Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Is your thai wife/gf a good traveller?

Is your thai wife/gf a good traveller?

We have talked about this before, but just wondering how your tg is about travelling?

I will be going on my 2nd holiday without her this year and it is simply because she won't try new things when travelling. I have a great time with my friend that i travel with but it would be great if she would open up and try new things.

This trip we are going to be roughing it part of the time in Colombia, hiking a couple hours and sleeping on the beach. So that was out of the question for her.

Just simple things like being up in Alberta in these gorgreous mountains but she refuses to go for a nice walk with the dog. A walk people would die to be able to visit and do

I had a nice talk with her the other night on how i hope she will open up her mind more so we can visit all these new places together but i work way too hard to not do what i want to do on holiday.
    I don't mind doing one holiday she wants and then one i want to do per year, but i am afraid when we go on the one i want, she will ruin it by acting like a child because we are doing things that she doesn't care for.
    But they are normal things that people do all the time. Walking around a historic city, going for a small hike to see a great view. just things like that
    And even if we were to go to Paris, as she wants to go, i know that she will bitch and moan that she has to walk all over a beautiful new city.

Travel is a very important part of my life, something i really enjoy. So i want to be able to share those experiences with her, but I am afraid she will never open up her mind

any suggestions?

Like i mentioned next year possibly going to Beunos Aires and Argentina and i got a shrug. My thought it to educate her on how nice it is there, but I think that goes in one and out the other

If you don't marry a nature lover you are screwed. Luckily my ex loves to camp and hike. She loved to plan and prepare and pack. Buying maps and studying them weeks ahead. We camped all over the South West and California every summer. That is the one thing I really miss about her...... and ummm...the morning BJs..

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    If you don't marry a nature lover you are screwed. Luckily my ex loves to camp and hike. She loved to plan and prepare and pack. Buying maps and studying them weeks ahead. We camped all over the South West and California every summer. That is the one thing I really miss about her...... and ummm...the morning BJs..
    but it is not like i am trying to full on camp
    Colombia- it is a moderate 90min-2hr hike to a gorgeous beach and you rent the tent there
    Panama- a jeep volcano trek. the jeep takes you almost to the top and you walk 45mins to see an incredible views above the clouds, she'd have no interest

hell, she said she wants to have a BBQ at our apartment with her friends. I suggested we have a BBQ on the beach, mountains overlooking it, just a great setting for living in BC. she has no appreciation for that

you want to know the kicker? which i knew was inevitable
    apparently her taking a 5 week holiday to Thailand doesn't count for a holiday so i am getting the "poor me, you are going on holiday and i am not not" now

i know LIL has recommended doing things they like. with his wife doing things that involved animals
    but bottom line, my wife sucks to travel with

Boston-"her dream" to go to. started to complain after walked through thr city for 20mins

i can't think of any place i could bring her that she'd be happy with

Why doesn't she like to go on hikes? Is it just the Thai mentality that walking is foolish ingrained in her upbringing? Did she ever visit ruins in thailand? There's a fair amount of challenging foot work especially in Ayuthaia. (sp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Why doesn't she like to go on hikes? Is it just the Thai mentality that walking is foolish ingrained in her upbringing? Did she ever visit ruins in thailand? There's a fair amount of challenging foot work especially in Ayuthaia. (sp)
    we went to Ayutthaya.........the whole family sat in a parking lot eating while i walked the grounds!!

I've not had the chance really to travel as such with my gf, but she wants to see alot more of the UK when she can afford the time off work. Recently we've been around to some lovely beauty spots and she has loved climbing up the rocks and just sitting and taking in the views and surroundings, made me kind of appreciate what i've had around me all of my life and not really noticing it. So shes not scared of walking and barely moans! Off to a big UK theme park soon with lots of rollercoasters etc 4 hour drive so will be the furthest we've been away together! 55

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    we went to Ayutthaya.........the whole family sat in a parking lot eating while i walked the grounds!!
    Agree with all the things you are saying, and totally lived the experience you mention here about the parking lot. I don't know what the answer is either, they are like sulky teenagers yet the whole time they are likely tweeting or facebooking how cool it is where they are..LOL..Then you say let's try this cool new place, no, I'm tired, I want to eat Thai food, go sleep - and we are in Hong Kong on a Friday night, first time she was ever there! Seriously I don't get it either. I might need to find a new gf!!!

We are heading up on Thursday for 3 nights camping in the Sierra National Forest south of Yosemite. Nok is excited, wants to swim in the river go on hikes etc. She may change her mind when she realizes the water is 60 degrees F. All in all though she has been talking about it for weeks like a little kid. She likes watching Les Stroud on survivor man, I think she thinks its going to be something like that, which is encouraging as I expect it will be slightly more civilized.

Truth be told, her village farm is probably a rougher 3 day weekend than camping in the California mountains in the summer.555
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Agree with all the things you are saying, and totally lived the experience you mention here about the parking lot. I don't know what the answer is either, they are like sulky teenagers yet the whole time they are likely tweeting or facebooking how cool it is where they are..LOL..Then you say let's try this cool new place, no, I'm tired, I want to eat Thai food, go sleep - and we are in Hong Kong on a Friday night, first time she was ever there! Seriously I don't get it either. I might need to find a new gf!!!
    Obviosuly a genralization but i think it applies to a good amount of thai girls and i think it has to do with the way they are taught in school, whihc doesn't promote curiousity
    i am in now ways trying to bash thai girls
    this is starting to be an issue for me and definitely frustrating

i am just trying to understand the pysche

Could just be woman in general tho' ....however in a cross cultural relationship....just amplified.

Just different upbringings with normal male/female dynamics thrown in.

Which guy likes to watch soaps but universally the world over the gals love 'em
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 26th June 2013 at 03:28.

Ah the good old parking lot.Last year in Ayuthaya and Sukothai she did the same with her cousin. You go we wait here. After you return they want to see pictures and have to tell them what you saw and then you say something and get a comment like cannot. Yes honey can information board says so. No cannot this thailand i thai i know cannot. Sigh conversation ends there cause she is thai and she knows all about i even if she never saw it up personal. Now she wants to visit Venice Italy. she thinks she doesnt have to walk overthere only hab water somust take boat. No honey also walk. Cannot i see thai tv venice only water. Sigh again.
    Stress is when you wake up screaming realizing you weren't sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by NOM1S View Post
    Off to a big UK theme park soon with lots of rollercoasters etc 4 hour drive so will be the furthest we've been away together! 55
    Alton Towers at a guess? Top place!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine"

Winston Churchill 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Podders View Post
    Alton Towers at a guess? Top place!
    Yup couple of weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by beuk View Post
    Ah the good old parking lot.Last year in Ayuthaya and Sukothai she did the same with her cousin. You go we wait here. .
    i'd have no problem with say going to Ecuador with her
    she doesn't want to do great hikes or whatnot, i will sort of alternate. one day i go out on my own, the next day we find things she wants to do
    but the things she wants to do are so limited
    then on the days i do my own thing, i would get "i'm boring"

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    We are heading up on Thursday for 3 nights camping in the Sierra National Forest south of Yosemite. Nok is excited, wants to swim in the river go on hikes etc. She may change her mind when she realizes the water is 60 degrees F. All in all though she has been talking about it for weeks like a little kid. She likes watching Les Stroud on survivor man, I think she thinks its going to be something like that, which is encouraging as I expect it will be slightly more civilized.

Truth be told, her village farm is probably a rougher 3 day weekend than camping in the California mountains in the summer.555
    This is what I was thinking. If a girl comes from a village it is just like camping or worse...55

Poor Marc26 married a city girl...55

I couldn't be arsed going camping or treking or hiking, neither could my wife, guess that's why we get on. 55

I you said to me " it's a hour 2 hour walk to get to some nice beach' i'd say enjoy your self, i won't coming.

We live/ lived in some of the nicest beach areas around, surf and sand as far as you can see, but it's only 50 metres from the front door, that's enough hiking for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get her a donkey. Sorted.

I have some of the same issues... but if I point out "You know, we came a long way to see this, and we probably wont be back again" then I can often guilt her into things. I doubt it would work on a 2 hour uphill hike, but just walking around the ruins in Ayutthaya wasnt an issue. I have only had to do it once in 2 years and now it slips my mind where it was.

That said, I dont think she'd ever want to hike somewhere. She could walk the entire length of the Sunday market here (a few hours maybe), but wouldnt hike 10 minutes.

As for traveling, mine does well. If going by car she sleeps often (of course), but she doesnt ask for hourly breaks and quietly looks out the window at the countryside when she's awake. If going by plane, she's fascinated and is glued to the window (except for taking off, which she closes her eyes for). She seems to really like seeing new places, so she likes taking trips.

But it's funny, I had a bit of a similar issue as you recently, Pauly... we took a day ride (maybe 6 hours) on a friend's ninja. It's a smaller, firmer, vibrating (high revs) bike and afterwards she swore she would never again get on the thing. A week later, me and a buddy took our 3 day ride around the north & to Nan, then back. She said 3 times departure day "Why are you going away and leaving me here by myself?". It was asked jokingly, but there was a bit of barb to it. Silly, cuz I knew she had ZERO interest in being on a motorcycle again so soon... yet she still kinda whined about not going.

I think it's all about meeting in the middle in some instances. I know for sure there are things the she-wok would just NOT want to do. A hike would be pretty high up on the list. She's ok with going to an aerobics class, but in general physical exertion isnt her thing. She'll clean and do laundry daily, cook, go to class and do homework... she isnt lazy. But when it comes to something like hiking, I know I can forget it.

She does like to explore... she likes to see new places (and get tons of pictures of herself in that new place). But the amount of physical exertion has to be limited. Knowing that, I try to plan accordingly.
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 26th June 2013 at 08:56.

Ever considered (generalising) it might be because they normally do not travel anywhere, also its too ferking humid to walk very far, so again not done??

My office is about 500 metres from my apartment, I walked to work on Monday, every 5 metres a different local was coming out to see me and asking why I'm walking??? What that was even more bizarre to me was, other Farang quite often walk around the village for exercise, so its not like seeing a farang walking is such an unusual thing, but unusual seeing me walking I suppose?? I also had no explanation to give to them either, I walked simply because I wanted to!!!5555
    WarProfiteer likes this.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast