Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Thailand, Deadly Destination

Thailand, Deadly Destination

A well researched and balanced article it's not, TAT has pretty good grounds for libel I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    A well researched and balanced article it's not, TAT has pretty good grounds for libel I reckon.
    Are you suggesting that the bastion of journalistic integrity, the Daily Mail would dare to write a cliche laden, innuendo based, libelous and horribly inaccurate article?

Surely you jest, sir.
    soupdragon and dontpanic like this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Hold on a minute, he lived there for 3 years mate. 555

Please note that the author of the book is not the same as the writer of the article. They do share a common interest, though, getting readers, and one way to get those is to exaggerate. I do not know whom of the two is behind the quote below, but surely both those here for and those here against the coup can agree that this is not true:

"As well as the murder of two British backpackers in mid-September, there was a bloody military coup earlier this year."

It is not even an exaggeration, it is simply a lie.

Also, the author sort of equate the number of deaths with murder. But surely most of them die from natural causes or accidents or suicide (real suicide). Just look at the commotion the two killed at Koh Tao caused, and ask yourself why the 300-400 deaths of British citizens a year does not lead to heavy press coverage.

And those citizens include expats that die of old age and tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    ..... but surely both those here for and those here against the coup can agree that this is not true:

"As well as the murder of two British backpackers in mid-September, there was a bloody military coup earlier this year."

It is not even an exaggeration, it is simply a lie. ......
    Nope, you just misunderstood their use of the word bloody ... clearly they meant it simply as an adjective since the coup involved no bloodshed. 555

There was a snake in my backyard today and he was a bloody big bastard to. I get them coming in all the bloody time now cause the bloody council is bloody hopeless and refuse to clean up the bloody parkland land across the road. It's a bloody disgrace. Stuffed if I should wait for the next bloody election we should have a bloody coup and throw the bloody useless bastards out now.

Enjoy
    Waharoa likes this.

No way do I feel unsafe in Thailand, not even close.

But the more I think about it, I have had better interactions with Thais than in most most countries but thinking about it I have also had my worse interactions with Thais than any other country also.

I don't know what that says....

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    ... I have also had my worse interactions with Thais than any other country also.

I don't know what that says....
    That you haven't been to bloody France 555
    tnlawyer, Waharoa, Dkdude and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Hold on a minute, he lived there for 3 years mate. 555
    Sounds like he lived in the Bangkok Hilton.
    snowy likes this.

Thailand, Deadly Destination

^ Is that like the Bangkok Bed & Breakfast? 55

Definitely a biased hit piece - both the book and the article. Following simple courtesy, such as not insulting the locals while falling down drunk, should be sufficient for anyone to enjoy a nice vacation. (No idea what provoked the killing of the two British tourists recently, but alcohol was certainly involved.)

That's probably one of the funniest things I've read on this forum. Well played. 55

I keep thinking of this and maybe because I have been to Thailand a lot more than other places but I have had problems in Thailand that I just blow off because I can handle them
    But I have had a decent bit

LB's trying to start a fight with my wife and I for no reason
    LB's everywhere on beach road getting physically close to me when my hotel was on beach road
    A bg trying to bottle me when I politely declined her advances at a BBQ stall
    Our car being keyed in Singburi disco parking lot
    Getting money stolen(only 1k baht) walking to 7-11 in BKK

None of this is even close to "deadly" but the more I think about it, I have way more trouble in Thailand than any other country, where I have had none

but Paulie.....your a fighter....not a lover.....555

France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from those drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes."

Mark Twain

------------------------------

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."

General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."

Norman Schwarzkopf

“We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it.”

Marge Simpson

“As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure.”

Jacques Chirac, President of France

“The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee.”

Regis Philbin

“You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it.”

Unamed U.S. Senator

“The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag.”

David Letterman

“Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada .”

Ted Nugent

“War without Francewould be like World War II.”

Unknown

“The favorite bumper sticker in Washington D.C.right now is one that says 'First Iraq , then France ’.''

Tom Brokaw

“What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?”

Dennis Miller

“It is important to remember that the French have always been there when they needed us.”

Alan Kent

-----------------------------

“They've taken their own precautions against al-Qa'ida. To prepare for an attack, each Frenchman is urged to keep duct tape, a white flag, and a three-day supply of mistresses in the house.”

Argus Hamilton

“Somebody was telling me about the French Army rifle that was being advertised on eBay the other day. The description was, 'Never shot. Dropped once’.''

Rep. Roy Blunt, MO

“The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found truffles in Iraq .”

Dennis Miller

Q. What did the mayor of Paris say to the German Army as they entered the city in WWII?

A. Table for 100,000 m'sieur?

“Do you know how many Frenchmen it takes to defend Paris ? It's not known, it's never been tried.”

Rep. R. Blount, MO

“Do you know it only took Germany three days to conquer France in WWII? And that's because it was raining!”

John Xereas, Manager, DC Improv

-----------------------------French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney

The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of Paris which caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to surrender to a group of Czech tourists!

Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

"The French? No use after lunch" - Captain George Mainwaring.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I keep thinking of this and maybe because I have been to Thailand a lot more than other places but I have had problems in Thailand that I just blow off because I can handle them
    But I have had a decent bit

LB's trying to start a fight with my wife and I for no reason
    LB's everywhere on beach road getting physically close to me when my hotel was on beach road
    A bg trying to bottle me when I politely declined her advances at a BBQ stall
    Our car being keyed in Singburi disco parking lot
    Getting money stolen(only 1k baht) walking to 7-11 in BKK

None of this is even close to "deadly" but the more I think about it, I have way more trouble in Thailand than any other country, where I have had none
    I've been in many dangerous places in Africa & Asia including Afghanistan but although I think the article is disproportionate, there are many dangers and very easy to get into dangers due to the proper lack of rule of law which creates many opportunities and instances for big trouble especially in tourist hot spots but not solely

some examples I know or have experienced directly

drink driving related accidents including death
    inter community violence between Thai's
    vice related crime such as getting drugged & mugged & disagreements with prostitutes and their friends
    General muggings in tourist hotspots
    Road accidents even when not drunk
    Natural disasters by the barrel load
    Civil unrest including coups

I've pretty much been caught in these to one extent or another

Now if you're a tourist and careful you can avoid most of this but if you're an expat then there is a good chance you will have been caught up in quite a list of these

Thailand IMO is fkin dangerous much more so than my home country

PS although all of the above, it doesn't put me off staying there; actually the lawlessness element is one of the bohemian attractions
    Last edited by Geespot; 19th November 2014 at 00:34.
    Tarzan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    hang on....you're fkn Glaswegian...555
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    hang on....you're fkn Glaswegian...555
    Exactly!! Thailand is way more dangerous than Glasgow 555555555, albeit coming from Glasgow certainly prepares you for Thailand
    LivinLOS, Yes and nelsonone like this.

I've been in many dangerous places in Africa & Asia including Afghanistan but although I think the article is disproportionate, there are many dangers and very easy to get into dangers due to the proper lack of rule of law which creates many opportunities and instances for big trouble especially in tourist hot spots but not solely

some examples I know or have experienced directly

drink driving related accidents including death
    inter community violence between Thai's
    vice related crime such as getting drugged & mugged & disagreements with prostitutes and their friends
    General muggings in tourist hotspots
    Road accidents even when not drunk
    Natural disasters by the barrel load
    Civil unrest including coups

I've pretty much been caught in these to one extent or another

Now if you're a tourist and careful you can avoid most of this but if you're an expat then there is a good chance you will have been caught up in quite a list of these

PS although all of the above, it doesn't put me off staying there; actually the lawlessness element is one of the bohemian attractions
    Crossing over from the other thread with a similar discussion..

Another thing is you see a modern level of infrastructure, and assume that comes with a modern level of social development, that the police will be on the side of who is right, not simply on the side of which one they can extort the most.. That as they have red lights, they will obey them.. That as there are security guards in the night clubs, they will stop rather than assist fights.. Things like that..

Exactly!! Thailand is way more dangerous than Glasgow 555555555, albeit coming from Glasgow certainly prepares you for Thailand
    Yeah, in either one - you won't have a fkn clue what is being said to you .......
    LivinLOS and Dkdude like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast