Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Your working times?

Your working times?

i am sitting here on a boring friday afternoon waiting the clock to reach 5pm. not much going on at the moment but the phone lines have to be attended till 5.

so i was wondering what are your working times? i am sure as we all come from different job-backgrounds lots of different schedules are around.

i work mon-fri from 8pm - 5pm with a lunch break of around 40mins.
    Money can't buy love but it can rent a pretty close imitation.

I work from 9am til 3am (17 hours) 7 days a week for 6 months.......then I do fuck all in the next 6 months 555
    PadMC likes this.

Either 7am-4pm or 11am-8pm and work every third weekend with a couple of days off in the week to compensate. All in about 50 hours a week I guess.

Monday to Friday, 7 to 3, 30 min lunch. Not fixed time as such, I could switch it around if I wanted too. May choose to do so, as I work with our headquarters in Paris, and they are more 9 to late.

I'm just home from another 5am start. Any time between 5 and 6am I'm in the car during the week. I like to try and be home before 5pm but often it's more like 7pm. I try not to work weekends but probably end up doing 1 or 2 out of 4 each month.

Evenings are mostly spent in the office at home so still working until 10pm some nights. Hard yards at the minute but very glad to be busy. If we get slack in the middle of the month though I'm quite happy to take the odd day off and play golf

I work at home on my laptop...when i am in "design mode" i am often awake all night or until i get it to a stage where i feel i can leave it and get some sleep...fortunately I am semi-retired and only take on the projects I want or are self instigated these days

I guess on average over a week I'd work about 15-20 hours...a lot of the time that is nil but sometimes it is more like 60

I use to work 12-14 hours/day 5 days/week and the occasional 1/2 day on sat...fairly physical and mentally demanding job.

Very flexible for my part, sitting in Thailand and working for European companies. The time difference has advantages that I can sometimes start in the morning and have code ready when they get to work around 3 PM. But also don't mind going to the beach or something during the day at times and then work until midnight. Very important to set boundaries though.

i work from 6am to 1pm, so a lot different hours than most
    i work NYC hours on the west coast
    i sometimes come in at 5:30am but that is not much at all
    i also only have an 8min walk to work
    so a pretty good lifestyle

i do go into the office on some weeknights and weekends to do research for new customers but that is on my own accord
    i usually do a big push on the prospect search for 2 weeks every few months
    Last edited by marc26; 31st May 2013 at 21:50.

Business Travel

One thing is that people have misconceptions that i am almost on a holiday when i travel for business( my wife does!)
    but it is actually pretty full schedule

yes, i get to go to great destinations, and stay in nice hotels, play great golf courses, great dinners

butmy schedule for my NYC trip next month is grueling

in 6 days i have to stop in at about 15 existing accounts, plus have appointments with 10-12 potential customers
    3 appointments per day in NYC is ideal, 4 is pushing it with traffic, getting around
    then out every night entertaining
    the saving grace is that people just don't go out as big as we used to
    so i am only out until 8-9pm each night

but it is pretty exhausting

Mon-Fri start working from 5.30 in the morning till 6-7 evening. Saterday half day every 2 saterdays. After those hours my supposed free time starts involving bringing my 2 kids to the either swimclub (both) violin (1) hiphop lessons (1) art academy (1). Sundays its either swimcompetition for one (all day) or zumba in the morning for the other. Afternoon mostly spend watching the local footballclub and having some beers.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Typically in the office 8-5 Monday thru Friday but do lots of work outside the office in the evenings and sometimes on weekends. I do quite a bit of overnight travel as well, and when I'm traveling I typically work much longer hours.

Standard 8am - 4pm, 5 days a week. But vary depending on whats on and if anythings broken down, on call most weekends. On call tonight from 10pm-6am.

Working for the Government has its advantages with the offer of 'Flexible Working'. I work Monday to Friday and have to get my 37 hours in during a week. I have no set time when I have to be in work or when I can go home, but normally I do settle to a routine of 9.00 - 5.00 which suits my lifestyle. But having that 'flexible' options allows me to turn into work at 2.00pm if I've had a heavy night on the beer previous night!!
    Its a pint of bitter a gin and tonic and a baileys, I call them uhhh....ladyboys!! สจวร์ต

I work in a hospital so my hours vary a lot depending on scheduled operations , emergencies and organ transplants. My basic shifts are 7.5 hours , 5 days per week but 14 hour stints are not uncommon and night/weekend on-call commitments mean I can work 24 hours non stop.

Quiet week with no extra cover = 37.5 hours

Busy week with late finishes and weekend on-call = between 90-100 hours.

7 30am - 5pm 5 days a week, outside, whatever the weather. No weekends for me anymore but 20 years ago I worked for 2 years with just i day off a month. Helped the bank balance but nearly killed me. Retirement beckons next year and I will walk away, never ever to return.
    slampay likes this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltis View Post
    i am sitting here on a boring friday afternoon waiting the clock to reach 5pm. not much going on at the moment but the phone lines have to be attended till 5.

so i was wondering what are your working times? i am sure as we all come from different job-backgrounds lots of different schedules are around.

i work mon-fri from 8pm - 5pm with a lunch break of around 40mins.
    Flexible.... well in theory. I work 8am till 4pm, I get paid for 7.5 hours per day. What extra I take in lunch I ensure is put back in work time. I officially have "flexi-time" for 7.5 hours between 7 am and 6 pm but in reality I have duties that have to be completed before 8:30 AM so it's 8 til 4 with a half hour lunch.

I'm working for 3 hours tomorrow. Contractor at award rates so I get paid 20% above full time employees and 1.5 to 2 times my hourly rate... still sucks working on a Saturday.

12 hours a day ,7 days a week,so 3 weeks well earned off
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Interesting to know then, regardless of your current working times, what would you prefer if you had a choice? Can see advantages with 9 - 5, flexible week hours and shift work.

Problem with having too much flexi-time is that you never really get off work. Have friends back home who quit IT altogether and started shift work on oil platforms. Abundance of benefits and clearer boundaries between work and leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    12 hours a day ,7 days a week,so 3 weeks well earned off
    3 weeks on and 3 weeks off Petter? I could get to like some of that 5555
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast