Thread: Oklahoma tornado

Oklahoma tornado

Just popped into BBC News and saw reports about the huge tornado that hit Oklahoma......Unbelievable power in those tornadoes. Must be hard living in those places and have to handle this more or less every year......................

Bloody terrible thing and must have been so frightening - especially for all the poor kids !!

One thing I can't get my head around is they've been tornado's battering the place (and many others) for a long time now, but when they rebuild, they seem to build very similar designs.

I think I'd want to live at least partially underground (not simply having a cellar) if I knew my family could be subjected to that sort of forocious waether at almost any time !

K2
    Not much fun living in low laying coastal areas of Bangladesh either ... mother nature can be a very cruel bitch at times.
    Its My Life .....!

The terrible tragedy aside... found it a bit strange that those schools in the "tornado alley" didn't all have proper shelters.

All the schools I attended as a child had bomb shelters, and then I mean the proper bunker ones fit even for survivalist loonies. Not to criticize, but just found it strange.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    The terrible tragedy aside... found it a bit strange that those schools in the "tornado alley" didn't all have proper shelters.

All the schools I attended as a child had bomb shelters, and then I mean the proper bunker ones fit even for survivalist loonies. Not to criticize, but just found it strange.
    We are Noggies being taken over by Germans during the 2nd world war, we was a strategic location during the cold war and learned how to deal with things........America never been attacked and being a young country with no history, they don't know how to deal with things.......I'm a bit drunk, but sober enough to see that this might end up as Yank bashing 5555

I will come back to what "things" is later on...............

I would love to see a tornado. Except that I know I simply do not fear them enough. I know the damage they cause and loss of life and have seen what debris turned into projectiles can do but I would just be too fascinated to run. In my mind its still just 'twirly wind'.
    I'm gonna make my own thread, with Blackjack and Hookers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    I would love to see a tornado. Except that I know I simply do not fear them enough. I know the damage they cause and loss of life and have seen what debris turned into projectiles can do but I would just be too fascinated to run. In my mind its still just 'twirly wind'.
    I witnessed an avalanche. Even filmed it not knowing that the awesome spectacle i witnessed took 6 lives,Swiss Army.

Felt a bit ill later that the thrill i had got from seeing the thing ended up the way it did.

^^^ you would think the Swiss would have learned how to deal with such "things"....

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    It's a pretty dark and frightening experience Rob.

I mean "dark", as in the sky is dark and perilous looking. And the noise is startling and ominous.

Warning sirens blaring, and it is not a fun time.

Unless you're one of those "storm chasers"...I can't believe those guys? 555

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    ^^^ you would think the Swiss would have learned how to deal with such "things"....
    ^ there was a lot of controversy about it after as to why they were out there and it came out that it was supposedly a known safe place and avalanches were rare and everything was under control,until....

There were 2 groups of men tethered together about 1/2 k away from each other when it happened.
    The other group stayed put until a chopper came and lifted them out,4 lots of 2. I got a few pics of that.

2007 Avalanche News - Guides Charged in Military Avalanche Deaths

Fox news reported that it was all orchestrated by Obama to take the pressure offf the 3 sins of wickedness...and if he helps the victims out in any way it will just be politically motivated

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Fox news reported that it was all orchestrated by Obama to take the pressure offf the 3 sins of wickedness...and if he helps the victims out in any way it will just be politically motivated
    And mysteriously, no guns have been recovered from the wreckage...

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    ^ there was a lot of controversy about it after as to why they were out there and it came out that it was supposedly a known safe place and avalanches were rare and everything was under control,until....

There were 2 groups of men tethered together about 1/2 k away from each other when it happened.
    The other group stayed put until a chopper came and lifted them out,4 lots of 2. I got a few pics of that.

2007 Avalanche News - Guides Charged in Military Avalanche Deaths
    i live in BC and we have some big mountains. I go to Whistler a lot and think i am in the Canadian mountains

well, my 1st trip up to Alberta......that put my theory of knowing the Canadian wilderness to rest!
    that was some serious frigging shit! and something you have to be very aware of when driving. road conditions, potential avalanches, etc

'Storm Chasers' stars killed in Oklahoma

Former Storm Chasers star Tim Samaras and colleague Carl Young, along with Tim’s son Paul, were killed Friday while following a tornado in Oklahoma.

'Storm Chasers' star killed in Oklahoma | Inside TV | EW.com

^ sounds like they may have been out in the field chasing a twister.

Always wondered how dangerous seeking them out was and how difficult it may be to get out of harms way.

My friends brother-in-law was caught in an avalanche, they had foolishly skied off piste, even though they were experienced and knew better. He was part of a 10 man group of friends and work colleges, the other 9 died.

He described the incident in graphic detail, the speed, the sound, the weight of the snow, lying under the snow not knowing which way was up and not being able to move any part of his body, wow claustrophobic or what? He told me of the spit test, to figure out which way up he was and which direction he needed to go to try to dig himself out. How he made room around his mouth and nose to be able to breath some air.

Moving just fingers, how he worked and worked at trying to slowly dig himself out and how lucky he was that after x period of hours his hand was only inches below the surface and he could get it out and move just that one arm, how much relief this small amount of movement was. The total relief when they found him and dug him out and then the despair of finding out all his friends had died and was the only survivor, how this very fact has tormented him for years.

Snow, sand, water, we all take these elements for the beauty they offer us to see, the joy of skiing, surfing, etc on and then are shocked at the power of these elements when things turn bad.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!