Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 2 week holiday anywhere, how much do you spend per day

  1. #1
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,568

    2 week holiday anywhere, how much do you spend per day

    the new Paul actually tries to do a budget for holidays now

    so, wondering if people use a guide of how much they want to spend per day or set a strict budget and how much that comes to per day

    on my next holiday, although i don't limit myself to a strict budget, i would like to stay to 200usd/day, which includes accomodation

    i travel with a former BM and we now rent 2bdrms apartments of secure rental sites. price per night ranges from 150 to 230/nt
    here is where we are staying, for examples

    Panama City, Panama 150usd/nt

    2 Bedroom Apt. / Condo Rental in Panama City, Panama - Great value apartment Panama City Banking area


    Cartagena, Colombia 150usd/nt
    this is only 1bdrm but i got such a good feel for the owner and it loosk great i don't mind sleeping on the sofabed

    1 Bedroom Apt. / Condo Rental in Cartagena, Colombia - Exclusive 1BR apt. in the Old City

    Medellin, Colombia 230usd/nt

    4 Bedroom Apt. / Condo Rental in Medellin, Colombia - Zona Viva Medellin el Poblado Penthouse

    we could have rented a place for 130/nt but i like the character of this place


    We are sleeping directly on the beach 3 nights which ends up costing about 30/nt so that brings the average down


    Apart from accomodation, i figure i'd spend anywhere from 50/day when camping on beach( probably less) to 200/day


    just wondering what others do?
    i think the fact i travel with my friend and we are very like minded helps us rent great places and keeps costs to about 100/nt each for accomodation

  2. #2
    Senior Member tnlawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,637
    $200 a day is about what I budget as well. Some days I spend a little less, some days a little more, but it usually shakes out to around $200 per day.

  3. #3
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    S 200=That would probably be the cost of a motel in Noggieland 555 You could still get a BJ for 1K THB tho

  4. #4
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    200 GBP per day or 10,000 baht excluding hotel and transport costs. This is very rough figure, sometimes spend more and sometimes less, so averages out around that

    Makes no difference what country it's in it ends up about the same level

    Off to Algarve in Portugal next week for 4 days and I expect it will be around the same spend per day

  5. #5
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    my kinda travelling has changed greatly since i have semi-retired and moved up here...once it was mostly a combo of business and pleasure in 5 star joints and the best restaurants in major (pretty much euro) cities...now its fairly local SEA stuff with a mix of seeing new places, scuba diving and partying...staying in 3 star hotels and eating in a mix of restaurants + cafes from $ to $$$

    I'd say $250 a day over say 2 weeks would pull me up now including hotel, food, partying, scuba diving etc...pretty much the lot

  6. #6
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,568
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    my kinda travelling has changed greatly since i have semi-retired and moved up here...once it was mostly a combo of business and pleasure in 5 star joints and the best restaurants in major (pretty much euro) cities...now its fairly local SEA stuff with a mix of seeing new places, scuba diving and partying...staying in 3 star hotels and eating in a mix of restaurants + cafes from $ to $$$

    I'd say $250 a day over say 2 weeks would pull me up now including hotel, food, partying, scuba diving etc...pretty much the lot
    i've done a big change about the hotels i stay in
    i still very much enjoy a 5star hotel but i like the smaller boutique hotels, more local types now
    even when travelling for biz.......give me a Marriott Courtyard or Suites, 3 star, free breakfast, parking usually right outside the door

  7. #7
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    I spent exactly $250 per day including my room, on the last PI trip. I usually try to spend less than that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I spent exactly $250 per day including my room, on the last PI trip. I usually try to spend less than that.
    wow Bill and you don't drink much 55555.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    4,168
    Heard taxis are expensive in PI 5555

  10. #10
    Senior Member nelsonone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,862
    ^ The Trike Patrol is better value 555

  11. #11
    Senior Member dontpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,823
    Sorta depends a lot where you are going, I probably average 100-150 euro a day in Pattaya depending on whether I take a girl home or not, it's probably going to be half that in Phnom Penh. Hotels in and around 50 euro a night, again a little more in Pattaya a little less in Phnom Penh. In Ireland you'd probably have to double the hotel cost, spending money upwards of 150 depending on how much you drink and where.

  12. #12
    Senior Member PadMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    747
    I usually don't spend big on hotels/accommodation but do in bars and nightlife. When in LOS for 2 weeks I guess I'd spend an average of 8k tbh a day. Of course some days more, some less.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,059
    2 week holiday anywhere, how much do you spend per day

    Usually just a bit more than I budgeted for 555!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    682
    I'm planning to take $10,000 with me to the US/South America in Oct... that ends up being about $355 per day.

    Flights are already booked.

  15. #15
    Senior Member billpay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    wow Bill and you don't drink much 55555.....
    Yeah, can't really figure out how I spent that much.5555

  16. #16
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    2 week holiday anywhere, how much do you spend per day

    Usually just a bit more than I budgeted for 555!
    that is exactly true!!

  17. #17
    Senior Member beuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Antwerp Belgium.
    Posts
    183
    Actually never really calculated how much a day I spend. In Italy, France, Suisse, Austria we stayed in youth hotels. Daytime almost spend nothing except for some food, evening too tired to go out. Stayed there with friends for skiing. Spain stayed with family, Germany stayed over at a friends place. Holland is nearby so easy with the car and the only time I had to spend some time in a hotel was because of a problem with the plane bringing me to LOS. Hotel, food, telephone bills all on the account of the airplane company. My only big cost is LOS itself. Including everything for 2 weeks I think I stay around a good solid 8000euro. That is plane fares, accomodation, food and day and night expenses. Then again I travel with my wife and two kids who are now seen as adults for the airfares. Hotels need 2 rooms always and the cost for the babysitter who travels along inside LOS.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

  18. #18
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,568
    Quote Originally Posted by beuk View Post
    Actually never really calculated how much a day I spend. In Italy, France, Suisse, Austria we stayed in youth hotels. Daytime almost spend nothing except for some food, evening too tired to go out. Stayed there with friends for skiing. Spain stayed with family, Germany stayed over at a friends place. Holland is nearby so easy with the car and the only time I had to spend some time in a hotel was because of a problem with the plane bringing me to LOS. Hotel, food, telephone bills all on the account of the airplane company. My only big cost is LOS itself. Including everything for 2 weeks I think I stay around a good solid 8000euro. That is plane fares, accomodation, food and day and night expenses. Then again I travel with my wife and two kids who are now seen as adults for the airfares. Hotels need 2 rooms always and the cost for the babysitter who travels along inside LOS.
    when talking about a family, that is a whole new ballgame

    and honestly, even travelling with my wife vs travelling solo is a lot more expensive

    i am more apt to grab something fast to eat, which usually is cheap
    with her, everything has to be a sit down meal and it adds up

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    112
    last trip to LOS was about 10000 baht per day while in patong(without room) less while i was in isaan. usually stay somewhere cheaper while in phuket and stay somewhere nicer if in BKK or KUL.
    its amazing that we can spent so much per day when we are supposedly in some of the cheapest countries in the world

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •