Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Train tickets :how to buy

Train tickets :how to buy

Hello
    I'd like to buy online (I stay in Italy now) some train tickets from Bangkok to Hua Hin.
    I want to buy e-tickets and print them by myself.
    Is it possible ?
    On thailandtrainticket.com it is possible only to have a ticket delivered at your country or at your hotel when you'll arrive.
    I wrote an email 3 times to thailandtrainticket but they do not reply.
    How can they think that I'll buy any ticket on their website (and ask to them the delivery in my hotel in Bangkok ! ) when they do not reply to a simple email either ?

I don't want to buy them directly in Thailand to avoid any problem (ex: no tickets available)

thanks for tips

Sawadee Krup
    Maxghibaz

(old PI member.... Sigh)

Welcome to the board

You might find problems here. I've never used the local trains but they don't seem very sophisticated so e-tickets would be a bit of a surprise. The websites out there seem quite basic.

Not wanting to de-rail ( ouch ) your thread but is there a particular reason for wanting to do the trip by train? It's pretty straightforward to get buses, and particularly minibuses, out to Hua Hin.

K2
    ditto ... rain travel in Thailand is very underdeveloped .... very unlikely that you'll have any trouble just walking up and buying tickets for BKK - Hua Hin at the station.

If you really have to sucure a specific train - then would get a BKK travel agent to arrange tickets once your here.

As for expecting emails back from Thai Rail - you might have a very long wait. Thai businesses are not great in general for replying to emails.
    Its My Life .....!

Might be hard to get tickets at all. I was thinking of catching a overnight train from Chumphon to Penang a couple of months ago.....it was all sold out more than a month before......Might be more to choose from on Bangkok-Hua Hin, but I would rather take a bus/minibus. It's just a short ride anyway.

I would also echo the above.. My couple of attempts at train use showed, trains don't run to the schedule, are slow and only good for the experience, and I would not be at all surprised if you arrived, e ticket in hand to be told its full anyway, it's late, or simply, take the next one.. I have a feeling a ticket in hand will not mean what you expect it to mean.

If you really want to do it.. Just rock up and take the next one..

What the train is good for, if you can handle the speed, delays, etc.. Is to put your motorbike on, get a sleeper, and cross larger parts of the country arriving with your bike..

Guys I know load the dirtbikes in Bangkok, get off in cm, save themselves a long slog on non road / non fast bikes. Would be an easy way to get yourself, and your scooter, from chumpon to cm or similar.

I just wanted to have a new experience.... I've never used a thai train.

It is an experience, especially the 3. class train from Bangkok to Hua Hin. Normally there should be no problem getting tickets at the station for the next departure, except in connection with Thai holidays.

I do not understand why geir had a problem, maybe that is a special route, or maybe he wanted a wagon in a special colour, 555

Quote Originally Posted by Maxghibaz View Post
    I just wanted to have a new experience.... I've never used a thai train.
    I`m sure you`ll be extremely underwhelmed by the experience 55

The one i had to stop for at a level crossing at Udon yesterday looked like it was ready to fall to pieces with the amount of rust and general unkempt look of it.

I did the 12 hour day trip to CM from BKK one time,wasn`t too bad. For 600baht got a seat by the window got some food and water and a nice French girl beside
    Last edited by Loop; 8th June 2013 at 08:02.

The 08:05 train is a diesel rail car service and scoots along pretty well.. It arrive Hua Hin at 11:25.. 3"20" mins for 230 k is quite acceptable by non hi speed rail standards.. I drive our "pride of the fleet" trains over here, and we average about 75KPH over curvy track, we get along a fair bit quicker where the road allows.... so I am not so quick to judge the thai railway as poor... Catch the rail car down, it will be a 3, 4 or 5 car set.. it's a daylight service.. Grab the A/c cars... they are not too bad at all, and they even feed ya!!! If ya think it sux, grab a taxi for the return trip.. It is deffo worth a try, and cheap as chips

You can find everything you need to know about train travel in LOS on this website.

Train travel in Thailand | Train times & fares from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Phuket, Nong Kai etc.

