Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: student loans

student loans

this is sort of a follow up of Dupe's post on this generation of kids

My crushing student debt - Salon.com

i think this is a big reason the US will go down the shitter

why does this kid's 32k debt deserve any sort of media space? he knowingly took out loans( not to mention 32k is not "crushing") but now he wants to bitch about it because he got his degree and now has to live to the terms of the loan agreement?

i got out of school and i worked full time, then had a 2nd job for the 1st 4-5 years of my career

kid's like this getting any sort of platform to whine about completely reasonable student loans drives me fcuking insane

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    this is sort of a follow up of Dupe's post on this generation of kids

My crushing student debt - Salon.com

i think this is a big reason the US will go down the shitter

why does this kid's 32k debt deserve any sort of media space? he knowingly took out loans( not to mention 32k is not "crushing") but now he wants to bitch about it because he got his degree and now has to live to the terms of the loan agreement?

i got out of school and i worked full time, then had a 2nd job for the 1st 4-5 years of my career

kid's like this getting any sort of platform to whine about completely reasonable student loans drives me fcuking insane
    Kids need to treat student loans like an investment. They shouldn't borrow more than they have to and they should be fairly sure they can get a return on their investment. Borrowing $100k and getting a sociology degree is fucking retarded.

I took out $14k for my undergrad degree and paid the rest myself with scholarships and a full time job. Paid my way through law school without borrowing a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Kids need to treat student loans like an investment. They shouldn't borrow more than they have to and they should be fairly sure they can get a return on their investment. Borrowing $100k and getting a sociology degree is fucking retarded.

I took out $14k for my undergrad degree and paid the rest myself with scholarships and a full time job. Paid my way through law school without borrowing a dime.
    yeah
    and i love how he said he took out loans to pay for his books and car
    like both of those couldn't be paid for in real time with a part time job

yeah
    and i love how he said he took out loans to pay for his books and car
    like both of those couldn't be paid for in real time with a part time job
    They should limit the loans to cover tuition only. Maybe room/board and books too but certainly that money shouldn't be used for cars, partying, etc which is what often happens.

They should limit the loans to cover tuition only. Maybe room/board and books too but certainly that money shouldn't be used for cars, partying, etc which is what often happens.
    when i took out my student loans, we took them out for tuition/room & board
    wouldn't even of had a clue you could take them out for anything more

when i took out my student loans, we took them out for tuition/room & board
    wouldn't even of had a clue you could take them out for anything more
    Even with tuition, kids should make wise decisions. Makes no sense borrowing $100k to pay for a sociology degree at Harvard knowing you can't get a job paying more than $25k a year with that degree. Kids and their parents just don't think those things through sometimes.

Even with tuition, kids should make wise decisions. Makes no sense borrowing $100k to pay for a sociology degree at Harvard knowing you can't get a job paying more than $25k a year with that degree. Kids and their parents just don't think those things through sometimes.
    i was on a partial football scholarship( paid half) but still very stupid of me to go to a small private college no one knows anything about
    could have gotten the same results at a state school

i was on a partial football scholarship( paid half) but still very stupid of me to go to a small private college no one knows anything about
    could have gotten the same results at a state school
    I'm a big believer in state schools. Unless you're on a full ride scholarship, private schools just aren't worth it IMO.

i spent 4 years at as electical apprentis i left school at 15 in 1968
    my wages were about £7or£8 a week(for 40 hours)
    once the appentiship was over they got rid of us and recruited new boys
    my mates got into roofing all millionares now

Government here provide student loans to students with good results.

Most of these cunts get the loans, study overseas, they do not return to help the country, best of all they DO NOT repay the loan.

Many now want the student loans to be abolished!!! Borrow from the banks instead and let the banks catch them and deep dry them until they repay !!!

Tax payers money gone to waste with these cunts !!!

Ooopss not all dont repay, but majority dont.
    josh86 likes this.

Yes
    Me too sparky..started elec app in 66 for 4 pounds a week. not quite OT

Supreme Court judge Clerance Thomas was in his 3rd term as such before he paid off his student dept. crazy!

I read his book, it's very much inspirational.

The Transmuting Problem of Law School Debt - SBM Blog

ah Clarence Thomas....made a bit of a stink on the "Hill"

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ah Clarence Thomas....made a bit of a stink on the "Hill"
    555 he brushes over that in his book.

Actually the is great. Dirt poor, shoeless and raised by his hard line grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Supreme Court judge Clerance Thomas was in his 3rd term as such before he paid off his student dept. crazy!

I read his book, it's very much inspirational.

The Transmuting Problem of Law School Debt - SBM Blog
    i don't see the issue at all
    he chose to go to one of the priciest law schools in the country and chose to go to school that long
    should be no complaining or sympathy that it took him that long to pay off his loans

i don't see the issue at all
    he chose to go to one of the priciest law schools in the country and chose to go to school that long
    should be no complaining or sympathy that it took him that long to pay off his loans
    Didn't show any sympathy, did I? Just said its crazy that a person of such renown and pure power would be indebted for such a long time.

I've got 3 boys in uni as we speak. I'm more qualified to talk about this kind of stuff than I care to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Didn't show any sympathy, did I? Just said its crazy that a person of such renown and pure power would be indebted for such a long time.

I've got 3 boys in uni as we speak. I'm more qualified to talk about this kind of stuff than I care to admit.
    worked for govt for long time before being a judge
    played the long game like bg's 555

I think there may have been a different attitude in the past to University education in the U.S compared to the U.K.

Previously a University education was 'reserved' for those who could afford it or those who met the entry qualifications but needed financial help (bursary/scholarship etc) to meet the costs. The courses studied were those that were needed and offered the best chance of employment.

The percentage of people going to University was much lower than today , vocational qualifications (apprenticeships etc) were more common. Jobs that today require a degree (eg nursing) had their own 'schools' and relevant qualifications.

Today a University education is seen as a "right" that should be available to everyone and the type/number of courses has increased but has that improved the educational standards or devalued the system ?

I know people say that any University education is a positive because it involves some form of studying/discipline but in the 'real' world is taking a degree course in a subject that is unlikely to improve employment opportunities really a benefit ?

How many times do you see reports about the number of university students that are unable to find 'suitable'/any employment when they graduate ? Look at the subjects they studied , grades they got and the needs of the employment market.

Doctors , lawyers, finance will always be needed but the thousands who have unsuitable/irrelevant qualifications are going to be competing for lower paid jobs ....... and complaining that they can't get the dream job they are 'entitled' to !

A University education is great but I don't see it , or a well paying job , as a right. And if at the end of the day people end up with a lot of debt they possibly only have their own choices to blame.
    Evilbaz and Geespot like this.

I agree 110 % LiL.

There are far too many "dead end degrees" flogged out there in Uni land.

I have one son with a PhD. in plant biology working in Canada - gets plenty of funding/job offers.
    The other did two degrees, neither of which resulted in jobs, and then selected his best subject, did a vocational course and became a Tax Nazi. 555!

LiL ??? What I do now ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast