Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Waharoa

Thread: cost of kids

cost of kids

Not a question, really just a relay

My stepson is 12yrs old and now needs a printer because his school wants thier homework printed out. Initially Ao thought we needed to buy a new desktop but told her we can just buy a printer for his laptop.

But she gets real freaked out with the increased expenses coming in with him
    I sat her down yesterday and told her, he is 12yrs old now, things get more expensive when they get to this age and you can't freak out over it. It costs money regardless if he is in Canada or Thailand

I think the fact she left school at 13yrs old, plus only went to village schools( cheaper) she doesn't realize the costs involved when kids get older
    School, sport fees, going out with friends, singing lessons( yes he is taking singing lessons, dude is good!), etc

There's no end to the increased expenses.....just relaying.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    There's no end to the increased expenses.....just relaying.
    yes
    you would definitely know!
    that is what i told her, buckle up, it only gets bumpier 555

Wait till he wants a scooter and a car.. 5555

I'm just trying to think what my parent's spent on me.... apart from a roof over my head... and food... most other things came from after school jobs. First bike... I paid for it. First tennis racket.... I paid for it... school uniform... I paid for it... ok, I think they paid for my clothes up to about 13...

I'm suing my parents for neglect... 555

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    I'm just trying to think what my parent's spent on me.... apart from a roof over my head... and food... most other things came from after school jobs. First bike... I paid for it. First tennis racket.... I paid for it... school uniform... I paid for it... ok, I think they paid for my clothes up to about 13...

I'm suing my parents for neglect... 555
    that's good
    we got way too much from my mom....i think because she felt bad my dad died when we were so young

but she would neglect paying important bills

i think it is good to be able to provide for the kids, if you can afford, while keeping a good balance of teaching them the meaning of a dollar

by the way, my stepson actually works! the little fcuker is very well known around the neighborhood( he is the family's gopher) so some bbq stall gave him a job and he was making 200baht/day............now with school he works just a little

^I know you appreciate growing up in a family where money wasn't plenty Paul. I at least had a dad, but he was an alcoholic who didn't work for 8 years from when I was 13... but the funny thing is, at the time (and I am sure you probably felt the same) I had no idea we were poor. It seemed normal to pay for things myself.

I also think it's great to provide for your kids if you can... give them the best opportunity in life to succeed... as long as they also appreciate the value of money... When you are poor, it's engrained, but when not poor, sometimes it can be missed...

Will your stepson appreciate the value of the printer.... or expect it?
    sundancekid likes this.

[QUOTE=Waharoa;10672]^I know you appreciate growing up in a family where money wasn't plenty Paul.

i know i think like that too and so does my wife seeing she had fcuk all when she was small, but its amazing that a lot of thai women don't appreciate money and just blow it. My wife has been thinking about getting a iphone for about 1 year but can't justify spending that much money on a phone when she thinks of her family back home..ok they are not skint and have nice house and always food on the table but 600 euros on a phone is a lot..now if i bought it for her that would be a different story555

My brother and I was the poorest kids in school and we had to cancel school trips as our parents just couldn't afford it....It was really hard back then, but it all thought us lessons about real life. Imagine growing up in the 70ies/80ies with no money to spend.....no fancy clothes, no walkmans, no donky kong Jr......life was just hard.
    When people tell me their childhood was the best time of their life it doesn't refer to me. I start to work when I was 17 and that was the time my life started...I would never ever look back on my life and miss my childhood. That said, I love my mother and my father (RIP), but I'm happy I'm not in their positions bringing up kids with no or limited chances to win the world.......
    Anyway my advise to others is do do what they feel like, forget about A4 if it doesn't suit you... and have a good time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    ^
    Will your stepson appreciate the value of the printer.... or expect it?
    her impression is that he does expect things, and that is why she was a bit pissed
    but hey, he is a 12yr old who sees his mom once a year, so i am sure that factors into it also. he probably think he SHOULD get some positives out of the situation

but he's a great kid who loves school, does well and truly enjoys all the stuff he asks to join( soccer, computer class, singing lessons)

plus, he actually has a job. he is pretty well know around the 'hood because he is the family gopher. so a bbq stall gave him a job at 200baht/day on break and he works on weekends now that school is in