Thread: Strange Thai Food

Strange Thai Food

Was speaking to a TG on FaceBook the other night and she sent me some pictures of what she was eating that night - very weird!! Looks like Fried Rats and Grubs were on the menu that evening!!

Anyone else got any weirder delicacies from Thailand?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its a pint of bitter a gin and tonic and a baileys, I call them uhhh....ladyboys!! สจวร์ต

Were the grubs cooked - or was that just soy sauce?

The field rats should be OK - you never see garbage lying around in Thailand ... 555!

Rat is probably one of the 1st things my wife will eat when she goes back to Thailand

as EB said, not like a street rat we know

Sugar cane field rats taste like chicken, you BBQ them. Catch them yourself or sold in the market. Usually available during the cutting season

The grubs, insects etc can't say they are they that strange, sold everywhere om street stalls

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    The grubs, insects etc can't say they are they that strange, sold everywhere om street stalls
    To a falang they can seem strange?!
    Its a pint of bitter a gin and tonic and a baileys, I call them uhhh....ladyboys!! สจวร์ต

BANGKOK, May 15 Ė Thailandís Department of Health is urging Thais to eat insects as a source of chemical-free protein, particularly red ant eggs, which have higher protein than that in hen eggs.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) called on people worldwide to consume insects as they are good sources of nutrition food high in protein and fibre.

Narong Saiwong, deputy director-general of Thailandís health department, said Thai people have local diets which include insect specialities such as red ant eggs which people in the Northeast prepare in several menus such as soup and spicy salad.

Red ant eggs have higher protein, compared to equal amount of hen eggs and are free of chemicals. However, red ant eggs should be cooked well, Mr Narong said.

However, red ant eggs, silk worms and bamboo worms as well as bee larvae contain quite high amount of cholesterol and if they are fried, will give three or four times more energy, so people with high cholesterol and the elderly should not eat much, he warned.
    (MCOT online news).

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    To a falang they can seem strange?!
    Thats what people say about your mushy peas too.... 555

Although not strange food, a couple of pictures of a typical Thai lunch that I had with a few TGs during my last trip...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Thats what people say about your mushy peas too.... 555
    +1

Chips 'n' Gravy if your from Northern England!!

Can add a few, like live shrimps or ants eggs

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Was speaking to a TG on FaceBook the other night and she sent me some pictures of what she was eating that night - very weird!! Looks like Fried Rats and Grubs were on the menu that evening!!

Anyone else got any weirder delicacies from Thailand?!
    Those grub things may be silkworm they look like a not so cooked version of something I ate while ago in Patong. Not nice I can tell you

Those grub things I ate last time in Patong. Tasted like cashewnuts that you keep on chewing on. Ants I ate too but that was way too sour for me. Just ants and alot of lemongrass.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.