Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Galaxy S5 at a glance:

• Form factor: Water-resistant bar phone, IP67 certification
    • General: 2G, 3G and 4G LTE connectivity
    • Dimensions: 142 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, 145 g
    • Display: 5.1" 16M-color Super AMOLED HD capacitive touchscreen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (431ppi)
    • Chipset: Snapdragon 800 MSM8974-AC
    • CPU: 2.5GHz Krait 400
    • GPU: Adreno 330
    • RAM: 2GB
    • Memory: 16/32GB storage, microSD card slot
    • Still camera: 16 megapixel auto-focus camera
    • Video camera: UHD (2160p) video recording
    • Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, microUSB 3.0 with MHL, GPS receiver with A-GPS and GLONASS, 3.5mm audio jack, NFC, Infrared port
    • Battery: 2800mAh
    • Heart rate monitor
    • Fingerprint scanner
    • Additional sensors: humidity sensor, temperature sensor

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_mwc_...iew-1055p2.php

I like the return "button" on Samsung, and I like the alarm much better, also I guess ease of setting screens, but it seems less responsive in general, maybe this one is faster? If it was easier to link to my other Apple crap I might have stayed with Samsung, much cheaper, but I (not being super IT but not being incompetent either I think) could never get it to sync correctly, change to camera mode, change back, get rid of K whatever and then add K whatever, anyway, iPhone, plugged it in and totally working immediately. Still I use my Galaxy ACE for traveling and still like it, just wish it was easier to integrate, they could take the entire market and I'd be a buyer. But too much hassle as is.

For those not in the market for a flagship phone but still want good performance there is the Motorola Moto G. Every review is raving about it and after picking one up at the weekend I can see why, it's a whole lot of smartphone for the money and now with Android 4.4.2 Kitkat update available. I got mine in Kuala Lumpur as Motorola left Thailand a few years back but just started this week Lazada have them available on their website.

Motorola Moto G - Full phone specifications

IMPORTED Motorola Moto G Smartphone - 16GB Black | ???????

It would seem to me, we are reaching one of those temporary plateaus, where the phones, even in their most basic formats, can do everything asked of them. There was a time back around Android 2.2 where they struggled with video conferencing or hangouts.. But with the OS streamlining in 4.4.2 and project butter I am struggling to see any reason why even mid end last years phones need upgrading.

I dont play graphically intensive games on a phone, a couple of puzzlers or something for an airport wait is about my tolerance and that about the only thing I can see which would strain any of these mid end phones now. As a comms device, skype, video hangouts, etc etc theres not much in it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    It would seem to me, we are reaching one of those temporary plateaus, where the phones, even in their most basic formats, can do everything asked of them. There was a time back around Android 2.2 where they struggled with video conferencing or hangouts.. But with the OS streamlining in 4.4.2 and project butter I am struggling to see any reason why even mid end last years phones need upgrading.

I dont play graphically intensive games on a phone, a couple of puzzlers or something for an airport wait is about my tolerance and that about the only thing I can see which would strain any of these mid end phones now. As a comms device, skype, video hangouts, etc etc theres not much in it any more.
    I agree, I think we are reaching saturation point where you don't need the latest technology to fulfill almost all peoples needs

Ive got a Sony Z1 and backup Nexus 5

I really don't use my phone much as a phone in terms of traditional calling, it's more a small computer very focused on communications (mainly FB Whatsapp & Skype) and email for work. Other than that camera, music player, maps, navigation and web browsers are a must. Never got into the gaming thing, have never played Candy Crush or Angry Birds etc...................

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I really don't use my phone much as a phone in terms of traditional calling, it's more a small computer very focused on communications (mainly FB Whatsapp & Skype) and email for work.
    I started a policy a few months ago of simply having my phone on silent and filtering calls totally.. I call back if I am interested, often I dont.

Also.. whatsapp and skype ?? Both dead to me now, I keep them purely as legacy items for the odd person who wants to hit me up that way but almost everything has moved to google hangouts .. One app now does legacy SMS messages (parents !!) real time chats both single and in groups, and audio and video calls (again both single and in groups) and with skypeout legacy non voIP calling.

The same app is synced to my desktop and keeps records for me to search in gmail so I can track down that chat of a month ago and dig out a piece of info sent.. It also is totally cross platform, so can run a (just upgraded and much nicer) iOS version on my iPad or on my mums chromebook or on ubuntu. Lastly on mobile it has the handy feature of location pinning which sends a marker to google maps so if bike touring and we get separated its a super simple process to share current location and have google maps turn by turn someone to it or just instantly see where they are on a map in relation to you. Its one killer app thats really brought so many comms features into one umbrella. If google voice inbound was global and I could get an inbound google voice tel number (even in the UK) to do that neat voicemail to gmail function, it would cover even voice (I have used a free J2 digitial fax and voicemail for maybe 15 years now for my legacy fax reception) and old school calls would be saved too.

If you havent tried hangout, set it up with gmail, its superb. The video is much sharper than skype on the same bandwidth, you can clearly see how crappy my dads netbook webcam is v high end gear, and doing group conferences on a desktop is much much slicker, with google drive doc sharing and all kinds of neat abailites. Facebook just spent 19 billion on whatsapp, and as far as I can see its been totally eclipsed by google, theres nothing hangouts doesnt do better and its just a subset of hangouts power. 19 billion !!

Gmail and google accounts have so far eclipsed the competition I almost pity someone when I see them rocking a hotmail or yahoo account.. Its like "ahh how 2000"..
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 28th March 2014 at 10:28.

I started a policy a few months ago of simply having my phone on silent and filtering calls totally.. I call back if I am interested, often I dont.

Also.. whatsapp and skype ?? Both dead to me now, I keep them purely as legacy items for the odd person who wants to hit me up that way but almost everything has moved to google hangouts .. One app now does legacy SMS messages (parents !!) real time chats both single and in groups, and audio and video calls (again both single and in groups) and with skypeout legacy non voIP calling.

The same app is synced to my desktop and keeps records for me to search in gmail so I can track down that chat of a month ago and dig out a piece of info sent.. It also is totally cross platform, so can run a (just upgraded and much nicer) iOS version on my iPad or on my mums chromebook or on ubuntu. Lastly on mobile it has the handy feature of location pinning which sends a marker to google maps so if bike touring and we get separated its a super simple process to share current location and have google maps turn by turn someone to it or just instantly see where they are on a map in relation to you. Its one killer app thats really brought so many comms features into one umbrella. If google voice inbound was global and I could get an inbound google voice tel number (even in the UK) to do that neat voicemail to gmail function, it would cover even voice (I have used a free J2 digitial fax and voicemail for maybe 15 years now for my legacy fax reception) and old school calls would be saved too.

If you havent tried hangout, set it up with gmail, its superb. The video is much sharper than skype on the same bandwidth, you can clearly see how crappy my dads netbook webcam is v high end gear, and doing group conferences on a desktop is much much slicker, with google drive doc sharing and all kinds of neat abailites. Facebook just spent 19 billion on whatsapp, and as far as I can see its been totally eclipsed by google, theres nothing hangouts doesnt do better and its just a subset of hangouts power. 19 billion !!

Gmail and google accounts have so far eclipsed the competition I almost pity someone when I see them rocking a hotmail or yahoo account.. Its like "ahh how 2000"..
    I agree hangouts is very good but very few of my work or personal contact have adopted Google + and Hangouts

I think I will start with my office and get the company to try it individually and with group calls

I almost pity someone when I see them rocking a hotmail or yahoo account.. Its like "ahh how 2000"..
    A very good point ! I have no idea why I still bother with outlook...will have to make the swap over soon

I agree hangouts is very good but very few of my work or personal contact have adopted Google + and Hangouts
    Google plus has been a much slower adoption than I expected.. Theres loads I like more than facebook, but people just are not taking to it..

But google are going a stealth route.. Your google business listings are plus profiles, holding your map etc.. If you want to put a map point on google maps and get a biz listing on it goes.. So then it stealth does the tripadvisor and stealth works its way into use..

But hangouts just seem to work so much better than a bunch of other apps I was using for the same tasks.

Google plus has been a much slower adoption than I expected.. Theres loads I like more than facebook, but people just are not taking to it..

But google are going a stealth route.. Your google business listings are plus profiles, holding your map etc.. If you want to put a map point on google maps and get a biz listing on it goes.. So then it stealth does the tripadvisor and stealth works its way into use..

But hangouts just seem to work so much better than a bunch of other apps I was using for the same tasks.
    Going off topic a bit here

What will count for me / company work is Hangouts Group Calls (assume this can be done by creating circles) Will be interesting to test calls with say 10 participants in various parts of the world (our norm) and see how that works against a Skype Group call which is shockingly bad

I have only done 3 and one 4 way group but it worked loads better than skype.. The auto focus on the speaker is sort of natural.

This.

The only reason I would want to upgrade my Galaxy Nexus is for LTE and I'm not really doing anything on my phone that can justify the need for those kinds of speeds (and burn through my monthly data cap in about 20 seconds).
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Still actually on my Galaxy S II, and see no reason to upgrade from that even. Needed to test more touch capabilities though for development projects, so got the latest Asus Vivobook to emulate different resolutions. Still betting that cross-platform HTML5 / CSS3 programming will replace native code for business solutions, wrapped in pseudo-natives like Cordova. The big hurdle was the transition from iOS6 to iOS7, as iOS6 was lagging quite a bit. But that's now sorted.

Apps in the browser.. I can say I live 90% of my computing time in browser and with chrome apps now.. My mum has a chromebook which has been a great success.. The transition to cloud has made that trend very useful and liveable.

Would love to have a tinker with pixel high end cromebook.. Rave reviews but a big dollar pricetag for a limited use machine.

My HTC One is still as fast as the day I got it, and a brilliant phone does everything I need it to. For my LOS trip i had an unlocked HTC Sensation XE, not sure how much older it was. But it pissed me off... I only used main apps such as whatsapp,LINE and Facebook but it was just so slow at loading them and if i had a few messages coming in at the same time i would have to be very slow with it.

Checked out the S5 today. Nice little upgrade from my 4 yr old LG...55 Feels good in the hand and the picture is fantastic...when to pull the trigger?

I got the S5 mini.

Now I have it, it feels too big... 55

Agree that we've reached the point where it's enough, I "upgraded" my S3 to a Note3

Just needed a bigger screen for my use, otherwise the S3 had all I really need in terms of use and speed.

I'm getting rid of my S5 ASAP!!!!

The Samsung touchwiz software kills the speed of the phone. Camera app takes for ever to open, likewise so does photo album.......plus 5 seconds to open. Shouldnt be happening this phone has the most powerful processor in an android phone

I'm going to switch to either a Sony Xperia Z3 or Motorala Moto X or new Nexus 6

I'm getting rid of my S5 ASAP!!!!

The Samsung touchwiz software kills the speed of the phone. Camera app takes for ever to open, likewise so does photo album.......plus 5 seconds to open. Shouldnt be happening this phone has the most powerful processor in an android phone

I'm going to switch to either a Sony Xperia Z3 or Motorala Moto X or new Nexus 6
    I havent had a need for it.. But I noticed this the other day.. Might help you..

How Google Just Reinvented Android And Why Nobody Noticed - Forbes

If your interested in rooting theres loads of ROMs the S5 could use

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast