Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is the difference between squid and calamari?

What is the difference between squid and calamari?

When cooked aren't they the same things?

Squids are larger in size than Calamaris. When you see both, you can make out the difference easily.

Calamari is best for frying, grilling, and stir frying dishes. As the flesh is tenderer, it gets cooked soon and is tastier. Squid is best when used for stuffing and stewing.

Summary:1.Calamari has long triangular flaps on both sides of the body. Squid has pointed flaps which are smaller, at the narrow end of the body.
    2.Squids are larger in size than Calamaris.
    3.Calamari has side fins running along the whole length of the body on both the sides. In squids, the side fins are found only for a shorter length of the body on both the sides.
    4.Calamari flesh is tenderer than that of squid.
    5.Squid is best for stuffing and stewing, while Calamari is best for frying, stir frying, and grilling dish

Read more: Difference Between Squid and Calamari | Difference Between | Squid vs Calamari Difference Between Squid and Calamari | Difference Between | Squid vs Calamari

Aaah i thought the size is baby and adult squids. I see a lot of them at the market. I buy the bigger ones to stir fry with egg yolk.

I always thought calamari was just Italian for squid... ?

So did I???
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    So did I???
    Me too...but I see it at Japanese restaurants also

You are all correct 555!

Calamari are a smaller (and more tender) species of squid.

Rubber is rubber if you ask me...................

Squid must be the only seafood I can't be bothered with, it's like eating strips of fishy rubber.
    Last edited by PadMC; 13th June 2013 at 14:51. Reason: ing added
    soupdragon likes this.

Its only rubbery if not fresh!!! if fresh its lubbery dubbery!!!5555
    PadMC likes this.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

i've always found it difficult to know the difference between a langoustine, prawn, and a shrimp unless i told which was which. if they were lined up in front of me i would probably think they were all the same

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Yeah don't you just love the taste of your rubbers noggie.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by beuk View Post
    Yeah don't you just love the taste of your rubbers noggie.
    Twat!!!! No rubber for me :-)
    beuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ken2013 View Post
    i've always found it difficult to know the difference between a langoustine, prawn, and a shrimp unless i told which was which. if they were lined up in front of me i would probably think they were all the same
    Find that hard to believe Ken, seeing as you come from Ireland. Assuming you eat the same as we did in England, the shrimp were really small and came in half pint or pint glasses, (well used to, probably weights and measures have put paid to that tradition) prawns were not much bigger and langoustines were starting to get a decent size to munch on.

The difficulty becomes when you leave England, say to somewhere like here in Thailand, where a shrimp is the size of a big uk prawn, a prawn is big enough to eat a UK Langoustine, and a Langoustine is about the size of a big UK lobster!!!! I was offered prawns the other day not by the kg, but each one was a kg!!! ferking things were as big as your arm!!!! reckoned they were related to Nessie!!!

Find that hard to believe Ken, seeing as you come from Ireland. Assuming you eat the same as we did in England, the shrimp were really small and came in half pint or pint glasses, (well used to, probably weights and measures have put paid to that tradition) prawns were not much bigger and langoustines were starting to get a decent size to munch on.

The difficulty becomes when you leave England, say to somewhere like here in Thailand, where a shrimp is the size of a big uk prawn, a prawn is big enough to eat a UK Langoustine, and a Langoustine is about the size of a big UK lobster!!!! I was offered prawns the other day not by the kg, but each one was a kg!!! ferking things were as big as your arm!!!! reckoned they were related to Nessie!!!

i've only really started eating sea food since i've been going to thailand and only really eat prawns in ireland as they are the easiest to get in the asian shops around the city. its true what you said about the size. my wifes friend came back from thailand which the usual huge amounts of food stuffed in her suit case. she gave my misses a bag which i presumed were prawns but the were actually shrimp. i had really only seen the small shrimp before that they usually put in salads. i wouldn't eat a huge amount of sea food but i do enjoy it

I did as well
    So did I???

says the man from plah meuk ville.....
    beuk likes this.

Rubber? Abalone to me is rubber. I love squid cooked properly. Abalone is worse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    says the man from plah meuk ville.....
    So I cant really complain it's not fresh..........Sometimes I'm fishing with squid on the pier...and what do I catch??? Yeah squid!!! I already got bait FFS.

Twat!!!! No rubber for me :-)
    No rubber for you. Your wife's clock ticking. You don't really want. Does this means you still have an affair with your former employee lb.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast