Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By K2
  • 1 Post By obes

Thread: Farang Fatigue.. Stick

  1. #1
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153

    Farang Fatigue.. Stick

    I must admit I dont usually read or follow Stick.. This got linked on Fakebook and I have to say it seems pretty on the mark.

    South-East Asia's Wind of Change and Farang Fatigue

    Makes me wonder how the current trends will leave things looking in the next 5 or 10 years.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I must admit I dont usually read or follow Stick.. This got linked on Fakebook and I have to say it seems pretty on the mark.

    South-East Asia's Wind of Change and Farang Fatigue

    Makes me wonder how the current trends will leave things looking in the next 5 or 10 years.
    What % of Thai's are Chinese anyway?

    I'm not sure it has gone as far as what some are saying. I would like to see what the situation is 6-12 months from now. I would also like to see how much the Junta really side with China at the expense of USA influence economically and militarily

    I've never been much a fan of Stickman, never much agreed with many of his observations

  3. #3
    K2
    K2 is offline
    Super Moderator K2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    What % of Thai's are Chinese anyway?
    14% according to Wikki

    Demographics of Thailand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Thing is that 14% are in the most prestigious socio-economic group, and have disproportionate influence.

    The decline of the standing/image of farang is on-going and real, as technology and a greater awareness generally of the realities that westerners have no real aura coupled with the emergence of a wealthy asian sub-set.

    Thailand has never been shy of changing allegiances - in fact they are more deft at it than Italians!
    geir, nelsonone, LivinLOS and 1 others like this.
    Its My Life .....!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The cold Wong
    Posts
    1,591
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post

    Thailand has never been shy of changing allegiances - in fact they are more deft at it than Italians!
    Does that mean any tanks they build have 6 reverse and 1 forward gear - as opposed to the I-ties 5 reverse and one forward 55555
    Dkdude likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member dontpanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,823
    A lot of what he refers to it no bad thing, cleaning up visa regulations is fine, it might level the playing field and if you want to stay get a proper visa, it's not like a lot of these people don't have the money they just don't want to do the paperwork or put up with the bureaucracy. I actually think a little of the opposite of farang fatigue is happening as a result of the Arab, Indian and Russian influx, the Thai's are realising how good they had it with the free spending if a little drunken farang. On the other hand farang's were probably getting Thai fatigue with the Arab etc influx into Thailand.

    What teaching regulations are changing in Vietnam? That's another thing that's probably no harm, everyone who speaks English thinks they can teach it, might make teaching a more attractive option for those that can actually do so.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    A lot of what he refers to it no bad thing, cleaning up visa regulations is fine, it might level the playing field and if you want to stay get a proper visa, it's not like a lot of these people don't have the money they just don't want to do the paperwork or put up with the bureaucracy. I actually think a little of the opposite of farang fatigue is happening as a result of the Arab, Indian and Russian influx, the Thai's are realising how good they had it with the free spending if a little drunken farang. On the other hand farang's were probably getting Thai fatigue with the Arab etc influx into Thailand.
    I have repeatedly said them making clear and consistent guidelines is entirely their right and no bad thing.

    I just hope they realize that by allowing the long term use of tourist visas in the past, thats where a large amount of the tourism revenue and the stepping stone to long term legality via marriage or work etc, have come from. If they remove it, then the implications for further down the road are lower numbers.

    Maybe thats what they want.

    What teaching regulations are changing in Vietnam? That's another thing that's probably no harm, everyone who speaks English thinks they can teach it, might make teaching a more attractive option for those that can actually do so.
    Sure.. As long as they are prepared to pay the appropriate wages for them.

    Pay peanuts.. Get...

  7. #7
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,630
    I am a judgemental snob..............I totally admit it. (although I a not rich enough to be a snob)

    Part of the reason I don't like to visit Thailand as much is because I do think there is a lot of low class tourist/expats

    BKK, we usually stay away from the p4p tourist areas(not that I am against them and still go) and go more to Thai area or places that have younger expats

    Also, I didn't see too many of these low class expats/tourist in Lamai

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    102
    "Parts of late-night downtown Bangkok are an open air whorehouse as white men carouse with country girls in makeshift streetside bars, all in breach of various laws."

    This isnt something thats "got out of line" the latest years. Surely its the other way round. This was "worse" in the past? Meaning; more open - in your face. Now its closing times, no nudity etc.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    "Parts of late-night downtown Bangkok are an open air whorehouse as white men carouse with country girls in makeshift streetside bars, all in breach of various laws."

    This isnt something thats "got out of line" the latest years. Surely its the other way round. This was "worse" in the past? Meaning; more open - in your face. Now its closing times, no nudity etc.
    I think with increasing tourist numbers is sort of spread more ??

    Its really hard to tell, as you look at it with different eyes at different periods in your own experience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •