Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New BM, be gentle with me...

New BM, be gentle with me...

Firstly, thanks for checking out the forum, there is plenty of worthwhile information here, and a lot of Board Members who are happy to offer advice.

Here are a couple of tips to help you find your way around and make sure you get the information youíre looking for.

1. Post a quick introduction -
    Dlew, from Austraya...

2. Try using the "Search" function; this will at least point you in the right direction. Board Members are always willing to help, but, why not explore the site first, to see if others have asked the same question. When searching, try not to be too specific at first.
    Are you really promising if I search for "Best Bar in Patong", I won't get a thread about where to buy sandals in Muang Buriram....

3. If you post a question, look at the bottom of the page, there you will see "Similar Threads" . Click on them and you may find a thread that covers the question you asked.
    I hate to sound sceptical but, really?

4. Humour is not International, misunderstandings can happen due to language differences and a different view of what is funny and what is not.
    Comments that are intended to be a "joke" can be taken the wrong way.
    Now I did mention in point 1. I'm Austayan, so I do have patience with those of you who struggle to understand our superior sense of humor... I'll work with you!

5. Threads can "wander" off topic, this is only to be expected but please don't jump into the middle of a thread with a post which bears no relation to what is being discussed. Try checking back a few posts and you will see how things are flowing.
    I never realised the point was to stay "ON" topic.... news o me.

6. A lot of Board Members here know each other or who have met up in Thailand so some of what is discussed may be private jokes. Some of the humour is "Off the Wall" and may seem childish, just have a read and a good laugh.
    Childish I can do...

7. Remember the Moderators are volunteers and do a good job, keeping the forum running properly and will step in if inappropriate or offensive messages are posted. Most of the time, they act as normal board Members, posting their views and experiences.
    Moderators aren't "normal", there very "special" people, you know, like that kid in school with the thick glasses, who could name all the Star Trek characters, played Dungeons and Dragon's all weekend, new how to make rotten egg gas... you get the picture.

8. If you have a question, or wish to start a thread, try to post it in the most appropriate forum. this will help you get the best answers and also, it will be seen by Board Members with knowledge of the specific area.
    Done!

9. Asia-info.co is a re-incarnation of a popular site called Phuket-info.com - The owner of that forum Nicke Kring sadly died in January 2013 due to injuries suffered in a motorbike accident. Nicke and his wife Ead ran the Mai Thai bar in Soi Eric, Bangla road, Patong, Phuket. The future of Phuket info is unclear but there was such a wide community of friends and great information gathered there that some people decided to get another board going in the meantime. After a huge effort Asia-info.co came about. Thatís how we are here today.
    A subject that still cuts, surely missed and the place is a lesser town without his presence... Buddha bless....

10. Flaming or trolling wonít be tolerated so in short donít be a d1ck. Give respect, get respect.
    Hopefully this will help you find your way round the Board , and will stop you feeling like the "Dumb Newbie", remember, we were all Newbies once.
    Bloody hell I hope Geespot's been shown this point 555

Once again, "Welcome to the Forum" and don't be afraid to ask questions, we won't shout at you (Well not too much).
    Thankyou... And whats the current price for a beer and a root in Patong.....

I joined this forum on the request of a guy who I consider to be one of the most intelligent and well travelled people in SEA. I do this because he has never hesitated in sharing his knowledge and experience when I have asked, out of respect to him I hope to do the same.
    I hope I can share what I learn as I live this ...... "journey" for lack of a better word, known as the next part of my life and try to make a future here in Cambodia.
    I do have Oz calling, as the most important person in my life is there turning into an amazing young woman, but SEA has been in my system since my first real exploration of the region in 88/89 and its never truly left.

Of course I'm also hoping to make new friends, learn loads and catch up with old acquaintances.
    Cheers
    LivinLOS and Dkdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    Firstly, thanks for checking out the forum, there is plenty of worthwhile information here, and a lot of Board Members who are happy to offer advice.

Here are a couple of tips to help you find your way around and make sure you get the information you’re looking for.

1. Post a quick introduction -
    Dlew, from Austraya...

2. Try using the "Search" function; this will at least point you in the right direction. Board Members are always willing to help, but, why not explore the site first, to see if others have asked the same question. When searching, try not to be too specific at first.
    Are you really promising if I search for "Best Bar in Patong", I won't get a thread about where to buy sandals in Muang Buriram....

3. If you post a question, look at the bottom of the page, there you will see "Similar Threads" . Click on them and you may find a thread that covers the question you asked.
    I hate to sound sceptical but, really?

4. Humour is not International, misunderstandings can happen due to language differences and a different view of what is funny and what is not.
    Comments that are intended to be a "joke" can be taken the wrong way.
    Now I did mention in point 1. I'm Austayan, so I do have patience with those of you who struggle to understand our superior sense of humor... I'll work with you!

5. Threads can "wander" off topic, this is only to be expected but please don't jump into the middle of a thread with a post which bears no relation to what is being discussed. Try checking back a few posts and you will see how things are flowing.
    I never realised the point was to stay "ON" topic.... news o me.

6. A lot of Board Members here know each other or who have met up in Thailand so some of what is discussed may be private jokes. Some of the humour is "Off the Wall" and may seem childish, just have a read and a good laugh.
    Childish I can do...

7. Remember the Moderators are volunteers and do a good job, keeping the forum running properly and will step in if inappropriate or offensive messages are posted. Most of the time, they act as normal board Members, posting their views and experiences.
    Moderators aren't "normal", there very "special" people, you know, like that kid in school with the thick glasses, who could name all the Star Trek characters, played Dungeons and Dragon's all weekend, new how to make rotten egg gas... you get the picture.

8. If you have a question, or wish to start a thread, try to post it in the most appropriate forum. this will help you get the best answers and also, it will be seen by Board Members with knowledge of the specific area.
    Done!

9. Asia-info.co is a re-incarnation of a popular site called Phuket-info.com - The owner of that forum Nicke Kring sadly died in January 2013 due to injuries suffered in a motorbike accident. Nicke and his wife Ead ran the Mai Thai bar in Soi Eric, Bangla road, Patong, Phuket. The future of Phuket info is unclear but there was such a wide community of friends and great information gathered there that some people decided to get another board going in the meantime. After a huge effort Asia-info.co came about. That’s how we are here today.
    A subject that still cuts, surely missed and the place is a lesser town without his presence... Buddha bless....

10. Flaming or trolling won’t be tolerated so in short don’t be a d1ck. Give respect, get respect.
    Hopefully this will help you find your way round the Board , and will stop you feeling like the "Dumb Newbie", remember, we were all Newbies once.
    Bloody hell I hope Geespot's been shown this point 555

Once again, "Welcome to the Forum" and don't be afraid to ask questions, we won't shout at you (Well not too much).
    Thankyou... And whats the current price for a beer and a root in Patong.....

I joined this forum on the request of a guy who I consider to be one of the most intelligent and well travelled people in SEA. I do this because he has never hesitated in sharing his knowledge and experience when I have asked, out of respect to him I hope to do the same.
    I hope I can share what I learn as I live this ...... "journey" for lack of a better word, known as the next part of my life and try to make a future here in Cambodia.
    I do have Oz calling, as the most important person in my life is there turning into an amazing young woman, but SEA has been in my system since my first real exploration of the region in 88/89 and its never truly left.

Of course I'm also hoping to make new friends, learn loads and catch up with old acquaintances.
    Cheers
    I don't remember I inviting you...
    Waharoa likes this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Your alzheimer's isn't as bad as you think ....

Bloody hell I hope Geespot's been shown this point 555 [[/COLOR]
    Nice start 555555555555
    dlew likes this.

You still in cambo mate?
    Money can't buy love but it can rent a pretty close imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Iltis View Post
    You still in cambo mate?
    Yes mate, and I can't see myself leaving at the moment.
    LivinLOS likes this.

A beer and a root will be much cheaper in cambo than Patong. Wttb

Yes mate, and I can't see myself leaving at the moment.
    hard for us to believe unless you post lots of pics.....of lovely CGs.....555

please give my best to Uncle Rudi when you see him next mate

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    A beer and a root will be much cheaper in cambo than Patong. Wttb
    Cheers, I'll keep the Patong V Cambo thing in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    hard for us to believe unless you post lots of pics.....of lovely CGs.....555

please give my best to Uncle Rudi when you see him next mate
    TR of sorts to come, maybe with the odd pic if you be nice. 555
    I took Linc who's been here on a v-run to see Rudi the other night. We had a good chat and a nice feed at his bar.

Whats this? Another f/wit from the cnutstruck forum...?
    Pablo likes this.

So Dlew
    You are thinking you might live in Cambo for good?
    You had not mentioned that....I thought it was just an extended holiday

Have you looked at accomodations? What are they like? Prices, type
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Get over it Tarzan
    Dlew is a good guy and I am sure Sefton is happy to have another guy to add Cambo content on the board
    Evilbaz likes this.

Get over what? 5555
    Dont worry... Just returning a greeting that he posted on the cnutstruck forum... ;-)
    Pablo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Good luck
    Decent accommodation, and by that I mean a high standard condo or apartment with nice furnishing etc is more expensive in PP than Thailand IMO... Theres just so much less of it to a good standard. I remember being a bit shocked at a Khmer girl (or rather her absent boyfriend) paying 800 USD for a fairly basic 2 bed with rock hard asian style wooden furniture. Then on the flip side I knew an expat with a very downtown 1 bed, small but nicely furnished, for only 200, it was however a 4th or 5th floor walkup.

I think budget / lower end stuff can be cheaper (than Thai).. But then its lower end furnished and tiled etc etc.. We had an OK 2 story 3 bed, with a huge living room maybe 300 meters from the 51st corner for 350.

The city is noisy too.. Constantly building works and street noise.. If your a light sleeper or want to work with some peace, you need to think about that as you consider places. When I was looking at spending more time there I was eyeing about to find an apartment with a roof terrace or similar. I dont like being trapped inside a city space without some outdoor to chill, or have a beer in the evening with mates or just get some air. They exist, but you need to work fairly hard looking to find one.

What doesnt seem to exist, is nice private moobaans, with security keeping non residents out, and some green spaces, trees planted, etc etc.. Even the million dollar homes on Koh Pitch, are simply nasty square lumps, all stacked 2m from the next place, no gardens or green. I scoped around further and further out to the edges of the city, expecting to find some, but never did. Given the lack of nice housing and eye watering property prices, I dont quite see why they didnt make some of those enclave type estates.
    dlew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Decent accommodation, and by that I mean a high standard condo or apartment with nice furnishing etc is more expensive in PP than Thailand IMO... Theres just so much less of it to a good standard. I remember being a bit shocked at a Khmer girl (or rather her absent boyfriend) paying 800 USD for a fairly basic 2 bed with rock hard asian style wooden furniture. Then on the flip side I knew an expat with a very downtown 1 bed, small but nicely furnished, for only 200, it was however a 4th or 5th floor walkup.

I think budget / lower end stuff can be cheaper (than Thai).. But then its lower end furnished and tiled etc etc.. We had an OK 2 story 3 bed, with a huge living room maybe 300 meters from the 51st corner for 350.

The city is noisy too.. Constantly building works and street noise.. If your a light sleeper or want to work with some peace, you need to think about that as you consider places. When I was looking at spending more time there I was eyeing about to find an apartment with a roof terrace or similar. I dont like being trapped inside a city space without some outdoor to chill, or have a beer in the evening with mates or just get some air. They exist, but you need to work fairly hard looking to find one.

What doesnt seem to exist, is nice private moobaans, with security keeping non residents out, and some green spaces, trees planted, etc etc.. Even the million dollar homes on Koh Pitch, are simply nasty square lumps, all stacked 2m from the next place, no gardens or green. I scoped around further and further out to the edges of the city, expecting to find some, but never did. Given the lack of nice housing and eye watering property prices, I dont quite see why they didnt make some of those enclave type estates.
    I am a city guy but need at least a balcony
    If my WP works out i will probably buy an apartment
    Totally fine with 800-900sq ft but needs outdoor space with good sliding doors that open up

I've gotta have a pool...simple as that..PP doesn't seem to cater for pools well

I've gotta have a pool...simple as that..PP doesn't seem to cater for pools well
    Those run up in price fast.. There are some condos with them, but under supply means a heavy pricetag.

In a hot climate....without a doubt for me also

Talking about maybe having to move to LOS....i would have no problem living in Ao's..townhouse, having it be sort of Thai style wouldnt bother me but i need a pool and i use it in LOS

Get over what? 5555
    Dont worry... Just returning a greeting that he posted on the cnutstruck forum... ;-)
    Point 10 Tarzan point 10.
    You joined the cnutstruck forum??? Why???
    I did NOT see you post there. Even if I did see you had joined I neither would have welcomed you nor called you a F/wit, I got way more style than that...
    slampay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    So Dlew
    You are thinking you might live in Cambo for good?
    You had not mentioned that....I thought it was just an extended holiday

Good luck
    It originally was an extended visit, then I got offered a business opportunity which I am still researching, now as time goes bye I have met more people, most of who have left LOS to start here and also an AUS/Cambo family who do business here and the place has grown on me.
    I just see potential, but admit I am very conservative in regard to investing, anywhere. Time will tell but at present I'm really enjoying getting to know somewhere new.
    Last edited by dlew; 26th May 2014 at 13:33.
    LivinLOS and Dkdude like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast