Thread: Ever buy a motorbike in Bangkok?

Ever buy a motorbike in Bangkok?

Actually looking to buy a new one like a Yamaha whatever and looking for recommendations of dealers or wherever (such as big C ) and also what to buy. My favorite was always the Nuovo for under seat storage or the Mio as easy to carry purchases like grocery on the running board between feet, but I am not really sure anymore, it's been a while since I've done anything other than rent what is available. Any suggestions on either front are appreciated. Just for rolling around the neighborhood here near Sathorn, no long hauls across town etc.

Thanks, Robaht

I have the Click125i, which is the same motor as the PCX use to have. Solid as a rock. Has the flat bottom design so it's good for hauling a few bags of groceries or a case of... something. The Mio seems to be about the same.

I'll be looking to sell off the Click soon though... gonna go to a PCX. If you are a bigger guy, you may look like a bear on a bicycle on a Click or Mio. The only down sides to a PCX are no flat bottom where the feet are (though much more room under seat) and it's not quite as easy to park in really tight places where a click or Mio would easily fit (mall parking comes to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Actually looking to buy a new one like a Yamaha whatever and looking for recommendations of dealers or wherever (such as big C ) and also what to buy. My favorite was always the Nuovo for under seat storage or the Mio as easy to carry purchases like grocery on the running board between feet, but I am not really sure anymore, it's been a while since I've done anything other than rent what is available. Any suggestions on either front are appreciated. Just for rolling around the neighborhood here near Sathorn, no long hauls across town etc.

Thanks, Robaht
    You should sign on to TD forum and ask Dean(Chob) or Brizof
    They do trips up to BKK to the auctions and get really nice bikes

Or I can ask Dean for his email and give it to you........I am sure he'd help you with info

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I'll be looking to sell off the Click soon though... gonna go to a PCX. If you are a bigger guy, you may look like a bear on a bicycle on a Click or Mio. The only down sides to a PCX are no flat bottom where the feet are (though much more room under seat) and it's not quite as easy to park in really tight places where a click or Mio would easily fit (mall parking comes to mind).
    I can attest that the PCX can also slide about 125 yards down a hill on it's side and still be running when you go to pick it up 555

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I can attest that the PCX can also slide about 125 yards down a hill on it's side and still be running when you go to pick it up 555
    Were you still running?

Be warned BKK is a nightmare for driving motorbikes, the traffic is truly insane. The police constant stopping you for trumped up charges and document checks was an unbelievable pain in the ass as well and it was a daily occurrence no matter where you went

PCX150 would probably be my choice of scooter although I do like the style and gismos you can get for the Honda Zoomer

You can fit three slabs on a Click - one on a PCX if you have broad shoulders (or you drive very slowly).
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

I would usually say PCX (the 150 has a lot more go than you would expect) but if your going through BKK traffic narrow bar are massively helpful.. Theres a reason all the mocyc taxis have sonics with clip ons.

BKK: I would get a Click with shortened mirrors. Or a Mio 125 if i could fit on one.. (great power in those)

Yeah the Mio 125 is the fastest scooter I ever had....a bit small but plenty of power for Viking sized people.........
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Thanks for the tips and advice. I think I have the best solution: I'm going to rent a Click for 3,500 for one month and see how it goes, then either keep renting or go to one of the auctions mentioned above (the rental place offers a 3,000 service that gets all the papers done and maintenance check after you buy it, might be expensive or not, but sounds hassle free and that is what I would want). I will let you know how it goes! Cheers, Robaht
    Last edited by Robaht; 6th September 2014 at 20:00.