Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: End of the age of the gun..

Waharoa likes this.

Will this affect our ability to arm bears?
    obes and Waharoa like this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Will this affect our ability to arm bears?
    This one is doing fine with drones.

ub2yoo likes this.

What we need next is personal anti-drone missile's. (concealable, of course)
    tnlawyer, slampay and soupdragon like this.

My guess is that we'll soon see anti-drone technology. My guess is, the drones have to run off a signal, so that'll be what's attacked... either that or the electronics (directed EMP).

It may get to point where everyone has personal drones first. You know, instead of going to the market yourself, you send the drone. Or to take the dog for a walk, ya send the drone. Then the next step will be drone hacking. I cant wait for the day when the headline reads "Paris Hilton's personal drone hacked; sent on errand to Siberia".

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    My guess is that we'll soon see anti-drone technology. My guess is, the drones have to run off a signal, so that'll be what's attacked... either that or the electronics (directed EMP).
    No pilot, no remote control, no radar signature.

I hadnt really ever given thought tho to how the gun changed the established order of feudal lords and knights / samurai type enforcers controlling peasants.. Sort of ending the middle ages..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I hadnt really ever given thought tho to how the gun changed the established order of feudal lords and knights / samurai type enforcers controlling peasants.. Sort of ending the middle ages..
    Ever since reading Mark Twain's "A Yankee in King Arthurs Court" as a teenager I wondered
    how I would have changed history if could take my .22 rifle and a few thousand rounds of ammo back to around the 11th or 12th centuries

I hadn't either.
    There are so many problems with guns in so many country's that I'd never really thought about how they had actually achieved possibly positive changes to our world since their invention.
    This made me think what recourse we would have at our disposal if drones or their similes actually could be deployed regularly against humanity in the name of democracy or good....we know how good works right?

Under the most extreme circumstances, if you have little or no ability to band together and fight back then maybe we may be letting slip something that has kept our society in check for the last 200 or so years...

While this is a cheap prototype along with some advances that are open to public scrutiny...the owner of the technology has to be of concern to some surely?

Watch until 1:30 fuck me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj83dL72cvg

We accept we are the good guys, we accept they make advances for the betterment of mankind, but look at some of these dogs..they are no longer 2 stroke prototypes..they are silent and bigger and better,

I don't like where we are going...
    Last edited by Homer; 15th March 2014 at 18:50. Reason: cant post a link due to to brain damage.
    Waharoa likes this.

But Homer... what would someone 200 years ago have made of cars, motorbikes, planes and space rockets? The work of Satan?

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    But Homer... what would someone 200 years ago have made of cars, motorbikes, planes and space rockets? The work of Satan?
    How many millions did those technologies wipe out in 2 world wars though?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein
    Waharoa likes this.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Ever since reading Mark Twain's "A Yankee in King Arthurs Court" as a teenager I wondered
    how I would have changed history if could take my .22 rifle and a few thousand rounds of ammo back to around the 11th or 12th centuries
    A single rifle?

Not much, you'll probably get stabbed or die of cholera before you've had a chance to use it.

What would be extremely dangerous is the knowledge to make a simple revolver or breach loading gun.

BEsides that, a .22 isn't a particularly powerful round... you'd just have the wounded coming after you.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Surprised the American Indian too..

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Surprised the American Indian too..
    That and the smallpox blankets..

Tho that makes a much less inspiring version of "how the west was won"..

That and the smallpox blankets..

Tho that makes a much less inspiring version of "how the west was won"..
    Well it was the Brits that supposedly distributed them. But is was a one time unproven folk lore that happened in the East...

Yeah, kind of the interesting take I took from it as well. Possibly a bit overstated though as growing individual rights and equality predate guns. But think as a feedback force it should certainly be reckoned with.

Don't really see a robotic overtake anywhere near the profound changes after the Middle Ages though, and the following age of science, reason and enlightenment.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 19th March 2014 at 00:05.

Having been a bit of a geek on the subject of robotics, cybernetics, machine intelligence, and the singularity issue as Kurzweil puts it..

I find it a lot less likely to see a terminator type machine overtake.. But knowing the nature of man I can easily see far more automated weaponry being controlled, either directly or simply with oversight, by humans..

Yes, the tin hat was firmly on while watching futurescape with James Woods first episode on Robotics and the advances being made in cerebral control of robots now.
    Obviously aimed (disguised?) at allowing us to build 'cyborg' style robots and exoskeletons that are controlled by the wearers brain for quadriplegics etc.

They seem to be surprisingly advanced compared to where I thought we would be. They can control robot limbs and grasp items etc just by a person thinking about it....even had a monkey able to do it!

MACHINE GUNS VS DRONES...

TLandHim, obes and tnlawyer like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast