Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Short visits or long visits?

Short visits or long visits?

when you travel, do you prefer to take a long 2 weeks in one country and settle in

or do you prefer to do a few shorter visits to neighbouring countries?

me, i like to try and fit in 2 or 3 different countries, if possible every time i go on holiday
    i don't want to spend my whole time travelling or unpacking, so they have to be relatively close or part of a flight layover

my next trip, my main destination is Colombia, but it layovers in Panama so we are staying there for 3 days
    then i looked to see what the shortest flight was to a neighbouring country and Ecuador is only 1 1/2 hour flight, so decided to go there for 3 or 4 days

i just love seeing new countries

i always try and do the same when in Asia
    last trip my wife and I did Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand in one trip

Have changed over the years and now prefer to spend time in one place.

Exception is our US road trips 5 -10000 miles over 6-10 weeks and the longest spent anywhere is a week. The US is an amazing country.

I'd put it down to how far you live from the destination. I've done 10 days in thailand and 6 months in thailand. Now the i usually go for between 3-4 weeks 1 time a year and try visit Malaysia or somewhere else at the end. If i lived in AUS or Malaysia i'd do a lot more trips of about 7 days as the flights would be cheaper.

When travelling Europe 7 days would enough in one place for me. I love travelling far from my home and love airports and airplanes. Its all part of the adventure for me

Long but not too long.

I dont like travelling every 2nd or 3rd day but after 10 or so days I get bored and have to move on. I normally try to stay in one place for 1-2 weeks and move on.

2 years ago I was on a motorcycle vacation for 3 weeks. I think we visited 14 different cities. That was all about travelling and see as much as possible. My trips to LOS are about something else entirely, so I don't travel around much. At most I go from Patong to Karon/Kata, because I like the small towns

If I had the money though, I would see as many places as I could possibly fit in one holiday.

I can normally only get 2 weeks (ish) off work in one go, so when visiting Thailand, staying in one place is good enough for me. The additional cost of further travel is an issue, but the main consideration is 'wasting time' on additional travel, when just travelling to and from LOS effectively uses up a good 2/3 days of my trip. I'm pleased to see that Emirates are flying to Phuket now, so I can fly from Birmingham to Phuket with one stopover while bypassing Bangkok. Only a small time saving, but it all helps! If I had the benefit of a longer trip, I'd definitely move around the country/region during a holiday.

Twice a year , for two weeks and three weeks , use the rest of my holidays for short trips away and long weweekends .

each trip to LOS I normally travel around a bit , last time Samui , next CM along with Patts
    Last edited by Stillearly; 20th June 2013 at 03:28.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Prefer longer trips. I used to like a few different destinations within one trip, but am hating airports more and more these days. The round trip from Don Muang to Phuket was hell. Took up a full day of my trip and with the added debacle of the Don Muang taxi rank thrown in makes me think never again..
    Getting cranky as I get older aswell, other travellers get right on my tits 5555 The amount of idiots whose cases were over weight on a recent flight was untrue. Prefer to limit my time around some of these morons..
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Longer trips but only once a year. A lot of public holidays in Kuala Lumpur, mostly long weekends, but not feasible to travel at that time, air ticket cost more.

I seem to have a preference for long stays... of the 2 years plus variety, hahaa...

Back when it was only vacations to Thailand, I'd say about 7-10 days in any one place and I'd be wanting to move on. That feels about right for me, so it's probably what I would do on vacation anywhere.

Agreed w/ DanBoy about the airport stuff though... it's getting to where I am really looking at alternatives if I can find them... driving myself, trains, motorcycle, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Agreed w/ DanBoy about the airport stuff though... it's getting to where I am really looking at alternatives if I can find them... driving myself, trains, motorcycle, etc...
    i don't mind airports if i am on holiday and not in a rush to get anywhere
    in drinking mode

but i really like to drive
    love renting a car in new countries, having a decent idea where i am going but no concrete plans

10 Days is great for us. That way you can get away with 6 days of annual leave at a time and do it a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    in drinking mode

but i really like to drive
    love renting a car in new countries, having a decent idea where i am going but no concrete plans
    i also like to sit down in a airport bar and have a drink as long as i have the time,have a talk to different travelers. i've done the alternative travel around thailand by train and bus and it just takes too long.

This, I dont let airports and idiots stress me out.

I deal with enough idiots at work (in IT and the public sector... idiots as far as the eye can see) so it's good to say they're someone else's problem once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    This, I dont let airports and idiots stress me out.

I deal with enough idiots at work (in IT and the public sector... idiots as far as the eye can see) so it's good to say they're someone else's problem once in a while.
    yeah, once i check-in.........my holiday starts and everytime i am in the airport, still on holiday!

I've got to wait aabout 3 1/2hrs for my flight in LAX next month
    won't bother me at all
    grab some beers, eat a nice dinner if they have a decent place

man, in some airports now, they have great dining

Usually 2 weeks in march and 3 in november. I tend to do visit more places on the 3 week trip but not too much of it as i like to relax and am very lazy 555
    Money can't buy love but it can rent a pretty close imitation.

yeah, once i check-in.........my holiday starts and everytime i am in the airport, still on holiday!

I've got to wait aabout 3 1/2hrs for my flight in LAX next month
    won't bother me at all
    grab some beers, eat a nice dinner if they have a decent place

man, in some airports now, they have great dining
    I was really impressed with JFKs new Jet Blue terminal and restaurant options.

i think i worded it wrong
    was really aksing if people on a 2 week holiday prefer to stay in one place or 2 or 3 different places
    but interesting what others are answering also

my trip next month:

-3 days Panama
    -2 Cartagena, Colombia
    -4 days open w/nothing booked but most likely sleeping on island type beach one, bus it 4 hrs to small town for 1 night, then hiking in National Park and sleeping on another beach for 2 days
    -3 days Medellin, Colombia.........fly there 1hr
    -4 days Quito, Ecuador.........fly 1 1/2 hours ( even this i won't book until in Colombian, so open)
    -1 night Bogota, Colombia

a 4hr bus ride doesn't bother me if i am in a new country and seeing new countryside
    i also don't get drunk every night like i used to and that leaves a ton of time in the day to do things, so travelling around doesn't seem to take up that much of my day since i am up early (8am is latest i will sleep)

Have you sized your hat yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used to do a lot of 3-4 day layovers and side trips back when i was traveling the world on business....it was a wonderful way to get a taste of places you had never been to before

now days I don't go anywhere for less than 10-14 days but I may see 2 or 3 cities in that time....but other times i am happy just to explore one place for that amount of time and get to know it well..almost try to become a local in a daft sort of a way....I will stay longer when my purpose is scuba diving and I am enjoying it though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast