Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Muslims and dogs

Muslims and dogs

Living in Vancouver and being in such a diverse city, i have tried to be very open minded
    And people will jump to the fact they have great Muslim friends but i am becoming more and more convinced the majority of them are just assholes!
    sorry

80% of my interactions with them are just downright unpleasant

My building allows dogs and i am very cognizant that i have a big dog. Not everyone is a dog lover and some are downright fearful of them.
    So, especially when I am waiting for the elevator, I will always ask if ok to bring the dog into the elevator or if i notice some apprehension i just hang back and wait for the next one.
    But these fcuking Muslims are just nasty assholes about it!. I will be waiting for the elevator, 1st alone, and they will come after and start saying "no dog in elevator"
    and just the way they go about it
    Even walking down the street you see these miserable bastards make a big show of running away from what the dog when he isn't even near their space
    Again, i am very aware not everyone else is a dog lover but they way they go about it is just rude.
    And if they are doing this all in supposed "beliefs" which i have read many conflicting articles on Muslims and dogs, how about they bend to the way of life in our countries!

Last night i finally told this one asshole to fcuk off and stop being a pussy. I have appeased him on many occasions, i was waiting on my floor and the door opened, i didn't even make a move to go into the elevator and he starts with his crap. So i just lost it on them
    I am sick of these fcuking assholes

rant over, call me racist all you want. the 20% of Muslims i actually have a halfway pleasant interaction with are ok, the other 80% miserable fcuks can fcuk off
    Masterwoodsman and dan boy like this.

K2
    The Quran mentions dogs twice, including the permission to eat meat that has been carried by hunting dogs. In another verse, a group of "believers" and their dog escape their persecutors by hiding in a cave, where they fall asleep. "And their dog stretched his forelegs across the threshold," the verse finishes.

"This tender description of the dog guarding the cave makes it clear that the animal is good company for believers," Ingrid Mattson, chair of the Islamic studies program at Huron University College, wrote last December in a column for The Huffington Post.

While many Muslims believe scripture approves canine companions, many also believe scripture discourages Muslims from keeping dogs in their homes. This belief is partly based on the Quranic verse describing the dog at the threshold of the cave, as well as a story in which the angel Gabriel breaks a rendezvous with the Prophet Muhammad because a puppy had wandered into Muhammad's home.

"We angels do not enter a home in which there is a dog or a picture," Gabriel tells the prophet.

There are also a few hadith, or sayings attributed to Muhammad, that are hostile toward dogs, including a couple in which he orders the killings of dogs. But Islamic scholars and other Muslims say that many hadith are fabricated or hard to verify, including those about dogs. And because these hadith contradict the apparent divine sanction for dogs in the Quran, these stories should not be trusted.
    Islam On Dogs: Can You Be A Good Muslim And Still Have A Dog?
    Its My Life .....!

yeah, i did a good amount research and very conflicting stories if it is a belief thing
    and like i said, i am happy to oblige people who don't want some hairy big dog riding the elevator with them. totally understand and actually agree with them
    it is just how they go about it

but i could also get into the fact that even if it was part of their beliefs, they are in our country now that is a very much "dog as pets society" so no reason their beliefs should take higher order over our lifestyle

well, my asking permission scored point with probably the hottest girl in my building. some gorgeous Persian girl who asked me if i ask everyone if they mind the dog in elevator. she was quite impressed
    she has the ass of the century! 555

K2
    Doing your bit for cross-cultural relationships. 555

Thing is in Islam - because its rule based - once the doctrine (wheather or not its some misinterpretation of the Quran or not) has been installed - then having the flexibility (or tolerance) to accept any one elses differeing views/ideology (even within Islam - just look at how the Sunni's and Sh'ites go at each other) difficult to respect.

Perhaps thats why the introduction of citizenship courses for new immigrants in the UK, Aus etc before residency is granted does makes sense. A secular society with freedom of expression, religion (and owning dog) is a complete anathema to many Muslims.
    Its My Life .....!

I guess the boot is on the other foot for me. I live in a predominately muslim area and it is up to me to adapt to their way of thinking.

On the dog thing my next door farang neighbour got a dog and I was outside the house chatting with my landlady when the puppy came sniffing around. I started to pet it but she jumped up on her motorbike with her feet up "we are not allowed to touch them" she said. When I asked why her answer was "we are just not allowed". It is ingrained and they simply do not question what they are told.

I try to do my bit in cross cultural relations by driving around the village with the windows down playing really loud rock music. The message is hey look people if you are going to shatter the peace at least make it sound good rather than that wailey man stuff you belt out. Not sure if I can win this one.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    I guess the boot is on the other foot for me. I live in a predominately muslim area and it is up to me to adapt to their way of thinking.

On the dog thing my next door farang neighbour got a dog and I was outside the house chatting with my landlady when the puppy came sniffing around. I started to pet it but she jumped up on her motorbike with her feet up "we are not allowed to touch them" she said. When I asked why her answer was "we are just not allowed". It is ingrained and they simply do not question what they are told.

I try to do my bit in cross cultural relations by driving around the village with the windows down playing really loud rock music. The message is hey look people if you are going to shatter the peace at least make it sound good rather than that wailey man stuff you belt out. Not sure if I can win this one.
    i honestly think i am pretty open minded
    i just see no give on their part at all, in most cases

they want society to bend to them
    look in Saudi Arabia and Dubai and such. They want the foreigners that live there to abide by their beliefs and adapt to them but they don't even try to do the same when they come to western countries

I don't live in a Muslim community like you guys do in Kamala, so i don't experience it everyday, but i find the call to prayers quite relaxing
    again, i've only been exposed to the wailing on a limited basis

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    and if that is their belief i would grudgingly accept it
    but today for example
    i was waiting at the elevator 1st with my dog, no one else there yet
    a Muslim lady came in covered head to toe
    the door opened and i clearly stated she could go ahead and i would wait for the next one
    the whole time she is walking in the elevator, and as she is in the elevator and i made no movement to go into the elevator she is saying in perfect english, "no dog in now" a few times

that is what gets me riled up

but lost in my rant, was i was wondering if anyone had concrete info on their aversion to dogs, but i guess it is all over the map

I have no tolerance for intolerant people. Fuck em.

Let em go back to their tents in the desert if they can't play well with others.
    Loop likes this.

A few years ago my Muslim landlord stated very clearly that she did not like dogs, and wanted either me out or the dog. I recalled at the time reading something about dogs being allowed for protection, and as we had a few break-ins, she more or less accepted. But she also wanted the dog to stay only outside. After I proposed a fairly modest rent increase though, she grudgingly accepted. Every principle has a price tag attached I guess.

Regarding Muslims and tolerance in general I don’t think it can be traced directly back to the scripture. Back in the “golden age” around the turn of the millennium, Islam was far superior to European Christians both in terms of science and tolerance. Look to cities like Damascus and Cordoba etc. where scientific achievements took place in a tolerant and cosmopolitan intellectual atmosphere. Then something went terribly awry.

Especially after the Mongols, Muslims mostly reverted to tribalism, very generally speaking of course. In essence Islam was hijacked by fundamentalist Mullahs, and became mostly introverted and intolerant towards other cultures and religions. So problem with Islam is that it has neither had its Renaissance, its Reformation nor its era of Enlightenment. Pretty much still stuck in a medieval quagmire sad to say. But we managed to get out of it so its not hopeless...
    K2, Dkdude and WarProfiteer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    A few years ago my Muslim landlord stated very clearly that she did not like dogs, and wanted either me out or the dog. I recalled at the time reading something about dogs being allowed for protection, and as we had a few break-ins, she more or less accepted. But she also wanted the dog to stay only outside. After I proposed a fairly modest rent increase though, she grudgingly accepted. Every principle has a price tag attached I guess.

Regarding Muslims and tolerance in general I don’t think it can be traced directly back to the scripture. Back in the “golden age” around the turn of the millennium, Islam was far superior to European Christians both in terms of science and tolerance. Look to cities like Damascus and Cordoba etc. where scientific achievements took place in a tolerant and cosmopolitan intellectual atmosphere. Then something went terribly awry.

Especially after the Mongols, Muslims mostly reverted to tribalism, very generally speaking of course. In essence Islam was hijacked by fundamentalist Mullahs, and became mostly introverted and intolerant towards other cultures and religions. So problem with Islam is that it has neither had its Renaissance, its Reformation nor its era of Enlightenment. Pretty much still stuck in a medieval quagmire sad to say. But we managed to get out of it so its not hopeless...
    if you have any recommendations on books about any of that, i'd love to read up on it
    it can be frustrating but sort of fascinates me at the same time
    i've read a few books on the tribal aspect

Ok Paul, I can feel your level of frustration. You want to really piss them off??

Feck em'.....get a pet pig!55
    Geespot and Loop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Let me think.........What should we call the pet pig -

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    Let me think.........What should we call the pet pig -
    Sit! Mohammed, Sit!
    Last edited by slampay; 1st June 2013 at 15:23.

Sit! Mohammed, Sit!
    I like Hal better, middle name Al.............

Ok Paul, I can feel your level of frustration. You want to really piss them off??

Classic, would love to see the reaction this would cause

Photo of the Persian chick, please Paul.
    Cheers, Rob.

I know what I'd do if I was muslim - I'd light a cigarette up in the elevator!!!5555
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

In general Muslims and dogs don't go together. Whether it is the Koran, or whether it is just cultural I don't know. However, in my experience, I have interacted with many Muslims over the years; have got on well with some, and not well with others..... just like anyone really. I even lived with one for several years. She was quite fond of dogs, as are a few others I have known.

There is a grumpy old Muslim man who lives near me, who has an equally unpleasant dog. I got him (the dog) a good one with a rock the other day when he chased me, so I hope he doesn't bother me again. Their neighbours were happy to see it, but the old boy didn't look best pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Photo of the Persian chick, please Paul.
    i will, although i think her bf was on some UK fighting team( hence her fit ass!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I know what I'd do if I was muslim - I'd light a cigarette up in the elevator!!!5555
    but they'd be breaking the rules of the building and the law!
    not so bringing a dog into an elevator

but i see your point and i do think dog ownership and cigarette smokers fall into the same type of category that you should be aware of other people around you that may not be favorable to either

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast