Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: If a poster dies...

If a poster dies...

do you care?

Weird, but a guy I've been talking to online for a few years now just died and I find I'm actually really sad about it. He was a customs guy, worked ICE in SW America. We used to talk on the fight forum about his job and mine and the fact that certain things just jade you as a person... and lead you to drink. He was a decent guy. Smart. Posted pix of himself and his family. We always talked about how we'd have a beer if I made it out his way. Now he's gone at the ripe old age of 40.

Makes me wonder... many more of us have met one another here than a typical forum... but still, if someone passed here, would ya care? Would it actually make you sad or would it just be another thread. Obviously Nicke just passed, but he was more of a focal point than most can claim. A good guy to all, so his situation wasnt typical.

Just curious... is it normal to feel a loss over people who were only words on a screen to you?

Same here , maybe because of his last threads describing his illness , but I was moved by Rex's passing even though we had never met
    quiksilva likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

It's a good point seeing as more of peoples lives are being spent online, I try to limit my online presence with this site being the major exception. I guess it's a bit like a musician or actor or author dying that you may never have met but feel like you know through another medium which is what the internet has evolved into being.

Would we even know if a lot of posters/BM's died ?

Interesting topic, I guess it depends on how "invested" you are in a forum, PM's etc., and the messages. I used to follow a Yahoo finance board for a stock and one dude and I exchanged a lot of messages and stock tips, made some money together or at least I did, then he just disappeared. Not sure what happened but as if it were a death I can relate to the sentiment. No clue other than the online presence disappeared, still think about the "friendship" from time to time when drawing stock charts, wondering what his input would be, great insights and seemed like a friend! Crazy world now!
    K2 likes this.

I think online friendships are lesser than face to face ones, but only by a degree.. so of course yes.

I am a member of a streetfighter building / bike forum.. And a few heavyweight posters have wrecked and died over the last couple of years. Sad and sobering and the forum handles that respectfully.

I have had a couple of people who were not super close mates pass in the last couple of years.. One of which I find myself thinking of a lot. Old grumpy one legged Scotty, who helped me build my bike and bitched and moaned and pulled faces and generally just enjoyed a good grumble, he was such a help and never asked me for anything. He passed from cancer and I find my mind drifting to him and what a good guy he was when my mind blanks out on road trips.

Yes
    I miss Khun Dempar posting and he's not even dead...
    billpay, Dkdude, slimbag and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    that is what i was thinking
    those are the ones that will be a shame......are the ones we never even know they died

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    that is what i was thinking
    those are the ones that will be a shame......are the ones we never even know they died
    Noted*

So if you guys see someone under my BN come on every once in a while and call you kunts and so on...

It was in my will!555

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Noted*

So if you guys see someone under my BN come on every once in a while and call you kunts and so on...

It was in my will!555

I'm glad you have made a Will - most BMs your age think they are invincible ...

I'm sure we can deal with your pee lawk 555!
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    if it's close forum and people actually interact, i'd think someone would inform the board, so yes.

This (now) forum and the previous PI was successful because members actually knew each other, in person,real life, principally through MTB, so 'they' kept in touch via the forum, email or sms and phone calls, I guess.

I've had Bm's at my house, whom i'd only ever met in Aus, but interacted plenty on the board, if they dropped off and got dead, i'd feel pretty bad about that, even thought i'd only met them once or twice.
    K2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Noted*

It was in my will!555
    Why wait? You can enjoy that particular clause in your will right now 5555
    WarProfiteer likes this.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Dont worry he is well alive and hasnt lost his sense of humour one little bit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    I miss Khun Dempar posting and he's not even dead...
    Yes and Happy58900 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Same here , maybe because of his last threads describing his illness , but I was moved by Rex's passing even though we had never met
    Interesting, just a couple of days ago I was going to start a thread about his lagacy ... The Lifehome.
    He really did a good job and is truly missed.
    I never met him, but we extended repertory supported each others charities and we chatted a fair bit off the board.

Last we talked he mentioned that he was in touch with someone that would try to fill his shoes.
    Does anyone have details about this?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Interesting, just a couple of days ago I was going to start a thread about his lagacy ... The Lifehome.
    He really did a good job and is truly missed.
    I never met him, but we extended repertory supported each others charities and we chatted a fair bit off the board.

Last we talked he mentioned that he was in touch with someone that would try to fill his shoes.
    Does anyone have details about this?
    I know he was a big supporter of The Life Home Project, and highlighted the charity on Phuket Info , but not sure he had anything to do with setting it up or running it
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Life Home was started by An American sister who got backing from local businesses and charity workers...The Rotary Club has been one of its biggest supporters

Rex was a regular visitor and contributor...he liked to spend time with the women and kids there and do small projects like getting the kids basketball hoops and taking the women out for dinner and little treats like having their hair done from time to time

Not to disparage Rex's legacy, but I've heard tell of people being harassed for doing charity work when they're on retirement or tourist visas... It made me very relutant to get involved for fear of a shakedown. Sucks, but it's the reality of a low paid govt workforce... corrupt at any price, even when you're just trying to help people. You're a farang, therefore you're a target. It's yet another reason I wont retire in Thailand when the time comes... I hope to do volunteer work and I shouldnt have to fight, visa-wise, just to do that. Seriously, what degree of moral inversion has to exist when you have to bribe people just to do good???
    soupdragon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Not to disparage Rex's legacy, but I've heard tell of people being harassed for doing charity work when they're on retirement or tourist visas... It made me very relutant to get involved for fear of a shakedown. Sucks, but it's the reality of a low paid govt workforce... corrupt at any price, even when you're just trying to help people. You're a farang, therefore you're a target. It's yet another reason I wont retire in Thailand when the time comes... I hope to do volunteer work and I shouldnt have to fight, visa-wise, just to do that. Seriously, what degree of moral inversion has to exist when you have to bribe people just to do good???
    No good deed goes unpunished eh?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I have done a handful of charity fund collections for an orphanage in Thailand
    Rex donated to that and I donated to his efforts.
    I think what you have been reading about is people doing physical labor.
    Rex never did any of that, he took the ladies shopping, dining to salons, etc. and paid he bill.
    Nothing illegal about that.
    Same here bought food and supplies for an orphanage and on shopping day I never lifted a single item from a shelf to the carts; only took a bunch of pictures and paid the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    I have done a handful of charity fund collections for an orphanage in Thailand
    Rex donated to that and I donated to his efforts.
    I think what you have been reading about is people doing physical labor.
    Rex never did any of that, he took the ladies shopping, dining to salons, etc. and paid he bill.
    Nothing illegal about that.
    Same here bought food and supplies for an orphanage and on shopping day I never lifted a single item from a shelf to the carts; only took a bunch of pictures and paid the bill.
    has anyone ever known personally of an actual arrest or punishment of someone doing volunteer work or is it just forum folklore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast