Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: terrorism comes to Aus/ Sydney

terrorism comes to Aus/ Sydney

Looks like they're finally making their move.
    It's been brewing worldwide and it was always only a matter of time it came here.

Martin Place cafe siege | Sydney CBD hostages at Lindt cafe

It's early days in the siege, (2 hours) so I don't want to speculate to much, but there is a horrible feeling around town right now, news tv and radio non stop coverage.

Just seen pics of a 'senior' looking guy in the shop 'directing' others and carrying a backpack or the like, also speculation there are 4 other 'devices' around sydney.

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

twittter, https://twitter.com/search?q=%23martinplace&src=tyah

Scary stuff right now, hope all hostages come out safe.

Yeah been following this a bit this morning.. Not good at all..

Hate to even mention it really.. But always been surprised how Thailands southern insurgency has never looked at tourism and out of those more malay provinces.

Watching it now on BBC World News, definitely scary stuff. Fingers crossed it ends peacefully.

K2
    Thoughts and hopes go out that this is resolved without innocent loss of life.
    soupdragon likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    And the fuckwits responsible get a bullet between their eyes !!

Still going, now night falling, maybe an advantage to the police. ??
    Unprecedented events in Australia

Über charging Over 4x normal charges. $100+

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    And the fuckwits responsible get a bullet between their eyes !!
    I don't get this response.

Surely you'd want to see them punished properly?

A lifetime in prison would be a worse punishment than a quick death. It would also serve as a warning to potential copycats.

As for the hostage taker himself, everything seems to say he's acting alone. So far his only demands are for an ISIS flag and live radio chat with our Prime Minister, Tony Abbott. This kind of tells me three things...
    1. He's not actually affiliated with ISIS.
    2. He's got no plan.
    3. He's deffo got a screw loose (probably more than one screw loose).

So chances are hes a bit mentally ill, not that this excuses his actions mind you but it goes a long way towards explaining them. Personally I want him to see the front of a judge and a long prison sentence to show others who have the same idea that you will live to regret your mistake.
    LivinLOS likes this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I don't get this response.

Surely you'd want to see them punished properly?

A lifetime in prison would be a worse punishment than a quick death. It would also serve as a warning to potential copycats.

As for the hostage taker himself, everything seems to say he's acting alone. So far his only demands are for an ISIS flag and live radio chat with our Prime Minister, Tony Abbott. This kind of tells me three things...
    1. He's not actually affiliated with ISIS.
    2. He's got no plan.
    3. He's deffo got a screw loose (probably more than one screw loose).

So chances are hes a bit mentally ill, not that this excuses his actions mind you but it goes a long way towards explaining them. Personally I want him to see the front of a judge and a long prison sentence to show others who have the same idea that you will live to regret your mistake.
    It's called lone wolf action, so most of the above would be more than likely discounted.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Still going, now night falling, maybe an advantage to the police. ??
    Unprecedented events in Australia
    I wouldn't say this is unprecedented.

We've had hostage crisis's before, Hectorville in 2011, Cangai in 1993, the 1984 Sydney bank robbery.

I think the link to religion in this one has been seriosuly overblown by the media. This guy is no more a terrorist than Hectorville's Corbo or Port McArthur's Bryant. Sure hes a criminal and throw the book at him but to call him a terrorist is disingenuous. He wants to be known as that when in reality he's an ameture crook, sadly the media seems happy to massage his ego for ratings (2GB is the worst offender).
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    It's called lone wolf action, so most of the above would be more than likely discounted.
    I doubt it.

He's at best a copycat, more than likely has never been in contact with ISIS or any other terrorist organisation.

The guy himself is pretty incompetent. 5 of his hostages escaped out the back door.

The target is one of no strategic value (a cafe), offers no protection, was quickly surrounded by the police and the fact that he hasn't actually done anything (he hasn't actually killed anyone or made any serious demands) denotes that there was practically no organisation behind this. Some guy who's a beer short of a six pack who was seduced by ISIS in the news and took the first target he saw. Now he realises he's not in control, things haven't worked out and he doesn't know what to do.

However this is a good thing because it gives the police time to wear him down and talk him out.

There's every chance this could end without bloodshed, and I sincerely hope it does... because we're not actually dealing with a hardened terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I wouldn't say this is unprecedented.

We've had hostage crisis's before, Hectorville in 2011, Cangai in 1993, the 1984 Sydney bank robbery.

I think the link to religion in this one has been seriosuly overblown by the media. This guy is no more a terrorist than Hectorville's Corbo or Port McArthur's Bryant. Sure hes a criminal and throw the book at him but to call him a terrorist is disingenuous. He wants to be known as that when in reality he's an ameture crook, sadly the media seems happy to massage his ego for ratings (2GB is the worst offender).
    I don't want to get into a pissing completion mate, but you are kidding surely, you must have just googled " siege in Australia" , your examples are no-where near on the same scale as this event, not sure if you've ever been to Sydney or Martin Place, this is the center of Sydney (the largest city in Australia). This is UNPRECEDENTED

Comparing country bumpkin events is an insult to the what is happening right now ( and i don't discount the importance to the events and to the families involved in previous circumstances, and I apologise upfront for that).

NSW police have activated 'Taskforce Pioneer' and i'd say they know better you either you or me.

https://plus.google.com/+sydneymorni...ts/Kcn59GBBiBX

On the other note, i've got to say I thought 2GB were awesome today and more up to date than any television stations, seemingly IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    What Kevin said. Sorry to see this happening...

Maybe the problem is that the guy just isn't happy enough. Someone should do something to make him happy and he will immediately stop being mean.

Hope the whole thing ends with minimal loss of life, but I don't like where the whole thing is going down...doesn't bode well IMO.

I think the first thing to do, is to try and find empathy with him, and try to understand where his mind is.
    tnlawyer and obes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I think the first thing to do, is to try and find empathy with him, and try to understand where his mind is.
    Ideally his mind will end up splattered all over the wall.
    obes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Ideally his mind will end up splattered all over the wall.
    "Great minds think alike...". 555

I was going to add that the easiest way to "get into his head", would be with a 70gr 5.6mm cartridge!
    andymon likes this.

And the idiocy of the minds continue… Let’s just kill all of the criminals coz that will end all crime, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    And the idiocy of the minds continue… Let’s just kill all of the criminals coz that will end all crime, right?
    When the criminal is holding a group of hostages and you have an opportunity to end the danger by killing him, then yeah I think sending in a rifle round is better than sending in a package of cotton candy and gumdrops.
    Dkdude, obes and andymon like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast