot has withdrawn a lottery scratchcard because some players couldn't understand the basic maths the game was based on.
    The Cool Cash game was launched on Monday but was taken out of shops on Friday because players were unsure whether they had won.
    To win a prize, users had to scratch off a window to reveal a lower temperature than the one displayed on each card, which was usually below freezing.
    But dozens of players who could not understand how, for example, -4 was higher than -5, filed complaints with Camelot.
    Tina Farrell, 23, from Manchester, called Camelot after failing to win with several cards.
    She told the Manchester Evening News: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8.
    "The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.
    "I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.
    "I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number.
    "Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."
    A Camelot spokeswoman said the game had now been withdrawn.
    "The instructions for playing the Cool Cash scratchcard are clear - and are printed on each individual card and in the game procedures available at each retailer. However, because of the potential for player confusion we have decided to withdraw the game."

From The Daily Mash???

I was dealing with some woman a few days ago(probably in her 50s) who told me "she's an Inch person" and wasn't quite sure how long 300 millimeters were. So I had to show her on a tape measure.

Yep, they'e out there!

ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    Camelot has withdrawn a lottery scratchcard because some players couldn't understand the basic maths the game was based on.
    They should have known that lottery participants are not the best at math. It sort of goes with the territory.
    LivinLOS, Bacon and soupdragon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I was dealing with some woman a few days ago(probably in her 50s) who told me "she's an Inch person" and wasn't quite sure how long 300 millimeters were. So I had to show her on a tape measure.

Yep, they'e out there!

I'm 45 and was taught a mixture at school , but mostly imperial .. So I think in ounces , pounds and stones , I know my height in feet and inches and distance / speed use miles .. Although I would know that 300mm is roughly 12 inches , but why wouldn't you have said 30cm instead , would you refer to one metre as 1000mm ..
    soupdragon likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

We were working on a floor plan and measuring something very precise. Easier to work on the computer when you have a single unit of measure, otherwise you end up dealing with fractions.

And I'm not sure why the Imperial system is still around. It's 2013 5555

We stopped using our feet and thumbs and large boulders for measurement a long time ago.

We were working on a floor plan and measuring something very precise. Easier to work on the computer when you have a single unit of measure, otherwise you end up dealing with fractions.
    If you want to split hairs there are no fractions in the decimal system, nobody would say 375mm is 3/8 of a metre 55555

What about 4.5cm? That's a fraction.

What about 4.5cm? That's a fraction.
    4.5 is a decimal, a fraction has a numerator and a denominator and is expressed thus, 4 1/2. Like I said splitting hairs but I am old enough to remember imperial measurements 55555
    LivinLOS likes this.

Splitting hairs one step further you can have decimal fractions! 555
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Splitting hairs one step further you can have decimal fractions! 555
    Go on then express 4.5 as a decimal fraction. 555555

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Go on then express 4.5 as a decimal fraction. 555555
    4.5 is a decimal fraction.

Or 9/2

Those two are the same expressions.

I've worked in both metric and imperial all my life and gotta say metric woops the arse off imperial every time - measurement wise !

Fractions suck - unless its simply generalising, like 3/4 full or 90%, or four fifths fucked........

4.5 is a decimal fraction.

Or 9/2

Those two are the same expressions.
    45/10 would be the decimal fraction. The denominator must be a power of 10. That's enough for a Sunday afternoon I off for a Muay Thai. 555555
    Stillearly likes this.

K2
    Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    I've worked in both metric and imperial all my life and gotta say metric woops the arse off imperial every time - measurement wise !

Fractions suck - unless its simply generalising, like 3/4 full or 90%, or four fifths fucked........
    Find it mind boggling that the US still insist on keeping Imperial system and Fahrenheit ... can cost big time too ... just ask NASA!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.UqRCWCcQRbw
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post

used to quote fractions in the money markets up to about 15 years ago , had to know your 1/64ths for CDs etc .. I sort of miss fractions 555
    Last edited by Stillearly; 8th December 2013 at 18:26.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Find it mind boggling that the US still insist on keeping Imperial system and Fahrenheit ... can cost big time too ... just ask NASA!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.UqRCWCcQRbw
    Funny you should say that, my son that is studying aerospace at a leading uni was just home for thanksgiving and told me.." Dad, feet and inches are the most stupid things ever!!". Lol!55
    K2 likes this.

Does nobody else think she has a point?

"Six is a lower number than 8."

I think she's absolutely correct, or at least has a valid point. And of course, it's a bit rich of a newspaper to take the piss when they use such a mix of numbers in the same sentence, that should be '6 and 8' or 'six and eight'.

On the metric question, we have retained imperial, I think, partly because we are British damnit!, and partly because we are America's partner in Europe and they are showing no signs of ditching imperial measurements.

Personally, I use a mixture of fluid ounces/pints/gallons litres ( spelt correctly, by the way ) and kilos. I don't really see that changing anytime soon, particularly while we doggedly insist on drinking pints of beer and retain such strong trade links with the US and Europe.

Instead of 'higher' and 'lower' they should just have said 'hotter' and 'colder'.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Instead of 'higher' and 'lower' they should just have said 'hotter' and 'colder'.
    Think that's the point she was making

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast