Thread: airline change fees

airline change fees

obviously, i think the fact airlines can charge you 150usd( they do here in North America) is a rip off
    i don't dispute there should be change fees or they'd have people making reservations and cancelling them all the time
    but 150usd is ridiculous

Today, i called Copa Airlines to change the date of my return
    the lady was very pleasant but she actually couldn't even make the changes, she had to put me on hold to call a help desk and do so. although she is who you get patched to when you press you want to make changes
    so i literally was on the phone for 28mins, even though she answered right away, to change the date on my flight and have to pay 115usd for that!!

weird thing is they said i will have to pay at airport, i hung up the phone and told my guys at work "I am just going to argue my tits off at check-in" 555

Slightly off topic, but somewhat related is who actually pays those flexible flight rates? They are usually almost double the price of a regular ticket for the same flight but you can change w/out penalty. I see those rates and tell myself I will just eat the ticket if something prevents me from flying etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MassMoose View Post
    Slightly off topic, but somewhat related is who actually pays those flexible flight rates? They are usually almost double the price of a regular ticket for the same flight but you can change w/out penalty. I see those rates and tell myself I will just eat the ticket if something prevents me from flying etc.
    yeah, i always wonder

well, actually Cathay kind of fcuked us with the upgrades with those fares
    you used to be able to book a normal economy seat and upgrade with miles, now you have to book the flexible type economy
    so you have to pay say 1500 instead of 1200
    that is BS

Pretty standard stuff Paul and also to pay at airport. I doubt you will be flying if you refuse to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    Pretty standard stuff Paul and also to pay at airport. I doubt you will be flying if you refuse to pay
    just give a shot 555

but that was sort of point of my post
    i think it is crap that govt' allow the airlines to extort you like that

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    just give a shot 555

but that was sort of point of my post
    The complexity of all the variations to tickets is deffo a joke. Few people understand what all the rules and conditions are. All said general rule is the cheapest ticket has the worst conditions e.g fees for change or some no change at all etc. Full flex tickets are usually quite a bit more expensive

With work demands I'm forever changing flights so it's something I pay some attention to. With EVA who I fly most with you pay for change over the phone or at airport at check in

Airlines are making record profits with add-ons: fuel surcharge, meals, baggage, legroom, window seat etc. It's all part of a marketing strategy to bewilder and befuddle whilst ripping you off.

Incidentally, an Aussie mate booked a QANTAS Special to BKK via Brazil website and avoided a hefty fuel surcharge ... illegal add-on Brazil sites apparently.

Zuji offer far better pricing ex BKK than Thai, MAS or most Asian carriers do via their websites ... pays to shop around!
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    But more a case of pay the full service price then no ?? Or fly with an airline that doesnt nickle and dime you..

I am just as guilty.. I can fly BKK air or Air Asia with my CNX to PP hops.. Every time I book Air Asia they piss me off in some small but important way.. But I still find myself booking and going 'but its half the price' hoping this time it will just be smooth... Then when it isnt kicking myself I didnt spend the extra money as BKK air is always smooth (overweight luggage, never mind sir.. No queues.. Let me stroll into the VIP line and dont argue.. ask for a front row seat and they give it.. Etc etc).. AA might be half the price, but at what cost.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    But more a case of pay the full service price then no ?? Or fly with an airline that doesnt nickle and dime you..

I am just as guilty.. I can fly BKK air or Air Asia with my CNX to PP hops.. Every time I book Air Asia they piss me off in some small but important way.. But I still find myself booking and going 'but its half the price' hoping this time it will just be smooth... Then when it isnt kicking myself I didnt spend the extra money as BKK air is always smooth (overweight luggage, never mind sir.. No queues.. Let me stroll into the VIP line and dont argue.. ask for a front row seat and they give it.. Etc etc).. AA might be half the price, but at what cost.
    Copa is one of the biggest airlines in Latin America
    and all the major airlines charge the fee
    actually, it is the budget airlines like Southwest that don't have change fees

i wouldn't complain about the fee if the service to change the fee was efficient

i wasn't happy about paying 550 euro for return flights for 2 adults plus 1 infant with bangkok airways to samui. then recently the misses asked could i changed the dates. i sent bangkok airways a email on the saturday night explaining what i wanted done. by the time i woke sunday i had a reply saying no problem,once there is seats available.

within 1 hour i had changed flights with no charge and the person responding to the emails couldn't have been nicer. i doubt this would have happened with air asia and it took the sting out of paying the higher prices to samui.

I often pay for changeable flights in Europe (company does) so 400-450gbp for a flight is not unusual- that's an hour flying time !
    Flights when I'm paying I try to keep to under 2k

I checked the cost yesterday of changing my flights with Air Asia from Bangkok to Phnom Phen in Jan 2014. Original flight cost 74, cost to change dates, an extra 119.

Quote Originally Posted by jaynewcastle11 View Post
    I checked the cost yesterday of changing my flights with Air Asia from Bangkok to Phnom Phen in Jan 2014. Original flight cost 74, cost to change dates, an extra 119.
    That's just what you get for waiting 'til the last minute!