Thread: American Flights.

American Flights.

First off the bat, Priceline is changing my opinion on third party providers, previously, I've always found price comparison websites like Expedia, Webjet and agencies like Flight Centre to be pretty shit.

However I'm looking at South American flights and remembering something that Paulie said on the old PI forums about finding it pretty hard to get around America without using these sites and as it turns out... He was right.

After being at my wits end with crappy airline sites (JetBlue didnt work on my desktop, laptop or phone) and my usual failures with SkyScanner/Expedia I gave priceline a go. Found it pretty easy to navigate around, the multi city option looks to save me a packet and get me onto shorter flights. As far as usability goes, Priceline is up there with the best airline sites I've used. My only complaint is that there isn't a fare matrix for multiple days (at least not that I've found yet).

I've never used Priceline before (in Oz, Priceline is a chain of cut price hair salons).

But onto the topic at hand. Below are a my options (hopefully the formatting survives).

I've got a few questions,
    - Any issues with Priceline?
    - Any airlines to avoid?
    - The flights are going to be routed through Miami (AA), JFK (JetBlue), Panama (Copa) or El Salvador (Avianca), Are any of these airports a PITA to get through?
    - Any airlines I haven't considered?
    - Is 3 hours worth $250?
    - General tips and tricks with the US and Latin America appreciated as always.

Flight
    Duration Cost
    Airline
    LAX-MDE 9.50 $ 720.00 Avianca
    MDE-STI 4.50 $ 718.00 Copa
    POP-LAX 10.25 $ 596.00 AA
    Total 24.25 $ 2,034.00
    Flight
    Duration Cost Airline
    LAX-MDE 11.30 $ 610.00 AA
    MDE-SDQ 5.00 $ 505.00 Copa
    POP-LAX 13.20 $ 319.00 JetBlue
    Total 29.50 $ 1,434.00
    Flight
    Duration Cost Airline
    LAX-POP 13.00 $ 380.00 JetBlue
    STI-MDE 12.50 $ 496.00 AA
    MDE-LAX 11.00 $ 763.00 AA
    Total 36.50 $ 1,639.00
    Flight
    Duration Cost Airline
    LAX-MDE 9.00 Copa
    MDE-STI 4.50 $ 1,017.00 Copa
    POP-LAX 13.00 $ 342.00 JetBlue
    Total 26.50 $ 1,359.00
    Flight
    Duration Cost Airline
    LAX-MDE 9.00 Copa
    MDE-STI 4.50 $ 1,017.00 Copa
    POP-LAX 10.20 $ 596.00 AA
    Total 23.70 $ 1,613.00

Abbv - AA (American Airlines), LAX (Las Angeles), MDE (Medellin, Colombia), POP (Peurto Plata, Dominican Republic), STI (Santiago, Dominican Republic).
    Last edited by mjwx; 9th June 2013 at 21:35.

I've flown with Copa a few times now and have never had any issues, decent enough airline, if you come through the airport here that's nice and easy too, you'll even get 30 days free health care, not much use if you're only in transit but a nice touch.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine"

Winston Churchill 1944

I atually don't use Priceline "name your own price" for flights because you never know what time they give you or layovers

for multiple city flights on one ticket i use Orbitz and they work great

I have been to all those cities in the last year or going to (Colombia next month)

if you want to PM me your schedule or desired itinerary i will take a look and see what i come up with

Have you checked Vayama? I've had good luck with them a few times. Vayama | Cheap International Flights

As for airlines to avoid, I'd say any American carriers! American Air is the worst in my experience, followed closely by United. YMMV of course...

Thanks Podders,

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I atually don't use Priceline "name your own price" for flights because you never know what time they give you or layovers

for multiple city flights on one ticket i use Orbitz and they work great
    Yep, Name Your Price looked dodgy, I just used the ordinary multi city trip.

Just checked out Orbitz, same prices for the separate Copa/AA flights but they've got a complete package for $1350... But the flight from LA to Medellin is 3 hours longer (from 9 hours to 12 hours. Is 3 hours worth $250 in people's opinions?

Also, what happens if one of my connecting flights is late? Will Priceline/Orbits put me on another flight seeing as I booked it as one ticket?

Just knocked out Another $300 by flying out of Santiago... All fights with Copa, $1,050. $80 and 1 hour for a taxi from Puerto Plata or so I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Just knocked out Another $300 by flying out of Santiago... All fights with Copa, $1,050. $80 and 1 hour for a taxi from Puerto Plata or so I've read.
    i flew out of Santiago and no need to to take a taxi
    the bus, for about 5usd is so easy and nice to get to from Sosua/Puerto Plata

are you staying in Santiago for a night? good little section to have some beers there

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i flew out of Santiago and no need to to take a taxi
    the bus, for about 5usd is so easy and nice to get to from Sosua/Puerto Plata

are you staying in Santiago for a night? good little section to have some beers there
    Thanks,

I'm still doing a lot of research but it looks like flights are set.

I was thinking of going straight to Sosua seeing as I get into Santiago mid-afternoon.

I've been wondering how I'll get on with limited Spanish. I've been taking lessons but I dont know how much of that will stick... Still having trouble with verb conjugation and remembering numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Thanks,

I'm still doing a lot of research but it looks like flights are set.

I was thinking of going straight to Sosua seeing as I get into Santiago mid-afternoon.

I've been wondering how I'll get on with limited Spanish. I've been taking lessons but I dont know how much of that will stick... Still having trouble with verb conjugation and remembering numbers.
    you will find that people speak a lot less English than they do in Asia but still easy enough to get by