Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By nelsonone
  • 6 Post By WarProfiteer

Thread: Thai's obsession with food

Thai's obsession with food

Billpay brought up a point in his Stickman interview that I am very familiar with.

He mentioned that he allows his staff to eat any Thai food they want and that it makes them happy.

My wife works at a Thai restaurant and they are given a meal after every shift. Since she works 2 shifts 4 days a week, she eats almost all her meals there.
    They had a chef last year that was a prima donna and just a total dick and he started fcuking with their after shift meals, cooking the same thing every day and there was almost a mass revolt!
    And within the Thai restaurant community here, there is always talk of what restaurant feeds their staff the best.
    Now, I think that is a nice perk and something we'd all think of us a bonus but part of me thought it was a little ridiculous that they were going to quit their jobs over what free food they get.

Bill also mentioned eating a meal together is how they socialize and I find that endearing.
    But don't a lot of our cultures do the same thing......maybe not as much though

But I still struggle with their obsession of their food.
    Part of me thinks it is awesome and I would say where I come from has a big food identity so I understand it also but part of me think it is a bit too much.
    I go down to Latin America and you just don't see the same identity they have with their food that Thailand and most of Asia has(and I do think it is Asia wide) and I find something a bit lacking......like they should have that identity with their food.

And whenever we go somewhere new I always research good Thai food for my wife to try. She is good in that she will eat pretty much any western food and likes a lot of it, I think she just likes to try new places out and see if they are authentic

Overall I think it is a good thing but sometimes I do think it is a bit too much..............

Her not be able to go 3 hours without food will always drive me bananas though 555

I think if you take away a Thai person's food and their need not to eat alone then you basically take away their Thainess

If this particular facet about Thai people really bothers someone then you have definitely chosen the person from the wrong country. One thing you must never do is fock with their need for Thai food

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    One thing you must never do is fock with their need for Thai food

yep....makes 'em "hangry".....hungry and angry together....not something you wanna be on the wrong end of too often 555
    snowy, WarProfiteer and Dkdude like this.

Mine works in a Thai restaurant owned and run by Lao people. I think she could find much better employment, but she enjoys the work, and I think the chance to eat good Thai food everyday is part of that.

What I find amusing is the way she (and other Thais) look down their noses a bit at people from other SEA countries like somehow Thais are more elite. People from Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, the PI are ghetto, they like to drink and gamble too much, they'll spend $1k on a LV purse but live in a shitty house, etc. I've seen the same "qualities" in Thais.

I'd have to agree w/ Gee... it's just something I take as part & parcel of the whole deal. On the upside, because she feels food is so important, she'll wake up early to cook me some bacon & eggs before heading off for school. I've told her I can easily sleep in and just go buy breakfast from any one of a dozen good places that serve breakfast, but she wont have it. "Not same" she says, as if she were stating a stupidly obvious truth.

I also learned to translate her states of hungriness into a decision making matrix.

Not hungry = situation good, no action required

"little bit" hungry = seek snack food or start to make decision on where to go to eat soon

Hungry = drop whatever the hell you're doing and go obtain food quickly

very hungry = she literally thinks she will die soon and it will be your fault... avoid this state at all costs because it WILL be remembered

Once you understand the rules, it is so much easier to deal with it...
    Pablo, Waharoa, stupscott and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    yep....makes 'em "hangry".....hungry and angry together....
    I have heard that a lot over the last few weeks but I didn't twig what it meant. Now I know to feed her. Cheers Nels. 55555

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I also learned to translate her states of hungriness into a decision making matrix.

Not hungry = situation good, no action required

"little bit" hungry = seek snack food or start to make decision on where to go to eat soon

Hungry = drop whatever the hell you're doing and go obtain food quickly

very hungry = she literally thinks she will die soon and it will be your fault... avoid this state at all costs because it WILL be remembered

Once you understand the rules, it is so much easier to deal with it...
    Now that's fcuking funny...and true!