Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By K2

Thread: lax(lazy?) immigration

lax(lazy?) immigration

We moved recently and i figured to call Immigration and inform them i moved.
    The officer on the phone said i needed to do it online, but online is just for people who have application pending that move during that period
    She then tells me there is no need to notify them. I asked:

me- "but what if immigration needs to contact me?
    Imm-" we won't need to contact you"

She told me to just update my address the next time i make an application ( PR later this year, new WP next year)

I found that quite odd, that they don't care to have my current address. I would think they would require me to notify them to keep them current.

Got me thinking, it seems they make it tough to get visas and such to North America but after that it is pretty lax.
    One of the kids charged with helping the Boston bomber came back in on an expired student visa
    The other bomber had been arrested( should just be deported if arrested)

When we go to the US, my wife isn't checked that she left at all. ( looks like they may change that after Boston bombings)

Seems odd they don't have better follow up once inside

I went to the bank to update my address, the lady at the counter said the billing address is more important than the one on my identity card. I said "ooh thank you" then left.

No wonder many put fake address on billing address.

K2
    Careful what you wish for .... you;d surely not welcome the 90 day pain in ass reporting that we have to do in Thailand. Fair enough - very tough entry criteria, but once approved then no more pointless checks. The authyorities know where everybody is these days (mobiles, ISP etc) - they dont need to bother for people to actually report changes of address etc.
    soupdragon likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Careful what you wish for .... you;d surely not welcome the 90 day pain in ass reporting that we have to do in Thailand. Fair enough - very tough entry criteria, but once approved then no more pointless checks. The authyorities know where everybody is these days (mobiles, ISP etc) - they dont need to bother for people to actually report changes of address etc.
    i guess you are right
    just surprised by it

and it just seems we worry way too much than a lot of people we know about abiding by visa laws
    we know one girl who overstayed her education visa in US for 10 years! now easily into Canada on PR
    one girl, had the police come get her at work for visa violation and was back in Canada about 20 days later!!