Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: liberty fries??

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Think the Romans new how to defend themselves 555, Anyway, my point is that if we was a bit more interested in sitting on the fence and let other countries sort out their own issues.......If the Africans or Arabs want to fight their own, let them. Why should we half a world away interfere when we see time after time that it's not gaining the people. Saddam is gone, Gadaffi is gone, but the people are still suffering. It's not working, it's like when people try to force Christianity on "bongo/bongo" tribes and tell them to wear clothes.....They end up walking around wet all day catching deceases and dies.....(silly example, but I think you get my point 555)
    The Persian/Athens reference was pre-roman. Think Spartans.

As for the wearing clothes and dying from that? Mosquitoes are a mother focker.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Slightly before my time then 555

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    but, that is also the perspective of an Iraqui living comfortably in Canada
    Precisely.. They are not now living in a broken society.. Saddam or Daffy it's easy to see were not universally loved democratic leaders.. But to hold a tribal conflicted society together, in a functioning way, often takes a dictator until the society is better educated, more tolerant etc..

We seem to have no issue with the house of saud, even tho it is probably the most hard line.. Wonder why ??
    geir likes this.

Think the Romans new how to defend themselves 555, Anyway, my point is that if we was a bit more interested in sitting on the fence and let other countries sort out their own issues.......If the Africans or Arabs want to fight their own, let them. Why should we half a world away interfere when we see time after time that it's not gaining the people. Saddam is gone, Gadaffi is gone, but the people are still suffering. It's not working, it's like when people try to force Christianity on "bongo/bongo" tribes and tell them to wear clothes.....They end up walking around wet all day catching deceases and dies.....(silly example, but I think you get my point 555)
    There's nothing new under the sun.. Empire now just comes with coca cola and corporate branding..

War is a racket.. Smedly Butler.. Exact same story..

If the Africans or Arabs want to fight their own, let them. Why should we half a world away interfere when we see time after time that it's not gaining the people.
    Some times it does make a difference. There are probably more examples, but two springs to mind:
    The war where Europeans wanted to fight each other, but where a country half a world away decided to interfere - no names as not to invoke Godwin's law
    And the war in Bosnia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    The war where Europeans wanted to fight each other, but where a country half a world away decided to interfere - no names as not to invoke Godwin's law
    Interfered after war was declared on them.

Oh Yeah, almost forgot, Italy declared war on them too at the same time. Dumb move in hindsight for both Countries...

It's a totally different set up in your first example. On one side it was the fear of Russia getting to big if they beat the Germans alone, and on the other side they were helping out their own people. As you know the country half a world away is populated by Europeans 555
    Bosnia was a horrible capture, but (if I remember right) it was triggered of the same reasons as LiL mentioned.....When the wall came down the people wasn't capable to take care of themselves and they went back into fighting each other..........Sounds harsh, but let them deal with it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    As I said, there's 2 sides to the issue that can be easily demonstrated... the meddling western self-interested bully model, demonstrated by Iraq, Libya, Syria, etc...

But on the other hand, there's times when we dont get involved, sit back and say "that's their country's problem, let them sort it out" and the atrocities just grow and grow until we later shamefully admit "we should've done something"... personified primarily by Rwanda. Or possibly even Sudan.

The difference to me, being a somewhat cynical and jaded warprofiteer, is long term strategic selfish interests. Notice that the places we meddle are oil rich. I dont think that's just a coincidence.
    I remember seeing an interview with Clinton after he was finished as President... He was asked what he thought was his biggest failure.. His answer was to do bugger all about Rawanda.... and Bubba was right... that was a disgrace... but i guess there aint no oil there....

As an aside, and I KNOW it is Oliver Stone, but I have been watching the History of America (or similar name) on the History Chanel.

Time certainly plays tricks on your memory I have to say.... I was not a fan of Reagan, and hadn't realised, just how incompetent and crooked his administration truly was... and that many of today's problems can be sheeted squarely at his feet. And to think the Republicans idolise this bloke... That is why, they are doomed to at least 11 more years of opposition... and rightly so.
    Dupree and nelsonone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Ironic post considering your board name..
    Sarcasm at multiple levels, mang...

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I remember seeing an interview with Clinton after he was finished as President... He was asked what he thought was his biggest failure.. His answer was to do bugger all about Rawanda.... and Bubba was right... that was a disgrace... but i guess there aint no oil there....
    It wasn't the lack of oil, it had a lot to do with this:
    U.S Soldier dragged through Mogadishu | Iconic Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    It wasn't the lack of oil, it had a lot to do with this:
    U.S Soldier dragged through Mogadishu | Iconic Photos
    What did Somalia have to do with Rwanda ??

Or just intervention fatigue ??

but, that is also the perspective of an Iraqui living comfortably in Canada
    Ask Any Persian living in the US or Australia what they think of Iran.

Most Persians living in other nations remember the pogrom's of the Islamic revolutions. Oddly enough Iran's minority Christian and Jewish populations weren't the target... It was the Baha'i and Zoroastrian religions that had significant followings who were forced out (or to convert). Most of them ended up in California.

All the Persians I've met in Australia are pro-Israeli... Persians and Jews get on like a house on fire.

It was probably the same with many Iraqi's, the Shi'ites and Kurds were not treated well under Saddam's rule (Sadd supported the Sunni's).

BTW, what is a Donair?

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    BTW, what is a Donair?
    A flying kebab ??
    mjwx and WarProfiteer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Erm, you need to stop getting your info from Movies.

First off, the battles between the Persians (Persians are _not_ Arabs) and the greeks were 1000 years before Islam existed (Persia would have been Zoroastrian at the time). Also Persia at that time was amongst the most advanced states in the world whilst the Romans were still figuring out how to put on a toga. It ended up being the Greeks who were the militaristic invaders (see: Alexander the Great) who eventually destroyed the Persian empire.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    What did Somalia have to do with Rwanda ??

Or just intervention fatigue ??
    The latter. He (and the American public) didn't want to see more photos like that.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Precisely.. They are not now living in a broken society.. Saddam or Daffy it's easy to see were not universally loved democratic leaders.. But to hold a tribal conflicted society together, in a functioning way, often takes a dictator until the society is better educated, more tolerant etc..

We seem to have no issue with the house of saud, even tho it is probably the most hard line.. Wonder why ??
    but i am sure they have plenty of family still effected

i know this Syrian guy, i met at the dog park
    (actually he's blind and i don't mind helping him out but now i basically have to help him everytime, always asking me what the fcuk his dog is doing! but good guy)
    i was bit taken back how non-chalant he seems to be when discussing Syria
    but he could maybe not what to express his true feelings
    or too fcuking busy asking me if Sammy( his dog) is playing with a ball!! 555

but i am sure they have plenty of family still effected

i know this Syrian guy, i met at the dog park
    (actually he's blind and i don't mind helping him out but now i basically have to help him everytime, always asking me what the fcuk his dog is doing! but good guy)
    i was bit taken back how non-chalant he seems to be when discussing Syria
    but he could maybe not what to express his true feelings
    or too fcuking busy asking me if Sammy( his dog) is playing with a ball!! 555
    Muslims and dogs??............haven't read every post on the other thread, but this guy sounds like he would fit in there 55555 (well I guess he is a Muslim)

Muslims and dogs??............haven't read every post on the other thread, but this guy sounds like he would fit in there 55555 (well I guess he is a Muslim)
    Rudy, the blind Syrian, is a good guy

actually, me and the muslim guy in my building are boys now
    had a good chat yesterday........funny enough, his daughter LOVES my dog, goes nuts over him
    ub2yoo and LivinLOS like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast