Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By billpay
  • 4 Post By kris-one
  • 4 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Customer Service compared to US

Customer Service compared to US

In September went to the US for a few weeks for the first time in five years. I don't think I'll do a trip report, but there is one thing that I want to talk about, and that is the quality of service between here and the US.
    I spent most of my time in Vegas, which is a service oriented city, but was truly surprised just how terrific I thought the service EVERYWHERE was. In Thailand you do get the friendly smile of service staff most of the time, but the true quality of the service is really lacking. In Vegas the service was really top notch with KNOWLEDGEABLE staff at every beck and call.
    My wife was actually blown away by how well she was treated.Her biggest surprise was she was never given the once over when entering any nice retail establishment as she is in Thailand.
    She always said that in any of the upscale malls in Bangkok and to a lesser extent, PHuket, the wait staff would make a judgement whether you had money or not and then possibly wait on her.
    She could not believe how friendly and helpful the staff on all the US store she frequented, from first entering the store until the final sale.
    Oh, one other thing that she was stunned by was the returning of items to the store. Absolutely no problem to return just about anything for just about any reason....what a concept. 55555
    Anyway, really helped make it a great trip.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Hell, just come over the border to Vancouver and you can realize the difference
    Vancouver's customer service is appallingly bad in every way in every industry

To me, US has the best customer service anywhere I have been.......and doubly so in restaurants, bars and hotels

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    In September went to the US for a few weeks for the first time in five years. I don't think I'll do a trip report, but there is one thing that I want to talk about, and that is the quality of service between here and the US.
    I spent most of my time in Vegas, which is a service oriented city, but was truly surprised just how terrific I thought the service EVERYWHERE was. In Thailand you do get the friendly smile of service staff most of the time, but the true quality of the service is really lacking. In Vegas the service was really top notch with KNOWLEDGEABLE staff at every beck and call.
    My wife was actually blown away by how well she was treated.Her biggest surprise was she was never given the once over when entering any nice retail establishment as she is in Thailand.
    She always said that in any of the upscale malls in Bangkok and to a lesser extent, PHuket, the wait staff would make a judgement whether you had money or not and then possibly wait on her.
    She could not believe how friendly and helpful the staff on all the US store she frequented, from first entering the store until the final sale.
    Oh, one other thing that she was stunned by was the returning of items to the store. Absolutely no problem to return just about anything for just about any reason....what a concept. 55555
    Anyway, really helped make it a great trip.
    Your wife is a well and proper 'smoke show' Bill. Dresses well, beautiful, and posture ect..

You shouldn't be surprised in the least that see was well received here in the states.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

As for how your wife feels in Thailand
    I think there is a lot of truth in that.....tons really
    I honestly dont think Thai people treat each other very well.

But I do think there is a bit of self conscious there from our wives too. It comes from the system they grew up in where they are expected to feel lower than others.

My wife used to be self conscious with those situationsbut now, she has lost that. Evident is her plans to head to one of the higher end hotels with her son for New Years Brunch and other things like that.
    I think her attitude now is if people in Canada and the US can treat her with respect, than the hell with the snobs in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Hell, just come over the border to Vancouver and you can realize the difference
    Vancouver's customer service is appallingly bad in every way in every industry

To me, US has the best customer service anywhere I have been.......and doubly so in restaurants, bars and hotels
    And there's me thinking how great service is in Canada... what is bad about it? I always find people so friendly... overly so in a lot of cases... even the expat US hosts show you around Vancouver without complaint.. 55

Last night I stayed in what could have been a lovely well built hotel on the banks of the mekhong..

Totally ruined by the whole staff being surly, everything being too much trouble and just flat out rude..

..and no fucking real coffee..

Will do a little tr in a couple of days..

I hear customer service in the US in general is pretty outstanding.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Last night I stayed in what could have been a lovely well built hotel on the banks of the mekhong..

Totally ruined by the whole staff being surly, everything being too much trouble and just flat out rude..

..and no fucking real coffee..

Will do a little tr in a couple of days..
    And I had the exact different experience at a similar Doem Bang, Ao's village
    The family was absolutely superb.......really just made our stay
    The dad was educated and worked in the States, but the whole family Mom and 2 kids were just fantastic

Hey it happens.. Everyone else we met in the town was super friendly.. Fat old matrons having a laugh with and at the crazy farang.. All those good vibe jokes.. Just a shame the place we stayed was run by grinches.

Customer Service compared to US

Whilst the States is generally good I have had quite a few instances of wanting to just say... Let me eat my frigging meal in peace! Being over bearing is just as annoying as being moody I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    And there's me thinking how great service is in Canada... what is bad about it? I always find people so friendly... overly so in a lot of cases... even the expat US hosts show you around Vancouver without complaint.. 55
    Perfect example
    Guy on my desk just went to one of the most popular coffee shops in Vancouver at 7:40am
    They basically freaked out he wanted 5 coffees, at a coffee shop at 7:40am on a weekday!
    Stuff like this happens daily in Van

^ yep..too much attention is almost as bad as not enough

but to be fair..my experience is that in the better more upmarket restaurants the service offered in the US is way ahead of anywhere else I have been...and that's over 100 countries

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Perfect example
    Guy on my desk just went to one of the most popular coffee shops in Vancouver at 7:40am
    They basically freaked out he wanted 5 coffees, at a coffee shop at 7:40am on a weekday!
    Stuff like this happens daily in Van
    Better not come to England then... 55

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Whilst the States is generally good I have had quite a few instances of wanting to just say... Let me eat my frigging meal in peace! Being over bearing is just as annoying as being moody I reckon.
    It's your funny accent Kris. We just want to be close to you..55
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Nothing wrong with customer service in the UK after all...

BBC News - Swiss Cottage Tesco staff tell blind woman to 'get dog out'

A blind woman was left "horrified" and "distressed" when staff at Tesco in north London shouted at her to get her guide dog out.

Maya Makri, 39, was in the Swiss Cottage shop 10 days after moving to the capital when she was told "never come back".

She said three cashiers shouted "no pets allowed" and to leave the shop.
    Tesco said: "This clearly should never have happened and we will contact Ms Makri directly to apologise."

^ There was a bloody big sign up saying NO DOGS ALLOWED...is she bloody blind!....555
    Dkdude, mjwx, DakotaKid and 1 others like this.

I've never experienced service as good as it is in the US. If I was in a service oriented business I would probably fork out the $$$ to send the staff there on a trip just to experience what we should be providing.

I must say out of the few Asian countries I have visited, Vietnam is quite good. Very attentive and generally eager to please.

Has anyone else experienced that surly, pouting behavior that seems to happen in Thailand in any other country?
    Of course it happens anywhere, but I don't think I've experienced it as much or often as I do in Thailand

Colombia, the service was super slow but pleasant. But we knew no reason to get mad to wait 10mins for your beer to come because that was going to happen more than not
    LivinLOS likes this.

Just got back from a whirlwind trip in the states and yes, every time I go back (generally once per year) I am overall impressed with service levels at most places. Not saying crap doesnt go wrong, but when it does it's the perverbial one in a hundred thing. I took my folks out to a nicer restaurant with a balcony overlooking the beach. There were multiple tables of hot gals around us, some of whom were wearing very little as they'd obviously just finished their beach day and come up for an evening meal before heading home. Our waiter was a decent enough guy, but the apetizer never came out and the drinks didnt come out until the rest of meal did. I couldnt help but notice the long periods of time he'd spend at the tables conversing with the ladies though.

I didnt get mad, just left a 5% tip & asked him to remove the apetizer as it never made it to the table. COuldnt really blame the guy as I probably would've done the same back in the day.

But overall, yes, the service levels are so much better... hell, even at fast food joints they speak politely most of the time.