Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slampay

Thread: Traffic Lights

Traffic Lights

Was driving down 200 pee rd in Patong around 1pm today and noticed new traffic lights being set up in different areas...one in particular which was actually working was on 200 Pee and Sai Nam Yen...The light was only working for the traffic going south on 200 Pee and not going west on Sai Nam Yen...it actually turned red and people didn't even notice and kept going through...should be interesting to see how this plays out as we all know how well drivers around here abide by the rules of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    Was driving down 200 pee rd in Patong around 1pm today and noticed new traffic lights being set up in different areas...one in particular which was actually working was on 200 Pee and Sai Nam Yen...The light was only working for the traffic going south on 200 Pee and not going west on Sai Nam Yen...it actually turned red and people didn't even notice and kept going through...should be interesting to see how this plays out as we all know how well drivers around here abide by the rules of the road.
    Are ambulances in a que like tuktuks? 55
    kris-one likes this.

one in particular which was actually working was on 200 Pee and Sai Nam Yen...
    Are you sure, it was working? I haven't seen it turned on yet, but there is a shop light on the left side a little after the traffic light, and when you are nearing the cross road, it looks like it is a red light. I have been wondering if that light is not bound to create confusing when they actually turn on the lights.

Yeah it was working..I actually turned rt onto sainamyen just to stop and see if what I saw was what I thought
    ..then again...maybe they had them on temporarily ...will have to look again

Does it have count down timers on it ? Freaked me out the first time I saw that on a set of traffic lights - in Thailand.......

yes they did have the countdown

actually I think this will make traffic more congested

Yeah it was working..I actually turned rt onto sainamyen just to stop and see if what I saw was what I thought
    ..then again...maybe they had them on temporarily ...will have to look again
    They weren't on last night. It's a long time since they started putting them up, so maybe they are finally ready to turn them on. I actually started a thread on the lights back in January:

Traffic lights in Patong

My guess is that they will make the traffic worse.

I was also thinking about all the talk on the possibility of someday reversing the traffic flow...so if/when this happens they will just have to re-do all the lights to face the other way...as usual...great forsight and planning here

actually I think this will make traffic more congested
    I'm having trouble thinking of anything that wouldn't do that.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Drove by again today and lights were all working with BIB handing out tickets to red light runners

Sai Nam Yen? Isn't that Road Sawatdirak or have I the wrong location?

Drove by again today and lights were all working with BIB handing out tickets to red light runners
    Just to farang$$$ or Thai too?

I saw them pull over a Thai

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Just to farang$$$ or Thai too?
    I have never seen the traffic police discriminate when stopping drivers. I don't know if they charge more from farangs, but they surely stop Thais as well as farangs.

Well, actually, when thinking it over, I have seen them discriminate. I have a couple of times been waved through at stop posts in the country side where they were stopping all the other drivers, probably because the didn't want to try to communicate in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Sai Nam Yen? Isn't that Road Sawatdirak or have I the wrong location?
    Just to confuse you Captain Sawatdirak Rd ends at Rattuchit.... and it then becomes Sai Nam Yen up past the hospital and
    towards Nanai Rd.

I love that intersection at Sai Nam Yen and Middle Broken Road. No one has a clue what they are doing, just keep moving and look determined and be real ready to stop in a hurry.
    Driving Thai rules at it's best

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Well, actually, when thinking it over, I have seen them discriminate. I have a couple of times been waved through at stop posts in the country side where they were stopping all the other drivers, probably because the didn't want to try to communicate in English.
    Did a few trips in Issaan and the North, they are not interesred in stopping farangs. My TGF told they were chasing ya baa, so even numberplates from far away provinces of Thailand were no no game.

Have been stopped just as many times i been waiwed trough a police check...
    Once for check DUI, another for "driving in the fast lane too long", (600Bfine, but it was ok with 400 cash and the policeofficer would pay for me at the station..), and then the usual tax and driving licence check...