• 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 2 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib
  • 1 Post By Dkdude
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Hua hin for a holiday yes or no

Hua hin for a holiday yes or no

Hi guys and girls.
    Thinking of trying a few new places with the family this year as well as heading back to Phuket. Any recommendations for Hua Hin accommodation and best way to get there?
    Thanks

It's years since I've been, went with Tommy ( Talbotman ) as it happens, but I enjoyed it wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it.

It is a bit tricky to get to, around 4 hours from Bangkok by car, we got a minibus to ourselves so it was a fairly pain free trip but it is a bit of an effort to get there. There is a floating market on the way which is worth a stop for an hour or so if you've never seen one before and it does break the journey up nicely.

We stayed here: Thipurai City Hotel, The Friendly Mini Deluxe Hotel in Hua-Hin It's in a good spot, close to the beach and nightlife, but again it's been a while so not sure what the place is like now.

Generally, Hua Hin had a real nice, laid back, feel with a slow pace that I enjoyed. I remember debating how best to get to Phuket from there and it looked like a road trip would be a decent option rather than back to Bangkok and fly. I think the road trip would take 8 hours or so; wouldn't have a clue as to cost.

I will see if I can dig out a couple of pictures, I got my best ever sunset shot from the roof of the Thipurai.
    okdilligaf1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    It is a bit tricky to get to, around 4 hours from Bangkok by car.
    I usually use between 2.5 and 3 hours on this trip.

train down from BKK is a nice option...

How much family and what are you looking to spend and how long?

We are most likely renting a 4 bedroom house with pool about 10 minutes from HH center for 1000/week

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    How much family and what are you looking to spend and how long?

We are most likely renting a 4 bedroom house with pool about 10 minutes from HH center for 1000/week
    2 adults 1 toddler 1 baby.
    A house would be ideal.
    Is that 1000 in pounds , baht , euro or potato chips ?

Quote Originally Posted by okdilligaf1 View Post
    you've been busy
    okdilligaf1 likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Personally I find hua hin a bit dull.. Its not awful at anything, but its mediocre at everything.. Its beach is nothing like Anadman coast or Lamai etc.. Its bar scene is pretty small and lame.. Theres good Golf around there, which I dont play, but there doesnt seem much else to do. I have a lot of buddies who now live there, many ex-phuketians and oil guys who by being near bangkok avoid an extra connecting flight to get home, but once I have caught up, got around the expat bars, it feels like a place with not much to do. The expats there all seem to be daily bar flys due to this (maybe thats just who I know !!). Plus the traffic at the weekends and rush hour is insane now.

Its fine for a few days at most for me, maybe 5 or so.. Hit the bintabat bar zone.. Soi 80.. Do the night market one time and eat good seafood along there (good value lobster and prawns, BBQ scallops etc).. Head one beach south to takieb beach (nicer than HH itself IMO).. Hit the few bars I know owners in and a couple of boozy nights and then I am ready to get out of Dodge. Its not awful by any stretch, theres just other places I have more fun.
    nelsonone likes this.

I agree with Sef, my answer would be 'no'
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I agree with Sef
    The end is nigh !!!
    Evilbaz and Dkdude like this.

Hua Hin sunrise from the roof of the hotel. I have some beach pics somewhere as well. I agree with Lil about the beach, it's not particularly pretty. It's in the Gulf of Thailand rather than on the Andaman coast so not that lovely blue Phuket ocean rolling in. It was a neat and clean beach though; think Pattaya with some rocks and without all the shite:

It was 2006 when I was there according to the dates on the pictures, seems like a lifetime ago now:

okdilligaf1 likes this.

Was there in 2006 during the coup. Nice and laid back. Picture taken from a condo I rented

IMG_0365.jpg
    Steve@thaib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkdude View Post
    Was there in 2006 during the coup. Nice and laid back.
    Same here...I left Hua Hin the morning of the 2006 coup.

My "little lady" and I had been in Hua Hin for a week, and as you say...nice and laid back.

Early in the morning of September 19th, we took a chartered limo from there to Don Mueng airport in Bangkok, to catch a flight to Chiang Mai.

We were up so early, that we hadn't had a chance to catch any news yet. And about halfway to Bangkok (on the highway) the traffic slowed to a near crawl, for a few miles. There were all kinds of military vehicles lining the sides of the road, and lots of armed soldiers standing around in "ponchos" (a wet and rainy morning).

We asked our driver about it, and he said he didn't know...maybe some drug intervention going on?

Arriving at Don Mueng, we were aware of many armed soldiers in and around the airport. We were running late, and hurried to catch our flight.

Upon arrival at Chiang Mai, I was stunned to see a couple of Army officers and several armed soldiers standing right at the planes door in the jetway, as we got off the airplane. (WTF???) Then tons of armed soldiers throughout the terminal and area, as well.

Finally getting to our hotel and checking in, we were able to get the news and learn of the coup.

Stayed sort of close to our hotel for the first couple of days, to see what was playing out. But really nothing to note as far as inconvenience or problems with the "martial law".

I went and much like others have said, it was OK without being "good". I'd say it's worth seeing, but I didnt find the beach particularly good. I accidently booked a hotel in the night life area... I literally didnt know when I booked it, had just seen reviews that there were many restaurants and shops in the area. But overall, in my 2 or 3 days there, I'd say it was OK but not overly great. Something different to try...

Quote Originally Posted by okdilligaf1 View Post
    A house would be ideal.
    Is that 1000 in pounds , baht , euro or potato chips ?
    I got quoted 40k baht for 4bdrm/4 bath place so a smaller place would be cheaper
    I am on biz but will be back in Vancouver Wednesday and will send you info
    okdilligaf1 likes this.