Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Getting to Samui

Getting to Samui

Any advice on the best way to get to Samui from Issan.

Checked from Khon Kaen, Thai air is saying something like $350, would it be better to go from Bangkok??

I do plan on checking other fares etc, just looking for 1st hand experience I guess.

Alos, any thoughts on this place, CHALALA SAMUI RESORT KOH SOMUI

Chalala Samui Resort

thanks guys, spur of the moment family holiday, so things are moving pretty quick atm.

Samui is a private airport and hence has really high airport taxes.. And I think only Thai Air and bangkok air can fly there.. To get there from CNX costs a lot more than going to PP for example. Its one of the negatives of the island if you travel a bunch.

Theres one or two flights a day on Thai air that is much cheaper using larger aircraft, so play with the flight time options and see if one jumps out. Other than that those 2 are your only price options (barring Surat Thani and a boat which just wouldnt be worth it to me).

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Samui is a private airport and hence has really high airport taxes.. And I think only Thai Air and bangkok air can fly there..
    I think that anyone can fly into there, they just make it outrageously expensive with landing and parking fees.

In the "little airplane" directory at the Thai Flying Club, it shows that the minimum landing fee is $300 USD. That's for a very small private airplanes or paraglider, whatever. And the rates go up from there, for heavier aircraft. That's in comparison to the "normal" landing fee for small airplanes of around 500 baht.

Bangkok Airways has the ownership of at least three airports in Thailand (Koh Samui, Sukhothai, and Trat). They all charge accordingly.

Yep....yo are stuck with either the expensive BKK/THai air options direct....or the Air Asia/Nok offshore (Surat Thani/NST) options via air....I know that some of the girls take a mini-bus to/from parts of Issan which is door to door....no stopping in BKK..direct all the way...iirc it is about 1K pp

I don't know the hotel Slade but if you are thinking of booking it I will ride by and give it a look if you like

I just went to Samui

If you looking to cur costs id fly into Surat Thani then take the minibus/ferry combo for 400baht
    They have the times set very well that you dont wait for the bus or ferry very long
    Each take 1.5 hours

The fly out from Samui but book early because the flights fill up and prices go up.

I stayed at Coral Cove Chalet sort of in the middle of Lamai and Chaewang and was great
    My room was Incredible

I've been going to go Samui a few times recently but been put off with the cost of about 12,000 baht return flight, which is just fkin outrageous IMO. It would only make sense if I was going for at least a week

^ May is the time to drop in Gee....can get a return from Patts for around 5-6K
    Geespot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ May is the time to drop in Gee....can get a return from Patts for around 5-6K
    Ye cheers Nels I will be UK & hell on earth Nigeria until mid May as of Tuesday

Nigeria armpit of Africa.

You been there before Gee?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Nigeria armpit of Africa.

You been there before Gee?
    Many many times and a few other African hell holes

Well I guess the pay must be good.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Surat Thank was suggested so may take a look at it.
    The other option is Chang Mai as well and no beach holiday this time.

I've been thinking of getting the train down from BKK myself sometime. Train to Surat Thani then boat across. It must be a pleasant way to go. Stop off in Hua Hin for a night or 2 also. I've never taken the trains in LOS. It's something I want to do.
    Last edited by PadMC; 26th April 2014 at 17:46.
    Geespot likes this.

Thanks for the input guys, I think we will probably end up going to Chang Mai, then Hua Hin perhaps.

We didn't really plan this trip, just real spur of the moment, Samui seems just a little in the to hard basket this time.

We don't want to go to Phuket again, so any other options is something kind of new anyhow, so we'll just run with whatever happens and see where we end up.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I think we will probably end up going to Chang Mai, then Hua Hin perhaps.

We didn't really plan this trip, just real spur of the moment, Samui seems just a little in the to hard basket this time.

We don't want to go to Phuket again, so any other options is something kind of new anyhow, so we'll just run with whatever happens and see where we end up.
    Snowy if you haven't been to Samui with the family i really think it is worth the extra effort
    i just got back from there and i loved it!

but if i were you, i'd consider Lamai over Chaewang, just much more laid back and a better option for the family
    as i said, that bus/ferry combo from Surat Thani is well planned out and really the 1.5 hours on the ferry flies by because it is beautiful ride

then just book early and fly back

BKK-Surat Thani on Air Asia is about 1k baht
    nelsonone and LivinLOS like this.

thanks Paul, that really does look doable.

Khon Kaen to BKK then Surat Thani all pretty reasonable fares tbh.

It's the hassle of traveling with children x2, (wife and daughter) 555

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Yep....yo are stuck with either the expensive BKK/THai air options direct....or the Air Asia/Nok offshore (Surat Thani/NST) options via air....I know that some of the girls take a mini-bus to/from parts of Issan which is door to door....no stopping in BKK..direct all the way...iirc it is about 1K pp

I don't know the hotel Slade but if you are thinking of booking it I will ride by and give it a look if you like
    Thanks Nels, any other suggestions would help also, with a 3yr old in mind, so pool I guess is necessary, beach, bars and shopping come to mind, ( not really in that order, bars is the No1 priority)

I agree with Paulie.. That Samui is very worth seeing, and that Lamai is the place to base yourself not Chaweng.

Nels will have the current good deals, but Lamai 99 or coconut beach resort are so central you have a beach on your doorstep and Lamai in a few paces.

Not that there's anything wrong with Chiang Mai. To me, Chiang Mai has more daytime stuff to do than most other places... just doesnt have a beach. Get a hotel with a decent pool and it's almost the same. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I agree with Paulie.. That Samui is very worth seeing, and that Lamai is the place to base yourself not Chaweng.

Nels will have the current good deals, but Lamai 99 or coconut beach resort are so central you have a beach on your doorstep and Lamai in a few paces.
    plus, you can almost total a MB and not pay that much 555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast