Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you talk on the phone anymore?

Do you talk on the phone anymore?

The microphone on my phone is either blown or clogged up, so i can only talk if i put a headset in it....i have to send it away to get fixed but been too busy to spare the 2 weeks or so. And i have realized I hardly need the voice part of my phone.
    I barely talk to anyone on the phone anymore.....all texts and email.
    The only two people i consistently talk to on the phone are my 2 sisters
    Even at work, most of my communication is done by Instant Message

Unreal....and kind of weird when you think about it.....what a shift

I like to phone people to see if they got my email...

But yeah... a lot less than I used to. I have a lot of clients who won't answer their phone... but will respond by email...

Yeah I said recently because there was some crazy going on, I put call blockers on my phone and keep it on silent 100% of the time and call people back.

I barely use it.. Any talking type calls are now video conference.. The only exceptions are my bankers and some dealing..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah I said recently because there was some crazy going on, I put call blockers on my phone and keep it on silent 100% of the time and call people back.
    i haven't had voicemail in about 8 years. if it is that important they will text me, no need to call and listen to a message

Can't recall (?) the last time I spoke on the phone actually. Only keep it refilled in case of emergencies. Skyping only with my mom using voice, and work using voice and text. Which incidentally has focused on the Ukraine after the Belarus shutdown. Hate using video, as I'm mostly in my PJs anyways... In the early days, I accidentally pressed "accept video" on Skype when they were having a conference with clients in London. Abort! Abort! Synthetic Clothing Error!

The only time I phone people is for eg like today, calling the doctors and hospital to arrange appointments and get advice etc. I very rarely call friends its all done via whatsapp/facebook messenger etc. The only time I think my group of friends call each other is to wake people up in the middle of the night when they need a taxi, or if they don't reply to messages.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Can't recall (?) the last time I spoke on the phone actually. Only keep it refilled in case of emergencies. Skyping only with my mom using voice, and work using voice and text. Which incidentally has focused on the Ukraine after the Belarus shutdown. Hate using video, as I'm mostly in my PJs anyways... In the early days, I accidentally pressed "accept video" on Skype when they were having a conference with clients in London. Abort! Abort! Synthetic Clothing Error!

ha ha.. Yeah I consider it bad netiquette to start a vid conference without first texting to check..

Mainly because I also spend large portions of the day in a pair of shorts..

Quote Originally Posted by NOM1S View Post
    The only time I phone people is for eg like today, calling the doctors and hospital to arrange appointments and get advice etc.
    Rash back again ??

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Rash back again ??
    A few issues 555. Had blood taken and hepatitis vaccinations so got to go back every next week and week after.

A few issues?! That's putting in mildly haha

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    A few issues?! That's putting in mildly haha
    Shut up and back to the OP. 555

I rang you when in Patts actually because my Thai phone had ran out of credit. 555

Barely use it. Mostly sms and emails. Been looking at my mobile telco bill, voice calls going down every month.

I really wonder how Telcos make money these days. Data packages are already so cheap and free wifi nearly everywhere i go.

I use the phone for biz calls.

Outside of bidness, any cell calls I make are generally very quick.

I do Skype far more often, if we're talkin personal calls. But for business, I still use the dedicated business lines... mostly because they're more stable and clear where I am.

When anyone texts me, I text back "texting is for homos"......55555. Anyway, I hate it.
    Evilbaz and LivinLOS like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

So except for the old guy 555

Isn't it an amazing transformation?
    LivinLOS likes this.

The one i really dislike is WeChat. Not really sure how it works. I see people talkikng into the phone and then send, then wait for reply and listen to the conversation. What happaned to dialing and talking?

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    So except for the old guy 555

Isn't it an amazing transformation?
    I guess I am in the 'old guy' catergory, I use my phone almost 100% to 'phone' people. Can't even remember last time I text anyone.

Saying that I am way behind the curve and only got my first smartphone last week so things may change, slowly.

I'm 36 and gotta say, i am firmly in the phone camp. A 2 minute conversation can take care of like 30 texts. I often get texts from some of my employees who are younger (20's). If I see a text, I usually go to the text and hit the callback button. Must annoy the hell out of them, but I am not gonna spend the next 20 minutes typing back and forth.
    billpay likes this.

I intend to die without having a smartphone or a lawn ...

One finger typing with tremor doesn't lend itself to texting - I use my phone for talking, checking the time (retired expats don't wear watches) and an alarm to wake up for the afternoon footy.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 1st April 2014 at 13:14.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

I tell my 83 year old mom, "anytime you call me, I'll answer. Just know that I'm probably at work, and please make it important."

So now I get calls that say, "honey, are you at work?" Me, "yes mom, I'm with clients, everything ok?" Her, "I'm fine, but I was just at your house...your rose bushes need more water. By the way, my back is feeling better. The doctor says the new pills should help. I talked to Connor, he says that he's gonna come for break. I don't know about Trey...
    Are you busy? Ok. Sorry... Do your have any cans of chili at your house? You always have the good stuff and I was coming over later....

Ect..ect...ect...
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast