Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Obtaining a western passport and going right back to Thailand

Obtaining a western passport and going right back to Thailand

I now know 3-4 thai girls who have done this.
    As soon as they gain Canadian citizenship and get a passport, they head right back to Thailand and live and it pisses me off.
    Our countries afford people to come and become a citizen and gain opportunities
    It may not be illegal but is sucks and it is not the spirit it is meant to be.

They should put stipulations on naturalized citizens

What is the point of them doing that , I would have thought they want a passport to enable them to live and work freely ?
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I am not sure what the problem is here. What do they gain from a Canadian passport in Thailand?

My girlfriends plan is to go back to Thailand once she has a UK passport for a good few months just to see how she truely feels, i'm pretty sure she will come back to the UK and so is she. But when she hasn't been home for a good 5 years she's going to miss it. As far as I know it seems very hard for people to legitimately live in the UK if you do it all legally and through the right channels and pretty easy if you don't...

^ going back for an extended holiday sounds fair enough , but there seems no point in going through the whole protacted process of gaining a passport , if your long term plans are not to stay in that country
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    ^ going back for an extended holiday sounds fair enough , but there seems no point in going through the whole protacted process of gaining a passport , if your long term plans are not to stay in that country
    Yes true, but having the choice is the best for them, is it not.
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NOM1S View Post
    Yes true, but having the choice is the best for them, is it not.
    but just like PR, they should have to stay in the country for x amount of the days for the 1st 3-5 years to keep the passport
    again, countries are allowing them to obtain citizenship, not to just use them for a passport

I dont really see an issue.. This is exactly what my brother and his wife are doing.. The brits have tightened the system, moved the goalposts, made the road longer and longer and more expensive as the process has happened..

As soon as she gets the citizenship she is free of that process.. The goal is not to live in the UK forever, the goal is to live and work and contribute there long enough to get the same kind of freedom we are born with. She just wants the freedom to travel that she does not have as a Thai.

I dont see much wrong with that.
    K2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Because a western passport isnt the key to just 'that country' its the key to any country.. Who wants to live forever through 9 months rainy cold UK winters ?? But with a passport she can get on a plane, without any visa clearance, and fly to florida, to Oz, to anywhere..

I think you said it: the visa is the key....it is just a pain in the ass to go through the visa process for any traveling you may want to do, and having a western passport alleviates that headache.

Can't understand this thread???what pisses you off so much about this??? What does your country do for them for free???
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I think you said it: the visa is the key....it is just a pain in the ass to go through the visa process for any traveling you may want to do, and having a western passport alleviates that headache.
    And we get it simply by birthright.. To begrudge someone working so hard to legally attain the same seems a bit hard no ??

I understand Pauls mindset of "your being given a right to live here.. Be grateful" kind of attitude, but in fact that isnt many peoples goal.

The way I see it, the period up to citizenship is when they pay their dues.. After that they get the prize.. No more days incountry, tests, or other trials.. Done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    And we get it simply by birthright.. To begrudge someone working so hard to legally attain the same seems a bit hard no ??

I understand Pauls mindset of "your being given a right to live here.. Be grateful" kind of attitude, but in fact that isnt many peoples goal.

The way I see it, the period up to citizenship is when they pay their dues.. After that they get the prize.. No more days incountry, tests, or other trials.. Done deal.
    I'm puzzled too.
    Hasn't Paulie talked about living in Hua Hin, or Boston - after he and she gets Canadian passports?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    I'm puzzled too.
    Hasn't Paulie talked about living in Hua Hin, or Boston - after he and she gets Canadian passports?
    no, that is a retirement sort of thing, way down the line

she would be getting a Canadian passport or a US passport to live there, not to use the system to gain a western passport

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Can't understand this thread???what pisses you off so much about this??? What does your country do for them for free???
    what does my country do for free?
    hmm........schooling, health care, increased opportunities to make a hell of lot more money than most could in their own country

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    what does my country do for free?
    hmm........schooling, health care, increased opportunities to make a hell of lot more money than most could in their own country
    Free adult schooling ?? Free Healthcare ??

Opportunity to work yes..

I dont really see an issue.. This is exactly what my brother and his wife are doing.. The brits have tightened the system, moved the goalposts, made the road longer and longer and more expensive as the process has happened..

As soon as she gets the citizenship she is free of that process.. The goal is not to live in the UK forever, the goal is to live and work and contribute there long enough to get the same kind of freedom we are born with. She just wants the freedom to travel that she does not have as a Thai.

I dont see much wrong with that.
    i think that is completely wrong, IMO
    the spirit, to me, of allowing people to gain citizenship in your country is so they can live in the country and be actual citizens, living, contributing to that country

and people piss and moan how hard it is for visas, and it is reasons like this that is it hard for visas in the west
    because people abuse the system

I have a western passport, so i don't need a Canadian one but i would be proud to have one because i feel the country has done a lot for me
    I have made more money in this country than i ever imagined i would, they allowed my wife to come live with me before the US did, the people have been as welcoming to my wife and I more than i could ever dream they would be
    And that, to me, is the spirit of countries allowing people to immigrate to their countries
    not to game the system

Free adult schooling ?? Free Healthcare ??

Opportunity to work yes..
    yes
    if you are a permanent residence in Canada, you would have free healthcare if needed
    my stepson can go to any public school for free the day he lands, and he will also have access to Canadian universities, which are heavily subsidized by the govt so they are not expensive

Just like that Thaksin guy, getting a passport from Montenegro?

And now...getting his Thai passport back?

Uhhhhmmmm, nevermind. 555

What a non issue.. Millions of people all over the world hold passports of other countries. countries they were not perhaps born in or reside in. And that includes me..
    In my case it is just purely for ease of travel and visa purposes. Why go single out a couple of TG's without knowing their reasons???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast