Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: liberty fries??

liberty fries??

I talked to a French friend of mine last night and he told me a story that was to silly to buy..............He told me that when the French disagreed on the Yanks attack on Iraq, the Yanks banned the use of the word French Fries. And all restaurants (except from MCdonalds and Burger King) had to name it chips or "liberty fries".
    Please tell me it's not true.........just to silly.

^^^^

Yes, it's true Geir.

And in addition, all the latrines at U.S. military installations were renamed "French Pools".

Wasn't an outright ban per se, but silly nonetheless.

Freedom fries is a political euphemism for French fries in the United States. The term came to prominence in 2003 when the Republican-controlled Congress officially renamed the menu item in Congressional cafeterias in response to France's opposition to the proposed invasion of Iraq. The renaming quickly gained notoriety as part of a greater wave of political and popular anti-French sentiment in the United States.

They never stop surprising 5555

Liberty Fries... you mean Freedom Fries, 555

Yeah, that actually happened.

geir likes this.

It happened.. But was no ban.. Just a piss taking name change..

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Phew, and I just thought it could have been another hoax ;-P

French Fries to "Freedom" Fries - Top 10 Dubious Name Changes - TIME
    Very very funny 5555 still got the feeling that some of these Republicans took it damn serious......

French fries became freedom fries or liberty fries
    Same same with French toast

What about French letters?
    Can't see any freedom in having a freedom letter around your ...

Anyone fancy a freedom kiss

I think i had a freedom kiss from you, one night in Phuket Geir...

for me some freedom bread with freedom cheese and a glass of red freedom wine please.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

As Sef said, just a piss take, not a ban or anything real.

I have been to France 2 or 3 times and have always found most of them quite snooty. This snootiness offends most Americans as we tend think that only the US gets to be snooty about anything. Sure they have better cheese, wine and bread, and they taught us to make love with our faces, but beyond those things what do they have to be snooty about?

Reminds me of...

US snooty about things? That's a new one on me!!

Surely it was the UK that invented snootiness?

Solid point... I'll rephrase and say that most Americans tend to feel that only America gets to be arrogant on the world stage. The French doing it just rubs us the wrong way. More so when they are doing it while disagreeing with us. And doubly so when they are disagreeing with us because they were benefiting from their r/ship with Saddam and his sons, so they tried to start a little movement in UN to counter the US & UK going in there to wipe them out.

and to think.....they gave you the statue of Liberty and all 555

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Solid point... I'll rephrase and say that most Americans tend to feel that only America gets to be arrogant on the world stage. The French doing it just rubs us the wrong way. More so when they are doing it while disagreeing with us. And doubly so when they are disagreeing with us because they were benefiting from their r/ship with Saddam and his sons, so they tried to start a little movement in UN to counter the US & UK going in there to wipe them out.
    Well, as it turned out I don't think the French (ohh sorry, the Freedoms) was wrong in not supporting that war 555

Lots of positives to say about France as a country in terms of food, wine, pastis, lovely country side etc.......................pity about the men (generalisation) (women can be pretty hot 5555555) and their inherent lack of ability to fight and wage war or some might even go as far as accusing them of cowardice.................but all at the same time being arrogant focks who want their place on the world stage, which IMO is what grates Americans

Reversing the the words.
    French = Liberty ---> Liberty Statue = French statue
    ---> Liberty bells = French bells.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Sorry, but my history is different from yours.
    French, and also some other European countries went to the first Gulf war after Sadam invaded Kuwait. But that war was under the UN flag. Saw documentaries on BBC where was shown that the French (and their foreign legion) did a good job.
    When Bush and his gang started the second Gulf war, it was not under the flag of the UN, the weapons of mass destruction alibi was invented. Some European countries did not agree with that and refused to take part. France was one of them, together with Germany and Belgium. Bush and Rumsfelt didn't like that.
    steve w likes this.

But Captain its a bit like backing up your mate in a bar brawl, he might be wrong, you may not personally agree with his reasons, but he's your mate and no way do you let him go down without helping irrespective of the odds or reasons.
    Geespot and Dkdude like this.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast