Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I did something

I did something

Yesterday I did something I've said I'll never do. My Mrs is back after 3 weeks in the village. She was doing well and spent less than 20K.
    Anyway, she was telling me that her uncle was asking for a loan (14K) as he is not able to pay for her daughters university fees. This guy have never asked for anything before as he know we are not sending money to extended family (well not even Joys parents except for health insurance).
    I told Joy that it's not going to happen and she accepted that, but I saw she wasn't happy about it..........Then I was thinking about it for a few days and I agreed on doing it as a test. It's only going to happen this 1 time unless we actually get the money back.
    At the same time it's hard to deny this clever kid education and it was actually a good feeling lending them the money.
    I've written the money off, but maybe I will get a pleasant surprise in a few months time...............

It's not like it's a lot of money, it's just something I normally wouldn't do. Then at the same time it's Joys money too, and we both worked hard for it.

Maybe I'm getting soft these days 5555

K2
    Best you get Joy to come back ASAP before the rest of the village (& Isaan) find out theres a new sub-sub prime lender in town!
    Its My Life .....!

i have a sick sheep and cannot afford the vets bill,all i need is 20k baht can you help? i would be so grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    i have a sick sheep and cannot afford the vets bill,all i need is 20k baht can you help? i would be so grateful.
    In your case that would be more of a family emergency, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    Surprised your family health insurance doesn't cover that!

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    Doh!!! ...

^^^ was it loan or a gift?

Sometimes I give my wifes uncle money. He raised her after her parents died. He never asked us for money but through family we finded out he was in need of it. So far in the 15 years I know him he has only got 5000 bath.
    At the moment I also pay the education of my wifes sister kid. Actually I almost paid for whole his life. The intention was to adopt him and bring him overhere but I dont have the place nor the time to work out all the paperwork. So the best option was to keep in him school there and hoping he makes something of his life, not like his stepbrother who has a subscription for jail.
    Last edited by beuk; 1st June 2013 at 15:38.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Nothing wrong with helping out. If you can afford it and it gives a kid a better chance of a decent education or keeps a guy in work then it's a decent thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Best you get Joy to come back ASAP before the rest of the village (& Isaan) find out theres a new sub-sub prime lender in town!
    This was after she got back......

In my case this is the 2nd year on the university for the kid. The mother is working hard making 10ish K a month and the father is taking care of the farm. How much LaoKao or gambling involved, I dont know. I was fooled once by an Aussie guy in Phuket for 30K, so I guess I should give the Thais a chance as well 555
    It's the first money question in the 7 years I've been with my wife so I can live with it.....

She do trust this family, it's just me being negative to Thais or to lending out money in general...................And it is sort of her money to, so fair enough. I would rather put the money back into our business, but then again 14K is not life changing for us.........it might be for the kid in university

Mate, every so often it does not hurt to help someone else, even though you don't shite about anything!!!!.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    He's Welsh, not Kiwi.
    Cheers, Rob.

Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to go to a typical Thai university? Likewise, how much is a local school per year, or even an international school?

K2
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to go to a typical Thai university? Likewise, how much is a local school per year, or even an international school?
    14K for uni in Isaan may not be the full amount - I'd guess the bottom end would be 50k+/year up to the top end being 500k+ per year. [Add on top the whopping 'entry fee tea money' and what ever 'extras' that are needed and the costs balloon pretty quickly.

For schooling - local school 10k per year or less up to top end international schools who's fees top 1.5 mil per year.
    Its My Life .....!

would have to agree with dodge....if it was the difference between the niece dropping out of Uni or being able to continue for another term it was the right thing to do IMO (if one can afford it)...we do get caught up here too much with the idea that Thais are always trying to rip us off when in fact we would do the very same thing (help out) with our families in our own country

I paid for the wifes cousin and his uni study. 5000b/month for rent and books, and schoolfees 15000 every 6 month. Did that for 2,5 years...

His father died, and if i havent stepped in, he would have had to quit and start work at the farm. Now he has finished a technical degree, and has a job that pays 20000/month...
    He now helps another cousin with money for her study......

i'v lent money and have been burned a few times and although i got my money back it was a long time waiting, so i don't lend to those people

the only person in my wife's family who paid me back on time was her brother
    he has a good job installing/fixing doors. travels all around Thailand......makes about 20k/mo

he was getting married over NY break and for some reason, his company didn't give a bonus that year
    so he asked to borrow 20k and would pay it back in 2 instalments
    1st one, right on time.....2nd one he called a week before due and said he'd send and i told my wife to tell him that was our wedding present and to keep it

what about this scenario?

i think it is a tough one

my wife's Aunt was the big money winner in the family. ( married a foolish much older guy)
    and she has been absolutely generous with everyone in the family, including my wife
    but since she divorced the farang, she has pissed all her money away
    and whenever she has gotten a couple lump sums from share of condo sale, divorce settlement.......2mil will be gone in 6months in gambling and stupid village crap

so she is now constantly asking Ao to borrow money and Ao works damn hard for her money
    so it sort of dilemma. the aunt was very generous with my wife, but she will only piss the money away on gambling and crap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast