Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Etihad Flight Upgrade... what a con!

Etihad Flight Upgrade... what a con!

To upgrade from Coral Economy Class to Pearl Business Class, all you need to do is:

Make us an offer by clicking here
    Enter your Payment Information
    Review and Submit
    If your offer has been accepted, you will receive a confirmation mail 24 hours prior to departure along with your new E-ticket. Please note your credit card will be charged only if your bid is successful.

What a load of crap?!! Basically "Let's blind auction the seats in hope someone pays over the true value???"

I did fancy upgrading, but I think doing it like this is damn cheeky.

Been happening with them since the past 18 months or so, not a great deal either even if you bid the minimum. Personally since I got lounge access with them I reverted to cattle class and the modern miracle of sleeping pills.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Never flown Ethiad. IN part, due to this thread, never will... thanks for posting so that others learn from your experience...

Been a few years since I've flown Etihad biz, but it seemed pretty good! I think it's a nice idea and innovative to have an auction for the seats. So you offer what you'd pay extra and get it or not. Nobody is forcing you to pay more as in the price of a biz ticket, there might be deals to be had. I haven't looked into it, but I have had a few freebie upgrades from them, maybe if you are a losing bidder you get a re-offer if they haven't sold out. Not sure why that would put someone off flying with Etihad, most people who pay for biz pay for biz when purchasing, economy passengers now have another option for upgrading. Seems ok by me, not a con at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Been a few years since I've flown Etihad biz, but it seemed pretty good! I think it's a nice idea and innovative to have an auction for the seats. So you offer what you'd pay extra and get it or not. Nobody is forcing you to pay more as in the price of a biz ticket, there might be deals to be had. I haven't looked into it, but I have had a few freebie upgrades from them, maybe if you are a losing bidder you get a re-offer if they haven't sold out. Not sure why that would put someone off flying with Etihad, most people who pay for biz pay for biz when purchasing, economy passengers now have another option for upgrading. Seems ok by me, not a con at all.
    unlike our political views, i agree with you 555

i don't see the issue at all, i think it is kind of cool

For me, I prefer a fixed price for upgrading so I can make an informed decision about whether it's worth it or not. To do it auction style seems 3rd rate to me...

Agree with Robaht can't see how they are conning you , seems perfectly clear ..

Business on Etihad is brilliant and they sometimes have some fantastic sales . Included in the price are four Limo journeys which you can use to get to/from Heathrow and to/from Bangkok
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    For me, I prefer a fixed price for upgrading so I can make an informed decision about whether it's worth it or not. To do it auction style seems 3rd rate to me...
    why
    whatever price you decide to bid is then worth it to you, no?

Most winners will end up overpaying but it's a pretty clever ploy by the airline.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Agree with Robaht can't see how they are conning you , seems perfectly clear ..

Business on Etihad is brilliant and they sometimes have some fantastic sales . Included in the price are four Limo journeys which you can use to get to/from Heathrow and to/from Bangkok
    That's the thing with auctions and in particular silent auctions. They don't con you as the bidders kind of end up conning themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    That's the thing with auctions and in particular silent auctions. They don't con you as the bidders kind of end up conning themselves.
    I would guess that most people would check the price of biz vs. what they paid before making a bid, not many would go over I'd imagine. United airlines always suggests if you want to upgrade and the price, but the price is pretty expensive, at least this method offers a way to bid below that price. Now whether a low bid is ever accepted is a different matter, but on an empty biz flight and they can score a few extra biz seats and the revenue related, you never know.

A post from flyertalk.com:
    "It's really going to depend on what the loads look like 24 hours before your flight. If J is full the day you fly with people who bought J tickets, you won't be able to upgrade. If not, EY seems pretty eager to sell upgrades to fill otherwise empty premium seats.

I flew the EY 130 IAD - AUH last Wednesday, there were only 9 pax total in F & J classes, and they were very eager to sell upgrades. My ticket was in J class, they emailed me twice inviting me to bid, starting at $800, to upgrade to F. Don't know how much they want to upgrade from Y to J. At the airport check-in, they had flyers on the counter encouraging pax to ask for an "Instant Upgrade." Once the plane takes off, any unsold seats represent revenue the carrier will never receive. So they are very eager to sell as many upgrades as possible and maximize their revenue. Smart business IMHO.

I chose not to upgrade to F, although I was tempted, and have no regrets. EY J is excellent, IMHO. Dining on demand, flat bed, pretty good selection of wines & liquor. And a fabulous lounge at IAD.

Hope you are successful getting your upgrade!"

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    I would guess that most people would check the price of biz vs. what they paid before making a bid, not many would go over I'd imagine. United airlines always suggests if you want to upgrade and the price, but the price is pretty expensive, at least this method offers a way to bid below that price. Now whether a low bid is ever accepted is a different matter, but on an empty biz flight and they can score a few extra biz seats and the revenue related, you never know.

"
    I fly enough with United that i know what the value of biz upgrade is
    so if i had an auction, i would just use that as a guide

Etihad business is actually very good value, my problem wit the auction is that it's not much if any of a saving on tge upfront price. I think it was about 1600 extra on top of my fare of about 700 to put the minimum bid in for each of the 4legs of the flight and you weren't even assured of getting an upgrade for each leg. aI think if u want to go business do it as far in advance as possible

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    unlike our political views, i agree with you 555

i don't see the issue at all, i think it is kind of cool
    I dont disagree with Ethiad's right to do this.

But applying a basic common sense test, it's a con.

They're hoping people without a notion of how much these things cost bid over the amount that it actually would cost. Not that it would bother me, I dont fall for these kinds of things.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

I fly Thai and never gets a free upgrade, although a gold member. All free upgrades seem to go to Thai people. I would welcome the chance to upgrade by paying a modest sum

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I dont disagree with Ethiad's right to do this.

But applying a basic common sense test, it's a con.

They're hoping people without a notion of how much these things cost bid over the amount that it actually would cost. Not that it would bother me, I dont fall for these kinds of things.
    This ^^.

I did look when they offered me, and the minimum amount to bid was reasonable, but the top end does look way over priced.

It was for each leg of the journey (I'm going to the UK via Abu Dhabi so each flight is 6-7hrs) but I'm not sure I'd benefit from business class for 6-7hrs, so didn't bother bidding.

And don't forget, once you go to business class you don't ever want to leave, they suck you in and bleed you dry and the whole time you smile and think I'm glad I'm not sitting back there and where did all those people at the baggage carrousel come from, there were only 20 of us on the plane LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    This ^^.

I did look when they offered me, and the minimum amount to bid was reasonable, but the top end does look way over priced.

It was for each leg of the journey (I'm going to the UK via Abu Dhabi so each flight is 6-7hrs) but I'm not sure I'd benefit from business class for 6-7hrs, so didn't bother bidding.

Not a con at all, & would be great if you could get a BC seat without paying the full rate.

Anybody who pays more than the usual BC fare, well I would say they're stupid, rather than having been conned
    Dkdude likes this.

For me, it depends on the length of the flight. Trips from LOS to Florida run 26+ hours... so I upgrade on the long leg (nearly 12 hours air time).

For anything around 6 hours of less I wouldnt bother though...

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    For me, it depends on the length of the flight. Trips from LOS to Florida run 26+ hours... so I upgrade on the long leg (nearly 12 hours air time).

For anything around 6 hours of less I wouldnt bother though...
    us people who fly long flights and are used to them can do 6hrs standing on our heads

for me, it also depends on the airline
    unless it is a real good deal i wouldn't upgrade to biz/1st class on airlines in North America because it is not THAT much better than economy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast