Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: technical question.......playing mp3 files

technical question.......playing mp3 files

The stereo in my new car doesn't have a USB port, but do have an AUX port on the back. Is it any way I can convert the AUX port into a USB port so I can play music from a thumb stick?? Is this possible just by a cable, or do I have to buy an I-pod or another playing device???
    I'm totally green on this, so any help appreciated.

Cheers
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Do you mean something like this....Don't think you can just plug a thumbdrive into that though, would need an ipod or similar. I just burn MP3 files on CDs.

Amazon.com: USB Female to AUX 3.5mm Male Jack Plug Audio Converter Adapter Data Charge Cable: Electroni

I hate CDs, take a lot of space and get easy scratched and broken........Looks like you found the cable I need, but now I'm not sure if my car stereo support it..........

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Do you mean something like this....Don't think you can just plug a thumbdrive into that though, would need an ipod or similar. I just burn MP3 files on CDs.

Amazon.com: USB Female to AUX 3.5mm Male Jack Plug Audio Converter Adapter Data Charge Cable: Electroni
    Its highly unlikely your average aux in (which is expecting a line level audio signal).. Is going to decode MP3s from that or that his thumb drive will 'play' through the USB.. Thats a specific connector there for a U drive connection.

If he just connects up his thumb drive headphone, outputting 100% (or 95% if it distorts) to the aux in on the stereo he should get playback easily. Of course play and transit controls then only on the thumb.

looks like I have to buy a thumb drive then........off to the radio shop now, will let you know how it worked out (if anyone understand what I want down town)
    Last edited by geir; 1st July 2014 at 23:11.

Back from the shop......the staff totally ignored my question and wanted to sell me a new CD player with USB port......fuck that. Will check it out next time in Phuket.

technical question.......playing mp3 files

What did you expect? Sales droids are idiots. You'll be better off buying online. The little USB to 3.5mm adapter is the solution.

I actually found a solution online for my specific car and stereo........will give it a try. Still not sure if I can use a thumb stick direct or if I need a playing device

The stick only holds the data - something needs to read it and play/output it to your AUX input.

OK, thanks......

Could be cheapest/best solution is to change the stereo for something cheap with USB?

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    Could be cheapest/best solution is to change the stereo for something cheap with USB?
    yeah, but it's a nice original Blaupunkt that fits the car.....Twice the size of a normal cd player and I don't want to buy an ugly rack

My car stereo has a audio cassette player, how cool is that.
    geir and Dkdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    My car stereo has a audio cassette player, how cool is that.
    8 track? Now there's quality...

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    yeah, but it's a nice original Blaupunkt that fits the car.....Twice the size of a normal cd player and I don't want to buy an ugly rack
    You're basically looking for a portable MP3 player that can read from USB stick (very hard to google without those all-in-one player/sticks coming up).

Amazon.com : SD/MMC/USB/MP3 Wireless In Car FM Transmitter with Remote (Black) : MP3 Players & Accessories

Something like that would be quite cheap to buy - transmits over FM so you just tune your car radio in.

geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    The stick only holds the data - something needs to read it and play/output it to your AUX input.
    I assumed he was using a thumbstick MP3 player..

Obviously there has to be a player in the setup.

Blaupunkt said there is an AUX port on the CD player, and that it can be used for a CD changer or another driver.......I'm lost at the moment, but will contact a Blaupunkt dealer as soon as I get to the real world........(Phuket or Bangkok that is)

Its simple mate.. The aux in is merely a line in.... You need to provide 'music' not MP3 data to that input.

So you need a MP3 player, playing the music files, and the output (headphone on the mp3) connected to the aux in of the stereo.

This is exactly how I have my car.. An ipod mounted on the dash, playing audio out to the stereo via the aux.
    geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    The stereo in my new car doesn't have a USB port, but do have an AUX port on the back. Is it any way I can convert the AUX port into a USB port so I can play music from a thumb stick?? Is this possible just by a cable, or do I have to buy an I-pod or another playing device???
    I'm totally green on this, so any help appreciated.

Cheers
    There are three options.

1. Get another playing device and use it through the AUX port.
    2. Burn MP3's to a CD and see if it will play it (you can get 200 MP3's onto a single CD, so less changing and if they break, just burn another copy).
    3. Get a new head unit with a USB port.

With my old Honda Integra I used option 2, with my current Nissan 200sx I used option 3... because the original Nissan head unit was so old, option 2 was wasn't possible.

Personally I hate using the AUX port because it requires me to keep another device and another cable and I need to take my eyes off the road to change songs.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast