Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Will Russian and China go to war with the West over Syria and Iran?

Will Russian and China go to war with the West over Syria and Iran?

I have been reading recently that Russia and China are ready to go to war with the West and Israel over Syria, just wondering what other people thoughts are on this?

Russia Ready For War, Orders Thousands Of Troops To Border

Russia Plans War To Defend Syria And Iran?

K2
    I give that <1% probability - Syria is strategically importnat to the West and Russia (China far less so) but got little by way of natural resources worth plundering during/after a war - that that rules the US out and Europe is bankrupt and cant afford a protracted war. Poor Syrians are stuck with a long grinding war of attrition - really cant see that removing Assad would bring any better a government anyway - pretty certain that a post Assad Syria would be much more Islamist than what they have now (cf all the Arab Spring countries, Iran and Iraq).
    Geespot likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

I think Kev is mostly right there, I hope so. The wild card would be Israel I guess, they could provoke a reaction with any more air strikes and Russian attacks on Israel don't bear thinking about.

I do hope our politicians are not dumb enough to get involved. It's a shame for Syria but the government in waiting looks every bit as bad as Assad. No good will come of European involvement in regime change there.

there is little oil in syria,its a distabalised state i think the arab states should help out,only thing is the counter government forces are the wrong form of islam but iran still supports the old government

I think due to political correctness and some weird sense that the Arab Spring is something other than a militant Muslim terrorist group attacking and taking countries by force in an attempt to achieve world domination, Syria has probably been painted as something other than what it is - or was.
    Syria has been much better governed and the people have had a better quality of life under Assad than they ever have before. Egypt would be another glaring case in point of a country succumbing to terrorists and the rest of the world cheering them on - an extraordinary vision of our potential future surrender perhaps?

IMO this is just another Islamic invasion by the Arab Spring...only this time they've struck someone who's not willing to roll over so they are using their best weapon (propaganda) against our greatest weakness (Political Correctness and Civil Liberties) and they are possibly going to win - again.

It is virtually identical to all of their other terrorist takeovers during their unbelievable run so far - including Mali....absolutely no difference - other than Mali was French and they know exactly what the Arab Spring are....and acted accordingly. Surprisingly Assad is doing the same and is being vilified world over for it?

Quite strange really. We are enabling our own potential destruction....

I think an Assad victory is a significant step in the right direction.

A quick historical timeline on Syria showing exactly how despicable Assad's "regime" has been Timeline: Syria and the Assads - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Last edited by Homer; 2nd June 2013 at 05:58.

what does israel want to happen,assad or the rebels,are they being armed from turkey(the rebels) and therefor the CIA

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I give that <1% probability - Syria is strategically importnat to the West and Russia (China far less so) but got little by way of natural resources worth plundering during/after a war - that that rules the US out and Europe is bankrupt and cant afford a protracted war. Poor Syrians are stuck with a long grinding war of attrition - really cant see that removing Assad would bring any better a government anyway - pretty certain that a post Assad Syria would be much more Islamist than what they have now (cf all the Arab Spring countries, Iran and Iraq).
    Well yes hope so as the last thing anyone needs now is MORE conflict - especially with countries like that ! but just seems that the Russians so seem hellbent on equipping them some heavy firepower which would probably not help the situation and also be a threat to Israel.

Also as regards UK and France they seem to be wanting to arm the Sunni muslims side of the war which if i am not wrong is basically indirectly arming Al Qaeda !!
    Last edited by davis121; 2nd June 2013 at 07:43.

Lets just hope the republicans don't get what they want 555 and there will be no war

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
    I have been reading recently that Russia and China are ready to go to war with the West and Israel over Syria, just wondering what other people thoughts are on this?

Russia Ready For War, Orders Thousands Of Troops To Border

Russia Plans War To Defend Syria And Iran?
    Agree with K2.

Have a read here regarding your source > Sorcha Faal - RationalWiki
    Cheers, Rob.

If so, you guys got our back. Right?.....hello.....

Russia? 55 They've been broke since 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Russia? 55 They've been broke since 1935.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Agree with K2.

Have a read here regarding your source > Sorcha Faal - RationalWiki
    Lol yes definitely conspiracy theorists! but there does stilll seem to be a big issue with Russia as regards arming the Syrians and shielding them from UN sanctions etc.. and going against the West. Also by arming them with these missiles and Mig jet fighters and Israel saying they will shoot them down etc. it still shows that the situation is very uncertain IMO
    Last edited by davis121; 2nd June 2013 at 15:51.

Russia and Syria are old friends >

Russia has interests in Syria to protect:
    • Arms industry: War is good for business. In 2011, Russia’s weapons industry exported around $1 billion worth of arms to Syria, and there are some $4 billion in outstanding contracts. Reuters has reported an increase in shipments of small armssince the beginning of the uprising.
    • Trade ties: Other Russian businessmen have plenty to lose in Syria. As Syria’s manufacturing sector crumbles under the weight of sanctions (and years of mismanagement), the regime depends on imports of petroleum products, grains, electrical equipment and other Russian goods. In fact, trade between Syrian and Russia shot up by 58% to $1.97 billion in 2011, according to Russian sources.
    • Tartous port: The most tangible prize Moscow gets from this relationship is access to a naval base in Syria’s port city of Tartous, Russia’s only navy outpost in the Mediterranean. Cooperation goes back to 1971, and in 2008 Tartous was converted into a permanent Russian base, with ambitious plans for modernization of facilities.
    Full story here > Why does Russia support the Syrian regime
    Cheers, Rob.

The Middle East is a total basket case atm.

Over 1000 killed in Iraq in May alone. More than 1,000 killed in Iraq violence in May | Reuters

Hezbollah and the Syrian rebels are now going at it too in Lebanon and Syria. Israel making threats that "it will know what to do" if Russia sends arms and missile defense systems to Assad . (Israel would be worried it wouldn't be able to attack with impunity if that happened). The EU recently lifting an arms embargo against the rebels and a lot of talk about arming them. The rhetoric is being stepped up and all the while we're not hearing much about Iran.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/...ire-than-iraq/
    Last edited by PadMC; 2nd June 2013 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    If so, you guys got our back. Right?.....hello.....
    Just don't go there - the MIC guys are rich enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Russia? 55 They've been broke since 1945.
    That's why they can afford sqillions to buy soccer teams?

What do they teach you guys in school - or is it a Cali thing? 555!

Btw the funniest thing I've read recently was the comment during the Gun Control debate that " We need our guns to defend ourselves against North Korea" ! FFS.

Now repeat after me - there is very little oil in Syria.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 3rd June 2013 at 12:03.

^Wars cost $100s of billions mister. That's big math...

^^ they would probably attack Australia first, as a way to bring us in...................

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    ^^ they would probably attack Australia first, as a way to bring us in...................

Seeing as we've been in every war with you guys (except the War of Independence) and we host many crucial spy and operational bases for you we could be at risk (if Syria had ICBMs or a long-range airforce) 555!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast