Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By faultytowers
  • 1 Post By sundancekid
  • 1 Post By sundancekid

Thread: Fitness Bands

Fitness Bands

Anybody have one of these? I am intrigued as it would be cool to know how many calories burned etc. sleeping rhythms, and there seems to be about 3 (or 4) good choices in the Nike Fuel Band SE, Fitbit Force, and Jawbone UP, but I'm not sure what is best. There is a Fitbit you can just keep in your pocket (since I do already wear a watch) but I'm not sure that it's the easiest option. Just wondering if anyone here has tried one? I have a Macbook and am getting my first iPhone for xmas, so finally one of these gadgets might be useful and fun.

Cheers, Robaht

Nobody responded but I did go ahead and buy a Fitbit One (have to admit these little things are easy to lose and I lost the first one after a month, but bought a second - actually nice to have double accessories, but not budget nice if you see what I mean). I love it. It keeps me alert to how active I am and sleep patterns, flights of stairs etc. with a daily goal and weekly reports, badges for attaining certain levels. It does change habits, I walk the long way around if I have time, take the stairs (10th floor) when I can (ie. when I don't mind sweating in the hot stairwell, like after working out or long walk home from shopping). In addition I bought the Aria scale that links with it so I can track progress without writing it down since it syncs automatically. Plus, I have family and friends who have it and there is a rolling 7-day leaderboard.

Anyway, great purchase and a bit of a funny thing in that I hate to go anywhere without it and miss my step points (and I guess iPhone will or does have some ability to do it but you can't wear your iPhone on your wrist when you sleep or really when working out so it is really nice that it is small and light).

Anybody else have one?

Sorry Bro missed this.

Always good to stay healthy.

I am just old school go to gym.

So whatever helps you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Sorry Bro missed this.

Always good to stay healthy.

I am just old school go to gym.

So whatever helps you do that.
    I'm older school and go for a run... or walk places.... 55

Fitness bands are a good idea for discipline... I rely on my Garmin GPS for when I am running. I very occasionally notice the calories burned, but am more concerned with pace and miles covered etc. But for a non-sport way of monitoring activity, a fitness band would be great...

I use the Garmin Vivofit, at least it gets me moving a bit more in the office.

You could try a Fatness Band !

It is more commonly known as a tape measure .

Have a waist less than half your height to stay healthy say diet experts - Mirror Online
    Waharoa likes this.

^You'd have to have a pretty big gut to achieve that though... 5 ft 10 and 42 inches... 60% and you lose 1.7 years of life. Not too bad if you live to a 102...

For someone being in the tech industry, I've never been much of a gadget guy TBH. I've always taken the pragmatic view towards programming / coding and I believe it has served me well. Same goes for gadgetry...

I did get a request recently though to intercept data from those fitbit bands. And since I'm currently trying to find hikes around Phuket as part of my not-dying-before-50 project, I picked up the Fitbit Charge HR at Jungceylong just the other day at 6K THB.

Best fitness trackers 2015: Jawbone, Misfit, Fitbit, Garmin and more

And must admit I'm kind of loving it. Was actually amazed at how well it tracked elevation. Every time I walk the stairs up to my house it actually tracks it (>10 feet per "floor" using atmospheric pressure), and similarly the hill climbs. The out-of-the-box dashboard is also quite good, but I want to log the data in a database as well for futher usage. With heart rates, steps etc., it's a check on all accounts for me. And I don't look like a clown wearing it...
    Last edited by sundancekid; 7th June 2015 at 23:22.
    Waharoa likes this.

^^ Nice! Where did you buy it from in Jungceylon SDK ? went to central last weekend and couldnt find one.....will go and pick one up today

It was at the electronics shop on the second floor, just underneath the cinema.

Oh boy, and now we're gonna start analysing sleep-patterns 555.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Ok thanks I think that's Powerbuy?.... will pop down there today