Excellent info for travel worldwide as well.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Took the slow train Bkk to HH fairly recently. Left Bkk 9:20 am, ฿40 per person. Arrived Hua Hin 1:35 pm (or thereabouts). Made probably over 30 stops along the way, and it was a bit hot by afternoon, but I had fun and enjoyed the experience. Had ladies walking by selling foods and drinks the entire trip. And you can step outside between cars for a smoke if you want.

All the stops were punctual and right on time according to the schedule I had with stations and times on it. (That actually amazed me.) Was able to figure out exactly where we were by the time we stopped at certain stations.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but if you have the time and are feeling adventurous it's worth it to do IMO. There are A/C express trains also, more expensive (not a lot of cash) and make less stops. You can get the info online at: ö觻 - STATE RAILWAY OF THAILAND

I posted here yesterday and for whatever reason it said it needed to be approved by a mod first. That post never made it...

Anyhow, sked info here: ö觻 - STATE RAILWAY OF THAILAND

I did Bangkok to Hua Hin on the slow train fairly recently. Must have made over 30 stops along the way, but was okay. No A/C, only fans and open windows. Ladies walk by the entire trip selling food/drinks, you can step outside between cars and smoke too.

Was surprisingly punctual, left Bkk 9:20 am, arrive HH 1:35 pm. If you have the time, and have the patience, it's a fun trip. I bought tickets 30 mins before the train left, no problem. Weekends could be busier though.

Enjoy.

Forgot to mention, ticket price was ฿40.
    Last edited by Nam Pla; 10th June 2013 at 13:23. Reason: Added cost...

Spambot blocks link posts until you have reached 10 posts, as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    It is an experience, especially the 3. class train from Bangkok to Hua Hin. Normally there should be no problem getting tickets at the station for the next departure, except in connection with Thai holidays.

I do not understand why geir had a problem, maybe that is a special route, or maybe he wanted a wagon in a special colour, 555
    Nah.....I just wanted a sleeping cabin, but it was all booked out. It was still high season back then and only one train a day. It's quite popular for visiting the islands in Malysia...and for visa runs. I ended up in a minibus with a crazy driver......never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    Spambot blocks link posts until you have reached 10 posts, as I understand it.
    Apparently so. My post didn't go through when I checked. Then I added another (10th post), and re-posted my train post (11th post), and it was okay.

Damned spambots.

i did the train backin the late 90's,bangkok to chiang mai and trang to bangkok the next year.
    on short journeys you cannot buy online,for overnight like i went on you can,see dawseys link
    its not bad in 2nd class you have a double seat that folds into a bunkbed,1st class you get a 2 bed compartment with a sink,(i filled that with ice to keep beer cold) more private,do not be conned to buy breakfast on the train ,2 cold fried eggs on thai bread with a plastic cup of nescafe

In the meantime I found this :
    "Please kindly be informed that there is no advance reservation for Train ticket in Thailand, All we could do is collect your full amount of Ticket fee (s) then we'll go to the Train station and purchase train ticket for you, IF in case the ticket ALL SOLDOUT we shall refund the money back to credit card immediately."

Now I understand why I cannot find any website with e-tickets available...
    If I've well understood, they take the motorbike, go to the train station, buy the ticket for me, and mail it to me !!

Exactly as we have been saying, the train system here is old school Thai style..

Quote Originally Posted by Maxghibaz View Post
    In the meantime I found this :
    "Please kindly be informed that there is no advance reservation for Train ticket in Thailand, All we could do is collect your full amount of Ticket fee (s) then we'll go to the Train station and purchase train ticket for you, IF in case the ticket ALL SOLDOUT we shall refund the money back to credit card immediately."

Now I understand why I cannot find any website with e-tickets available...
    If I've well understood, they take the motorbike, go to the train station, buy the ticket for me, and mail it to me !!
    What you can do, if you are in Bangkok a day or few before your trip to HH, is go to Hualamphong and buy the tickets a day or few days ahead of time. I think they'll do that, even if they tell you there's no need.

Also, the end terminus of the subway is Hualamphong station, so it's easy and cheap to get to. And there's several BTS (sky train) stations that share with MRT (subway) stations so travel to the station, and around the city, is quite nice, cheap, and A/C'd (and traffic-free) from almost anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast