Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What other forums are you on?

What other forums are you on?

Just wondering what other forums people are on here?

As most know, I am also on an MMA forum (Sherdog). I'm a senior mod there but it's wearing a little thin these days, as the target market for MMA is men 15-45. Seems our average age poster there is early 20's and even the seasoned guys who've been posting there for a few years can be annoying and arrogant at times. I'm thinking that now after 6 years and 20K posts, it might be time to walk away. We'll see.

I'm on rideasia, but unless I am there in Thailand and doing motorcycle rides, I dont actually look at it or post.

Just wondering where others read/post and what their thoughts on it are...

Griffin Park Grapevine... Up the Bees! (footie related)

The most depressing bunch of cynical old irrational losers. Almost like sitting in the stands
    Last edited by kris-one; 21st April 2014 at 14:23.

I'm a bit wary of forums now, you can lose so much time to them it gets silly. I find myself getting into ridiculous arguments as well so post on very few forums these days. I'm on Pattaya Secrets but post very rarely. I do like to support Secrets a little if I can, they've always treated me well when I've stayed there.

I like it here and check in often; it hasn't become a cliquey bitchfest so far.

I'm on a few, mainly tech related, macrumors, cnet, the verge, but don't post much.

PI was the first forum i'd ever joined and the only 1 (for a long time) I ever spent any time on, glad I did, i've met some great people and had many great times with members of that forum.

P.s, I got nailed in the early days from some of the senior members, But i hung in there and now when I return I nearly always catch up for dinner and a beer with the mongrels that bagged me, 5555.
    LivinLOS likes this.

I think it's time for you Kev for Teakdoor.

Some really comprehensive sub-forums on building a house in Isaan.
    LivinLOS likes this.
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Baz, we need a new function so I can dislike your post. Haha...

If Chiang Mai is barely tolerable to me, I'm pretty sure I'd just set myself on fire one bored Tuesday if I moved to Isaan.

Back on topic, there are forums for everything... for specific car models (Mustang forums, VW forums, etc), sports of course, business, etc...

My very first forum I read a lot was a bodybuilding/weight lifting forum. I didnt really post, and after about 6 months I got tired of the meatheads always arguing. So then I started frequenting the old Anthony Robbins success coaching forums. It was a positive atmosphere and much more what I wanted out of a forum... exchanges of ideas and experiences without all the BS & drama & e-arguments. Unfortunately, once the place started getting good traffic, they re-designed it to pretty much push product rather than having an open forum for people who had read the guy's books or gone to his seminars and were putting these things into practice in their businesses or their r/ships. The mods were told to enforce the rules of no free-flowing discussion that didnt directly pertain to the product that subforum was geared to... there was no place for just General Discussion. Most of the long timers quit within a few weeks and formed an offshoot. I went back once, 18 months later, and started a thread in their "Help" section asking the simple question "SO, how did that work out for ya? Now that time has passed, how do your numbers of posts, new viewers, new participants, etc... stack up to what you had before your redesign?". Within a few hours, some of the old mods came on and posted that indeed the forum had very little traffic these days. I'm guessing someone high up then read it. The thread was closed, then a day later, the whole forum had been shut down.

So yeah, I think I killed a once thriving forum... 555... well, they killed it, but I came along later and put the nail in the coffin, it seems. Sad because that was the first forum where I felt a real sense of community and actually spoke on the phone with people I grew close to and even met a few of them irl. It was a board member there that got me on to Sherdog, actually. Of course, I had no idea I'd one day end up as a mod there.

I cant even remember how I ended up on P-I. I just remember feeling like a lot of folks there were expats and frequent visitors and had often met up irl, so they got along well enough for the most part... so I liked it & started contributing.

I am ashamed at how many forums I have over 1000 posts on !!

I used to moderate the HTPC forum on AVSForums, a home theater, high end audio, kinda setup.. Was a microsoft MVP on the green button.. Also in that line forums for XBMC, Plex, Boxee, etc etc etc.. Then theres car forums, bike forums (many many bike forums), ThaiVisa, tech forums, support forums, camera and Photography forums, the list goes on..

Only here, and Thailand-UK for help with visa's (going both ways). Tried ThaiD before this place was set up but too many twats for me to tolerate sticking around.

here, TD, a Snooky one and PI@night....plus a couple of design oriented joints...keeps me across my interests, the places I visit and the people I know

This is the only one I contribute to, a lot of internet forums turn into insult threads and deviate too much. I'm also on Pattaya addicts but haven't posted there in a long time, just read when a trip to Patts is coming up to try and get some up to date information on bars and places to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    This is the only one I contribute to, a lot of internet forums turn into insult threads and deviate too much. I'm also on Pattaya addicts but haven't posted there in a long time, just read when a trip to Patts is coming up to try and get some up to date information on bars and places to go.
    Yeah, I am on there too... havent posted much there in years tho... pretty sure my total posts are under 200... like you, I'll log on there if I am going near Patts, but otherwise I cant be bothered.

I don't spend a lot of time on forums, but I post some on this one and on Puff.com (cigar related forum).

I read a lot and don't post a lot on several forums. At least 5 bike forums, 5 .Mil- Contracting related forums, and this forum.
    I actually set up and ran a forum for Danish Army members, going on 9-10 years now, but don't actively admin it anymore as I have lost touch with the realities of regular army life now.

I did spend a lot of time posting on politically related forums after 2004, but pretty much non-active these days. Not really worth the time as it’s either everyone preaching to the choir or the occasional troll. So sorry for bringing in politics perhaps too much on this forum 555.

Only tech / science forums and local sports for me these days where I’m active. About half work-related and half personal interests I reckon.

A few tech forums and quite a few hacking forums albeit not very active these days, a shitload of airgunning, guns and hunting forums. Then there is the poker forums, quite a few of those

I just stick to this forum.

If I want to get into inane banter about the rugby etc I go up to the pub.

It's not really relevant to Asia however it's nice to have the odd chat on here with like-minded......give it politics or cricket etc
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 22nd April 2014 at 15:40.

Phuket -Info was the first forum I ever joined. Couldn't ever see that one folding but due to some strange and silly decisions after Nicke passed away that is exactly what happened. I later joined a couple of UK based Merc forums and then an AMG forum which take up a little of my spare time. I also dip in and out of the Rugby Forum and take a big interest in a MotoGP forum as well.
    So, including this one, 6 in total More than enough.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Only this for me.....no time for more.........oh wait, maybe I'll join TD in low season under a different name. Just to see if it's as full of crap that I've heard 5555
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Here, both TD's and a couple of rugby related ones.. Gier you may just be suprised by who you bump in to 555

Here and TD. Aside from that forums are tools which I use when I need info. Right now rooting a new phone so xda developers or when a problem with the PC the computer forums etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast