Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Android 5.0 Lollipop review

Android 5.0 Lollipop review

Android 5.0 Lollipop review: Google's biggest mobile update in years

by Brad Molen | @phonewisdom | 1 hr ago

Android 5.0 Lollipop review: Google's biggest mobile update in years

Not got the OTA update yet.. I remember it being slow to roll out to Thailand last time.. If it's not picking it up by next week I will push the image manually..

I am liking using Kit Kat so may put off getting this update until I am sure there are real benefits.

All the reviews say it's a huge step up..

And with the major apps going through UI changes to material design think it will be far less uniform to stay.

Wait for the .01 update, as always a safer way to go. Seems the initial reviews were overly enthusiastic.

Android Lollipop update causes problems
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30116319#

I read this is the 0.1 as the very first rollout had some wifi / battery drain issue and thats why it was held a week..

Good thing with android though is if you dont like the update.. roll back.. Not like I can with my ipad.

Will a rooted and flashed phone (flashed the Moto G to the GPE to try it out but flashed back to the original OS) still receive OTA of the update ?

My understanding is..

If the ROM you put back on is a fully stock rom.. Then yes, if and when the update is put out OTA, you should / will get it..

However if your running a custom ROM in any way, even a little from stock.. you dont match the signature to pick it up.. So ensure its the correct manufacturer rom not just something from XDA..

Lollipop is a huge 'feel' upgrade to me.. HUGE.. But isnt without issues.. I leave my phone in fully silent mode all the time, no ringer and only visual notification updates.. They removed silent mode as part of this whole notifications change (which is a great change IMO, the way you can set notification behavior and priority is very useful and powerful) and you have to use a slightly different way to do what I do.. I have read the 5.1.0 changlog is adding that back due to user complaint.

Also when I first got the OTA update I had issues with notifications and stock apps (gmail etc) simply not getting synced right.. I was getting big delays in getting messages (days after with whatsapp) and a few things didnt work perfectly.. I did a full reset, and it then auto pulled in my apps, and after the reset it solved all of those.. But there was a few days of being a bit confused.. I would suggest possibly factory resetting after the update (it pulls your apps back from the play store) as its also a good time to go through and cull unused apps and set up what you do like how you like..

Theres some fine tuning that I think will happen.. A couple of UI quirks I have found that are not seamless, but overall the evolution of android to these cards and the swipe actions are all becoming so much more cohesive as a UI.. Its feels' much cleaner to use..

Also.. Little pet peeve.. Having just gone through and done an end of year cull of old and dead contacts etc...

What is it with people, using android, hence a google account... Who dont put in avatars and public contact data to the linked google plus account ?? Or even pictures of dogs and stuff as the profile avatar..

Dont they understand that the google plus public data is what then syncs to everyones dailers under the contact handling ?? This is the image seen when using hangouts, chats, phoning, video conf, etc etc etc.. I understand the over 60s like my mum might not see the need for a decent online contact page presentation.. But really tech aware people leaving that data blank or just not thinking about it when they set it up.. Thats what the world sees when you call or interact with them, sort it out with a clear decent mugshot !!

1) Yes it was a stock ROM I pulled off xda so will keep an eye for the Lollipop upgrade which is rolling out now.

2) Guilty as charged, will add a piccy to my Google +
    LivinLOS likes this.

If your going to be, or recently flashed.. Are the factory images not released the same way as they do with nexus ones ??

Surely xda has one ??

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    2) Guilty as charged, will add a piccy to my Google +
    Not only that.. shows through so many other non phone places too.. Gmail on desktop, hangouts, etc etc.. When I get an email from someone thats the gmail avatar built in.. All based from the plus profile.

EDIT :: Another 'odd feature' borderline bug IMO is even with your google account properly on the phone, you need to open the google plus app one time, to get it to make that first log in, to auto sync your avatar.. IMO it should be doing that anyway stright in android without needing to open the app once.. After thats done avatars are used for 'owner' and 'guest' access on the phone in the top left of the notifications bar. I think once people start realizing that avatar on the phone is linked to plus is then public facing contact info.. We will see more people handling it like a facebook profile pic rather than the afterthought it now is.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 23rd December 2014 at 13:42.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    If your going to be, or recently flashed.. Are the factory images not released the same way as they do with nexus ones ??

Surely xda has one ??
    No factory images last time I checked a few days ago. The OTA is available now for Moto G on the Brazilian ROM but I am on the Asia Rom so will have to either flash the Brazilian ROM or wait a while.
    Last edited by soupdragon; 23rd December 2014 at 14:00.

I meant a factory of the OTA ?? Surprised if its been rolled out it isnt packaged on XDA..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I meant a factory of the OTA ?? Surprised if its been rolled out it isnt packaged on XDA..
    Edited at the same time you were posting. Yes xda are usually pretty quick to get new images out there but nothing yet for the Moto G (1st Gen).

Finally the OTA became available on xda. Long story short, several attempts to flash it failed, used CWM,TWRP and stock recovery but kept getting errors and abort. Had to reflash the stock ROM so removing root before the OTA would install. Now on 5.0.2.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Had my doubts about switching to a new OS before the bugs were worked out but having used it for a while they were unfounded.

It isn't without bugs, I have a "no Internet' warning permanently on when using wifi but I have a good connection, that was supposed to have been fixed on 5.0.1 but is still present, I have read that the warning means you are not connected to Google servers, not sure what that means but anyway the wifi works just fine.

Overall it is slick and I am getting improved battery life, well worth the upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by soupdragon; 27th January 2015 at 08:09.

I didnt get that..

I hated the lack of silent mode initially.. I keep my phone totally silent 95% of the time and call back missed callers I want to talk to.. I do recognize that the priority notifications is more powerful, and now have it so it work how I like (some phone numbers will ring, others still silent, apps still silent) but it wasnt so intuitive and theres a couple of UI clunkers (when setting none priority all with volume.. Why does the back button not close it like EVERY other setting).. But the materiel design system wide updates, new dialer, etc all so much nicer..

I have to say, I don't know how you guys do it, your fully committed to the open o/s, but put up with the shit service and messing around, just trying to get the software and mostly it's crap when you finally get it, if you can on your device that is.

This wonderful world is still mostly populated by something like 49% of o/s thats 3-4 years old because the devices it's designed for don't support it.

https://developer.android.com/about/...rds/index.html

now the best version ever can't even get listed on the dashboard because it doesn't even have 0.1% installed.

i do use android (daily), I hate the fact, I can't get ota updates and run the latest o/s,on my devices ( galaxy tab and htc M8) i've got numerous IOS devices with the latest software and they all run fine, (including the same iPad that LOS moans about constantly), my Macbook 2008 still runs on the latest o/s without any trouble.

I try to be neutral on this debate, (no one will ever agree), but some of you guys preach the beauty of the thing, but don't see the forest through the trees.

That's hardly a fair comparison. IOS is for devices from one manufacturer, how many manufacturers does Android support ? In addition all Google devices get the OS as soon as it is released, other manufactures have to 'tweek' the software for their own range, of course that takes time.

I don't own and Apple devices so can't really make a direct comparison but I hardly think Android is shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast