Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: NYT article on Thailand's schools

NYT article on Thailand's schools

pretty decent article on how they teach in Thai schools and challenges to that way of teaching

in Samut Prakan also, my wife's hood
    seems to be tons of schools there, for some reason

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/wo...ion.html?_r=1&

i agree on the discipline front
    my frigging nephews go to school in gym shorts and t-shirts! look horrible
    but i think part of the story was that they are not encouraged to give opinions and think freely

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i agree on the discipline front
    my frigging nephews go to school in gym shorts and t-shirts! look horrible
    but i think part of the story was that they are not encouraged to give opinions and think freely
    I've learned to compitulate with my boys clothes, it took awhile..
    Their grades are what they wear in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    I've learned to compitulate with my boys clothes, it took awhile..
    Their grades are what they wear in my mind.
    but i think it follows you into life
    if you grow up wearing shorts and sneakers to school, i don't think you really learn to dress appropiately in situations that deserve
    i see it carry over to these kids thinking it is ok to wear sweatpants to a family function or anywhere
    they know if i am around i won't let them get into the car dressed like bums
    unfortunately, their mom shows no discipline towards them

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    but i think it follows you into life
    if you grow up wearing shorts and sneakers to school, i don't think you really learn to dress appropiately in situations that deserve
    i see it carry over to these kids thinking it is ok to wear sweatpants to a family function or anywhere
    they know if i am around i won't let them get into the car dressed like bums
    unfortunately, their mom shows no discipline towards them
    Almost surprisingly, I've found that my boys dress quite well for their jobs. Ties and slacks, and they look great! Maybe that's something that they WERE paying attention too.!!55

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Almost surprisingly, I've found that my boys dress quite well for their jobs. Ties and slacks, and they look great! Maybe that's something that they WERE paying attention too.!!55
    my mom dressed my impeccable when i was younger
    actually, i don't think i wore jeans to school until i was in high school
    slacks and shoes
    and i think that helped me carry over into life and made me appreciate dressing well and cognizant of when i should dress well

If you work in an office and by phone and computer - why is it an advantage to wear a suit & tie?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    If you work in an office and by phone and computer - why is it an advantage to wear a suit & tie?
    who said that?
    i wear jeans to work everyday because that is what our dress code is because we don't see clients
    the brokers wear suit and ties because clients visit their floors

but even wearing jeans because the dress code allows needs to have a certain level of appearance

we also wear shorts sometimes in the summer even though it is not really part of the dress code
    but i think you have to be careful
    when i wear shorts, i wear smart type "dress" shorts with a nice polo and loafers to work. it looks nice and no thinks twice about it
    but the younger guy that works for me came in with board type shorts, Vans sneakers and a t-shirt and that just looks sloppy and may in turn make someone in the higher up office take notice and not allow us the luxury of wearing shorts in the summer
    Last edited by marc26; 4th June 2013 at 21:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    oops I missed that, where did he say it was an advantage to wear a shirt and tie?

i think that helped me carry over into life and made me appreciate dressing well and cognizant of when i should dress well

I read the above, which said something different to me, it tells me Paul felt from his mothers dress code he learned when it was right to wear a shirt and tie and when it was okay to turn up like an Aussie Bogan!!!!55555

Don't need sleeves, too hot, looks like my grandads vest, but its Aussie cool bro!!!, add the corks to my dads beaten up old hat, there sorted, smart to go!!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    oops I missed that, where did he say it was an advantage to wear a shirt and tie?

i think that helped me carry over into life and made me appreciate dressing well and cognizant of when i should dress well

I read the above, which said something different to me, it tells me Paul felt from his mothers dress code he learned when it was right to wear a shirt and tie and when it was okay to turn up like an Aussie Bogan!!!!55555

Don't need sleeves, too hot, looks like my grandads vest, but its Aussie cool bro!!!, add the corks to my dads beaten up old hat, there sorted, smart to go!!!
    i like that you supported my point and made it more clear
    and made fun of the Aussies at the same time 555

but really that is what i meant
    if you don't instill a sense of dress in your kids, they MAY not learn how to dress properly in the future
    doesn't mean you need to be overdressed all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    There definitely is some truth in this. I still can't properly knot a tie. There is no uniform dresscode in German schools.

Pretty sure that every kid who had to wear uniforms and ties at school, can do that in their adult life later.

Not that greatly important, I get away with it, but just one small example ...
    To me, it is about placing importance or significance on events/obligations

School- Even if there is no dress code, i think parents should insist that their kids dress nicer than wearing the same stuff they go to play basketball in. By making them dress a bit more appropiate it tells the kids that school is something to take serious, not just a place to go hang out with your friends. By wearing gym shorts, sneakers, t-shirts, there is no seperation from the playground

Family holidays- by telling your kids they need to wear something a bit nicer to a family holiday, you are showing them they should show a bit more respect to their grandmother, their aunts/uncles than what they do to their friends hanging out in the park. It also adds significance to the event, so places that thought that a holiday with family is a special occasion and merits the respect of dressing appropiate for it

Going out to dinner-Not only does it make the family look more respectable, it gives the kids a sense that sitting down with your family is a special occasion, something to be honored on

I am not saying kids need to be dressed in tuxedos, but i do think they need a sense of dress code instilled in them
    Geespot likes this.

^And Family Events typically have photo shoots. So if you dress like a douche bag it will be remembered for decades..55

Our office building just got invaded by scores of Mobile Banking App Coders. These kids are showing up in flip flops, board shorts and Motley Crew T Shirts. Calfornia does have a more dress down culture compared to the East Coast. I think they invented Casual Fridays..55